Breakfast on the Go and Lunch Packing Ideas Please...

I'm a single mom and it doesn't seem like I get a second to relax. We are always on the go and we do eat in the car a-lot (sorry, but that's just how it is).

BREAKFAST:
I am looking for on-the-go healthy/nutritious breakfast suggestions that can be eaten in the car. Are there any great breakfast products you use? I'm hoping there are better solutions than cherrios in a sandwich baggie. I've seen the oatmeal cookies looking things that you warm for 10 seconds and the packs of oatmeal bites - are these any good? What do you recommend (please don't tell me that we need to sit and eat breakfast, I know we should, but that isn't going to happen).

LUNCH:
My daughter doesn't like sandwiches, but loves butter bread. She likes ham (turkey is a second choice) and regular yellow American cheese so I'm thinking about giving her a ham & cheese wrap and a piece of butter bread. I bought baby carrots, mixed berry applesauce and fruit cocktail in natural fruit juice. I'll get 100% juice for her to drink, but what else? What healthy food do you pack for your kids? My daughter would love it if I'd buy her chips, gummies and junk, but I don't want to buy "junk" just to fill her lunch box. I want the food I send for her to be good for her, but I have to make sure she'll really eat it too. She won't eat broccoli, celery or apple slices. Are there any healthy crunchy snacks for in her lunch?

Also, I have acquired all of my mothers belongings after her passing and we are preparing to move this winter so it's not easy to work in the kitchen with all the boxes and stuff in there. I'm looking for minimal to no prep items for both breakfast and lunch.

My daughter does go to daycare and has (until now) eaten breakfast & lunch there. However, she will no longer go to daycare in the morning, I will be taking her directly to school.

Thank you all very much! We've had a rough year, but I live by the saying "What doesn't kill you WILL make you stronger!"

You've ALL given great ideas and suggestions! I can wait to try so of these ideas out! THANKS!!

I always try to pack healthy. Although my daughter is not in school yet, I have always tried to pack my own food or snacks if applicable. For breakfast, Quaker makes a Blueberry muffin bar - it seems to be a little healthier than some of the other breakfast on the go items. Also, there is now a new bagel product that is round and the cream cheese is in the middle. I think they are by Kraft. This is not the healthiest either but they do make whole grain ones. Other ideas - fresh fruit in a to go container she could eat with a plastic fork. Also, for afternoon snack idea - I make my own trail mix. I put mixed nuts (without peanuts since my daughter is allergic), sunflower seeds, small pretzels, craisins, banana chips (whatever - be creative) Always - fresh fruit - grapes, bananas, canelope, apples. Apple chips are another good idea.

What about making a big batch of healthy muffins for breakfast and freezing them in individual baggies? Maybe the night before you can pop them out of the freezer and in the morning they are thawed! Also, Whole Foods has a LOT of healthy "junk" food. My sons cousins always yummy fruit snacks and other junk food like that so I go to whole foods to get him products that look and taste the same (often better) but don't have the hydrogenated oils, preservatives and high fructose corn syrup.

I am really just responding to the loss of your mother. My mother had reoccurences of breast cancerfrom the time she was 39 for 25 years and this past January passed away from it in her spine.I was lucky enough to have my mother for so long but had a hard time losing her.She would have been 72.I finally went to visit my father in Florida and being around all of her stuff I felt her presence.I know my mother is not suffering and is in a better place .I sense she is always near me and for the first time in 8 months I stopped crying and longing for her.If you need to talk about it and also to be more up on your own checkups ,I have gone through genetic testing.It is a very emotional road that changes your life drastically when a mother battles breast cancer.Sorry I am not responding to the snack issue.
Goodluck! L.

It looks like you have some good advice. One other thing I have done is make cheese quesadillas and sometimes slip in a little meat. You can freeze the qesadilla shells and then stick them in a toaster oven or quesadilla maker. Then, just slice it up with a pizza cutter and go.

On a side note...we used to feed our child in the back seat until we had a big scare. He choked on a chicken nugget bite and he couldn't even lean forward to cough it out since he was strapped in. Luckily there was a berm and we pulled right over and got him out of the seat. It seemed to take forever. He was turning colors and was only able to cough it out with gravity on his side. So, from then on we've limited the things we allow in the car to things that would be difficult to choke on...drinks, cheerios, and even "first foods" like Gerber freeze dried fruit pieces.

R.,

So sorry about your mom. Please get yearly mammograms for yourself, with that kind of history.

