Breast Feed Baby with Stinky Toots, Is This Normal?

4 month old breast-feed baby with BM's only once a week and stinky stinky stinky toots. Help! Is this normal? I have heard it is, but boy...it does not sound healthy.

My daughters toots smelled like rotten eggs. My mother-in-law would criticize me sooo much. But she was the best baby ever. I felt like as long as the gas was coming out and not staying in then she was fine. But I do agree with some of the other responses, she would definately have atleast one bowel movement a day if not more.

The stinky toots are caused by whatever you are eating. Unfortunatley the most heathy foods like vegtables, salad etc are the stinkiest.. Dont worry its normal

If you eat corn, your baby will have the foulest smelling toots. I am sure there are other things but corn did it for me and my little "stinker".

That is NOT normal. A baby his age should be going multiple times a day--especially being breastfeed. The "toots" are telling you that he needs to go---just like adults when they get constipated---it is a blessing that he is "tooting"--otherwise he would have severe colic! You need to discuss this with your doctor---do you take vitamins with a lot of iron in them---iron constipates infants. Look at your diet carefully-----it could be affecting your milk. If he is on any cereal or fruit---has it always been this way---when did it start---try to figure out what changed about his diet when it began---but get him some help---that can turn into something very painful for him.

Me: Mom of 2--Nana of 3--breastfeed my own!

It's been a while, but I breast fed all 4 of my children. They can get gas from the foods you eat as well. So, check out what you're eating. If you are getting gas, they could too.

OMG!!! I just wanted to thank you for a good laugh! My kids are 11 & 9 now, but your request brought back my memory of thinking the same thing! Pee-uuuu-we! I assure you, it is normal. Enjoy your precious, bubbly baby!

Every child is different of course, when my son was little he would have 1 BM a week. His DR said that for him that was normal and that as he got older it would change. It also could depend on what you are eating as well.

Oh my goodness! My baby (who just turned one!) was breastfed only and I could not believe the smells that came out of his little behind, and he was only 1 month old when it started. I found that frequency of BM's directly correlated to the gas. If he took an antibiotic, which normally would cause diarrhea but in his case made him actually poop daily (he would go 7-10 days between BM's), he did not have gas. However, when he would only go 1x week, horrible gas. My doctor was not concerned either since he was breastfed, but he would act really uncomfortable after not going for 3-4 days so my doctor said I could try giving him dark Karo syrup. He recommended putting it in a bottle and mix with the breastmilk, but he wouldn't take a bottle. I would dilute about 1 tbls of syrup in water, just to thin it out, and squirted down him with a medicine syringe. Once he started cereal, which your baby is old enough now, I put a large dollop of syrup in his cereal every night, and it did the trick. It works because of the fiber in the syrup, and he would go every 1-3 days instead of every 7-10 days, he acted much more comfortable, and no stinky gas!

take an inventory of what you are eating. Remember that what you eat passes to the baby. It is normal if you are eating gassy foods like Iceburg lettuce.

1 / 3