Breast Fed Baby Allergic to Dairy Products

Well, after a long seven months of not knowing why my son wouldn't gain weight like he should, and being a very coliky baby.. we have finally figured out that he is allergic to dairy products.. so I am having to go off of all dairy myself since he is mostly breast-fed. By questions is-- how strict do I have to be in my diet? I know that milk, cheese, yogurt, etc is out.. but do I have to avoid baked goods that have milk in them or ranch dressing, things like that? Anyone out that that has done this-- please let me know- I happen to love dairy products so this isn't going to be easy but I will do anything to have his little tummy feel better!

Well I and he have been off all dairy for two weeks now- and it is like we have a whole new baby. He is happy, crawling, pulling himself up, and the spitting up has almost stopped completely!!! Thank you for all of the input! It is still hard to find meals for myself that don't include dairy, but it has helped me shed the last few pounds of the baby weight and I plan on staying 100% dairy free for at least another week and then start experimenting with what he can and cannot handle. Thanks again!

There's a yahoo group called foodlab (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/foodlab/). I heard they're the place to go when dealing with allergies in a little one, giving sound advice and recipes, etc. Many moms on there are breastfeeding mothers altering their diets for their breastfed babies. I'm not a member, but I know many of the foodlab moms through another yahoo group, and they are very supportive! HTH

Oh, and congratulations for breastfeeding! :)

With my son, I could have anthing cooked or baked, because it altered the chemical makeup and, therefore, wasn't something he would react to. I switched to almond milk, almond cheese, etc... It's really good, and they carry a lot of it at Sprouts. Safeway even has the milk. I also had to be careful about the proteins, though, as they are found in a lot of places you wouldn't expect them!

I had the same problem w/ 2 of my 3 babies. I found that eliminating everything w/ dairy was neccessary at first. It seems like everything has milk in it. After a few weeks though I was able to add back in foods that contained dairy as an ingredient as long as it didn't over do it. My 7 mo. old now will tolerate small quantities of dairy. A slice of cheese or small glass a milk a day and she does ok. My advice would be to eliminate it all and then try a bit at a time. Good luck!

Mangosteen Juice helped my sons very much. I can give you recommendations on good brands to try if you want. Just an ounce or two a day does wonders with allergies. My oldest was able to use goat's milk and buffalo yogurt even though he couldn't have cow's milk products. It's not common that it works that way, but it is a good solution if it works. He had no problem switching to cow's milk when he outgrew the allergy. I understand what you're going through. I hope he outgrows his allergies!

Looks like you've got alot of good advice. I have a 7 month old daughter with a milk protein allergy and have been off all dairy for 4 months. some babies are different, so its hard to say if everything will bother him. i would suggest getting off of it for about 6 weeks to totally clear the protein from your system if you want to continue breastfeeding. in addition to avoiding obvious dairy products as well as casein, you'll need to avoid whey products and those containing lactoglobulin. its amazing what they'll put that stuff in. some canned tunas even have casein in them! also, watch for soy products, as there can be a crossover allergy with a milk allergy. once you eliminate dairy, you'll be able to tell if that bothers him or not. good luck. its not the easiest, but its certainly not impossible.

I would have to say avoid all dairy at first. Usually with milk protein intolerance (I am assuming this rather than a lactose allergy?) Breastfed babies will do better than formula fed babies simply because mothers milk is made for them, but if he is not gaining and have a sour tummy, maybe his allergy is a bit more severe. Definately get on a supplement (are you still taking prenatals?) and talk to the ped about getting poly vi sol for the baby.
If you go a few months with no dairy and he is doing well, just reintroduce things one at a time to you diet. Maybe start with things like yo-baby yogurt as these are made to be a little more sensitive. Make sure to eat a lot of green veggies as they provide a lot of the vit d you are not getting from the dairy.
If all else fails, you could supplement him with Neocate, or possibly Nutramigem/ Alimentum.
Make sure to have a complete allergy panel done at age one before you start any "real" foods.
Good luck J., allergic babies can be very stressful, but once you learn to "go with the flow" it will all start to fall into place:)