BREAKFAST: make these fabulous muffins, filled with sausage,eggs & cheese. I use Morningstar veggie sausage patties, just microwave, then cut up. If you need someone to order the Tastefully Simple Bountiful Beer Bread Mix from, let me know. It is fabulous in these breakfast muffins, and just as directed on the box!

Breakfast on the Go!
Ingredients
8 eggs, or equivalent egg substitute
Black pepper to taste
Bountiful Beer Bread Mix®
1 lb. browned, drained ground breakfast sausage
12 oz. beer (lemon lime seltzer is great, too)
1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Mix eggs and pepper; scramble in skillet. Combine bread mix and beer (or seltzer); add well drained sausage, eggs and cheese. Bake in greased muffin tins at 375° for about 35 minutes or until done. Makes 14-18 servings that freeze great! Just take out of freezer the night before, thaw in fridge, and microwave to eat “on the go!”

LUNCH: My 9 y.o. son's picky, too.
1. Try a whole wheat wrap with peanut butter and a small sliced banana (that'd be good for breakfast, too!)
2. Reduced-sodium soup or
3. the 'least bad for you' spaghettios/raviolis you can find, in a thermos bowl
4. Salsa (veggie loaded, if she'll eat it- again, Tastefully Simple's Corn, Black Bean Salsa is mild, kid-friendly, and loaded with corn, beans and tomatoes) with pita chips, her baby carrots, or just cut your whole wheat wraps into triangles or strips with a pizza cutter, and bake them to crispiness the next time your oven's on for something else. Kids love to dip, and that way, you can cut down the sodium.

Best of luck to you ~ I actually got some great ideas to try on my son here, too, so thanks for the post!

If you need someone to get the Tastefully Simple item(s) from:
www.tastefullysimple.com/web/mmazer
I did have a mamasource listing with offer here, but if it's no longer showing, please tell me you found me here, and I'll be sure to give you a gift!

Hi R....I have a daughter that hates sandwiches too! There is nothing wrong with a baggy with meats & cheese and a baggy with crackers to eat with or layer onto. salami, ham, turkey, chedder, provolne, mozzarella, colby-jack, even baby swiss or american works well with it all. String cheese is great in the morning or at lunch. Nutra-grain ceral bars are great and come in different fruits. The milk and ceral bars are good, but really hard. How about regular old-fashioned granola bars? My girls just re-discovered how much they loved those this summer. Those go great in lunches and for breakfast. Depending on your school most of the schools offer breakfast and lunches at reasonalble prices (almost cheaper than packing) and are healthy in "sneaky" ways because of the mandated standards. So don't count them out completely. Don't forget it's always cool to buy lunch on pizza day! LOL Good luck and best wishes!

I would invest in some healthy natural bars-not the gorcery store kind with High fructose corn syrup and chemicals, but the ones you find at health food stores. I feed these to my daughter in the car and would send them to school. They are expensive in stores, but you can get them for much cheaper by the case at Vitacost.com. The Organic Food Bar Kids Oohmega! Food Bar Cherry Pie is $9.00 for a box of 10, but each one is like a meal (they're like$3 a piece in health food stores. Nothing's easier than unwrapping a bar. Bananas are easy too. I always pass back(to the car seat) slices of cheese with healthy bars or natural crackers or whole grain toast etc. There are lots of good healthy chip options now for her lunch. My daughter loves the organic blue corn baked chips. Utz has a brand at Weiss that is cheaper than the others. My daughter likes baggies of sandwiches-whole grain toast and almond butter-cut into small squares. They stick together, are filling and very nutritious. Good luck!

Wow! Best of luck! I am so impressed with you ... it sounds like you are just an amazing woman and mom!

Breakfast - cereal bars, bananas, granola with yogurt (although yogurt may be tough in the car) and milk to drink. They actually make milk in single servings now. I buy them for my son to pack in his lunch. I find them either in the breakfast isle or the juice isle.

Lunch - Your ideas sound great already! I love the ham and cheese roll up idea. I don't know what your daughter likes, but hard boiled eggs are easy to make ahead and send to school. Granola is a good crunchy item. My son really likes veggie chips. If she likes baby carrots they are nice and crunchy too. If she likes nuts sending a small baggie of cashews, almonds or pistachios might be good. Graham crackers or animal crackers might be good too. I find yogurt or applesauce is an easy lunch item,too.

I'm with you ... I don't want to send the junk either. I honestly have found some really delicious items in the organic section of the store. That way when I do send a cookie or something like that it doesn't have all of the high fructose stuff in it.

Best of luck!

1 / 3