Breast Feeding and Massage

I am wondering if it is safe to get a body massage while I am breast feeding. I know that during a massage toxins are released from the muscles, but does it effect the milk? I am super sore and would love to go for a real massage....I actually have a 3 yr old gift certificate. :) Yeah. Thanks.

I had a massage while I was breatfeeding and she did tell me that toxins could be released, but I never had any issues with it.

Just be sure to drink plenty of water before and after the massage to flush your system.
Toxins such as lactic acid from muscle use are not a concern for breast feeding as they are natural by products of the body.

Enjoy your massage - you deserve it!!!

L. B.
Massage Therapist

Just make sure you go to someone who is familiar with post-natal techniques. I had a massage just a few days post delivery and all was fine.

no worries. its totally safe. im a massage therapist and your milk is safe. just make sure you wear nursing pads or put a towel under your breasts so as not to make a mess with your milk!

Hi C.:

It should be safe. After getting any bodywork, drink water throughout the day and everyday. The ideal amount is half your body's weight in ounces, so if you weigh 140lbs, 70 ounces of water is what that body type requires in order to flush toxins, hydrate and enliven the entire body, mind and emotions.

Also, why are you sore? My office offers Foot Reflexology, which helps to bring the entire body into balance via the feet, along with tightening the abdomen post-birth and losing post-baby weight.

Let me know if you are interested.

Best,
N.
Natural Healthcare Practitioner
www.wholecreations.com/wombfull.html
###-###-####

Go for it! I'm a massage therapist, and it will not influence the milk, I promise.
Just tell her to stay away from your boobs if she doesn't want milk in her face! ;)

It is my understanding that the more relaxed you are, the better the breastfeeding experience.

With regard to the toxins released, you could try to time your massage right after a feeding. That way, you have more time for your milk to come in and "dilute" the toxins. Another option if you're very concerned about toxins, is to pump enough beforehand to enable you to skip a feeding. I mean, a feeding on you. You or someone else could feed your little one a bottle (or a cup, or what have you) while you pump and dump.

Someone else you could ask is a lactation consultant. Should be on staff at a local hospital. If they don't, they might be able to point you in the right direction for one.

I would hope the professional person giving you the massage would be able to address some of your concerns as well. Perhaps make another recommendation.

Most importantly, DO IT! For you and for your little one. A little pampering goes a long way. Especially when you are breastfeeding. Enjoy the experience. Blessings!

C.,

I asked the exact same question when I was breastfeeding. There is no danger of contaminating your milk, so go for it and have a great experience. Drink lots of water too, always a good idea after a massage.

R.

1 / 3