I am currently dealing with this! My 5mo ds has this problem. We realized at about 1 1/2m that something wasn't right; lots of spit-up, seemed like diarrhea, very gassy, and only slept 20 minutes at a time and only if you held him-very differrent than our first. After doing research I decided to eliminate dairy and about 5days later we had a different baby. It took two weeks for him to be all better though. No products that contain casein or variations, whey, milk solids, caramel, etc. Take it all out for a few weeks to clear both of your systems of it, then try one thing at a time. It is really hard at first and I have lost a lot of weight (not that I'm complaining) but it is worth it. Chocolate and cheese are my weakness but if you allow yourself something else that isn't necessarily healthy for you it will be easier (like dairy free potato chips-regular lays or pringles- check the labels!) Graham crackers, oreos, Smart Balance light for a buttery spread (regular and margarine both have dairy), if you can do soy ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips, vanilla rice milk is okay, just discovered vanilla silk (soy milk) and it reminds me of ice cream, hershey's chocolate syrup. We also found he can't do eggs so I find vegan recipes make great substitutes for baked goods. Betty Crocker has a great recipe for "chocolate snack cake" that doesn't have dairy. Add a calcium supplement and whatever you use as a milk substitute needs to be fortified (soy, rice milk etc and orange juice). Look at www.kellymom.com it has great resources. If you need ideas for food or a list of hidden dairy, email me. HTH. BTW it really has helped, my son is about 5mo now and weighs 21 pounds!

Both my kids were like that as well. I had to eliminate EVERYTHING that had any sort of dairy in it. The nice thing is, there is lactose free milk, so you can cook with it and drink it to still get the calcium. Actually, there is lactose free cheese and yogurt too, so maybe you could try having those things and see if they bother your son. I feel your pain b/c I love dairy products as well. I didn't know about the lactose free cheese and yogurt at the time, so I ended up stopping the nursing with both of my girls after awhile b/c it was soo hard for me. I wish you luck!

This happened to me!! Don't worry too much. I only cut out direct dairy, not baked goods, etc. I switched to non-dairy creamer for the coffee and soy milk at home (for cereal) and just tried to avoid the rest. Having a piece of pizza now and then or some other treat with dairy on it didn't affect my daughter too much since she wasn't getting a regular dose of it anymore. And the good news - at 11 months we slowly introduced her directly to dairy, starting with yogurt then cheese. Now at 13 months she is drinking whole milk without any problems. So they do indeed grow out of it. Keep up the good work!

I determined that my son was allergic to dairy products when he was seven months old. He kept getting ear infections, over and over. The doc said the last time Well if this doesn't work, we'll have to look at his diet. I said He's completely breast fed! and he responded, Well then we have to look at your diet....I have had a reaction to dairy products but had started eating more because I thought it would be good for the breast milk. Wrong! Anyway, to answer your question--you'll need to do a COMPLETE elimination, which means yes, no baked goods, etc, for one month. After that, try adding some baked goods, ie a muffin, or whatever, and watch your little one for a reaction. One thing that helped me--I determined I had a MILK PROTEIN allergy, not lactose intolerance, so I (we) can get away with goats milk cheeses and sheeps milk cheeses. Look for them at Trader Joe's, best prices and selection. Good luck-it's hard but not impossible! Also, Sunflower market sells soy yogurt (Silk) that is good...once you get far enough away from the cow's milk type. Good Luck!

I went througgh the same thing, my six week old was having bloody stools...you need to be really careful...check the back of all boxed products looking for caseain and whey, they are milk derivitives (SP?) Don't get frustrated is my other advice. SEarch the web, there are a lot of websites, with recepies that you can try. I was doing well for about 5 months, unfortunatley I got sick and my milk dried up, them we used non dairy formula which is expensive! Good luck! C.

1 / 3