Breakouts After Waxing Upper Lip

Hi ladies,
I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with breakouts after waxing your upper lip. I use regular drug-store wax, either Sally Hansen or some similar product (I can't remember the name of the other stuff). Both product the same effect. Within a day or two of waxing I get several pimples on my upper lip. Sometimes they're tiny whiteheads, sometimes they're HUGE welts. Either way they hurt a lot and look terrible. I know they are a result of waxing because I don't get them anywhere else. Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, do you know how I can prevent it?

Using baby powder beforehand and icing afterward REALLY reduced the breakout to one or two small pimples - totally manageable and nothing compared with what I had before. I'll keep doing it! Thanks again.

Hi T.,

I have been waxing my legs, eyebrows and underarms for a very long time (15 years). A few times, I did my lip and had the same experience as you did. Yes, it felt and looked horrible. I never got to a point were it no longer happened. I thought if I waxed the lip regularly it stop but I gave up too soon.

Hi T.,
I can not use wax of any kind, brand, etc. I got severe break outs, I've never tried any other part of my face other than my eye brows and the result after getting them done is horrendous! I guess my face is just too sensitive to have it done. People have tried to convince me that it's because the wax it too hot, but I don't buy that because it's happened more than once at different places so I think I am either allergic or just too sensitive to it. I wouldn't recommend continuing getting it done.

Be well,

Hi T. - I see you already got a ton of responses but one thing no one mentioned was the possiblity of pores being clogged. I know that the sally hansen stuff comes with the Azulene oil to remove the extra wax - which is awesome - BUT what does oil do? Also I think the wax itself tends to clog the pores. This happens to me quite often too. I started using a blemish control like something with salicylic acid or one of the burt's bees one as well as washing my face right after using. I also used to use witch hazel. Beware though - the Burt's bees hurt like crazy to put on right after. I don't think it has anything to do with teh wax not being warm enough or anything like that. I actually find I get less pimples if the wax didn't take as much hair off than normal - like maybe if I didn't get the wax soft enough or if the wax didn't stick well enough. of course then the waxing doesn't look as good and the hair grows back faster. It's a no win situation. I also tried to the Nair for the face and i couldn't stand it as it left it feeling stubbly afterwards. Anyway - good luck with the battle!

Hello,
This actually has happened to me after I have had my eyebrows waxed. I was told to use hydrogen peroxide on the area that was waxed and that would help prevent breakouts. It has worked the few times I tried this.

Hi. You might want to buy this from www.qvc.com -- it is only $21.00 -- Emjoi EpiSlim Portable Hair Remover: "Discreetly compact, the EpiSlim cosmetic hair remover can be taken practically anywhere. It's specifically designed for delicate, sensitive areas such as your upper lip, cheeks, chin, and bikini line with a narrow strip of tweezer discs for gentle epilation. From Emjoi." I buy A LOT of things from QVC and QVC is great! Good luck! http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/para...

Try putting some baby powder on your lip before you wax, and then use a cooling cream/jel after.

Hi T.,

Be well,

this happened to me after going to 2 very nice salons (that used different wax products) so I gave up on waxing my upper lip. I use Surgi cream - I've never ever ever had any issues with it. It works like a charm and is much cheaper than waxing ($5 for a tube that lasts for like a year). If it was your brows or other places I'd encourage you to try again but it is really easy to use cream on this area.

I've only ever gone to a salon to get my eyebrows and upper lip waxed. Every time I go that happens to me. I've gone to 2 different salons and it happened at both. It's probably just your skin reacting to the wax. What helps a little bit for me is to re wash my face after it is waxed. It helps clean the pores out right away so the wax doesn't get in there and stay all day. I don't know if there is a real way to prevent it if you are using wax. Good luck!

The same thing happened to me the first and only time that I waxed my lip myself. I, too, was mortified because the pimples didn't heal for a long time. I think your wax had cooled, so that when you went to pull off the wax, you really had to tear out the hairs. It might help if someone other than you removes the wax. Or, you can pay to have your lip waxed. That was my solution. Good luck!

1 / 3