Breakfast Ideas for Large Group

We are going on a family vacation with my husband's siblings, parents, and nieces/nephews next weekend. Each family is in charge of a certain meal for the entire weekend. We are in charge of breakfasts for 3 mornings. The cabin we are staying in has a stoveTOP but NO OVEN! As far as I can tell, there is also no microwave. We will be feeding 8 children (ages 1 to 7) and 9 adults. I am in need of kid-friendly breakfasts that I can either make on the stovetop or be able to bring along (There is a refrigerator). I appreciate any help... I don't want to be stuck with cold cereal and toaster waffles all weekend! :) Thanks, in advance.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am always SO impressed by the responses I get. I'd expected 3 or 4 answers and I got SO MANY good ideas! My husband is strictly a bacon and eggs person (which I am not -- haha) so the frut/yogurt parfait, fruit salad, breakfast tacos, and omelette stations sound amazing. Now I just need to decide which ideas to use this year and which ones to hold on to for next year! Thank you for helping me. We should have an amazing vacation with all your help... Or at least breakfast will be amazing!

Pancakes, eggs, bacon/sausage, melon. Make faces on pancakes with fruit for the children. Pancakes topped with fruit and whipped cream. Then there's scrambled eggs. You can make them more filling with mushrooms, tomatoes(chopped), onions, bacon bits. Take a waffle iron or two and let them make their own waffles (kids love this) and don't forget the powdered sugar. Don't forget plenty of fresh fruit.

Do the omelets in a bag. Everyone puts their name on their quart size zip bag in permanent marker. Bring a BIG pot of water to a boil. Everyone adds eggs, ham, cheese, veggies, salt, pepper, whatever you have and they want! Zip it shut without any air and squish it together and throw it in the pot. Cook about 15 min for well done, about 12 for eggs a little undercooked. Good luck!

Getting a couple of laves of French bread, some eggs (eggs don't really have to be in the fridge), milk, vanilla, and some other stuff will make easy French toast. A huge box of pancake mix, a couple bottles of syrup and some margarine will make yummy pancakes.

I always used my old Taste of Home magazines to get idea for a crowd. They used to have a page called food for a crowd. It had recipes for groups ranging from 15 to 100.

Any thing you normally make for breakfast will be good just more to cook and more time to prepare. If you had a stove the Taste of Home recipe for baked French toast is VERY good but it's too soggy to cook any way except in the 13x9 cake pan, it soaks milk and stuff up into it all night.

Honestly, I love to cook breakfasts for large groups in the crockpot. There are tons of recipes for breakfast casseroles, cobblers/crisps and quiches, and you can usually set it at night. I serve these with fruit/yogurt/toast/englsh muffins. In the morning its so easy to put out the fruit, yogurt and toast, then slice and serve whats in the crockpot.
At first my family thought I was nuts for bringing my crockpot camping with us.... =) nothing beats a good warm breakfast. Good Luck.

french toast is easy and can make a lot in a short time. i add milk to the eggs to make it go further. western hashbrowns are my favorite. you can add anything to them like with omelets: ham, cheese, green peppers, onions, bacon bits, tomatoes, anything you want. have fun!

S. m

this is easily made ahead and reheats beautifully

Breakfast casserole
8 slices white bread torn into pieces
1 pound link sausage cooked and cut up
8 eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk

grease a baking dish and put the bread and sausage in it. Beat the eggs with milk (add a bit of salt) and pour over then top with cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate overnight. Next day mix 1/2 cup milk with soup and spoon over top. Bake 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. This microwaves beautifully and is also great for brunch because of the previous day prep and long cooking time

The two things that come to mind w/stove-top only are english muffin breakfast sandwiches and scrambled egg burritos... both shouldn't take too long to make for everyone either. or good ol pancakes with fruit... or you could even do like a yogurt and granola station... with a couple diff yogurts, granola, different berries, nuts and honey. Maybe throw in a little cottege cheese for the non-yogurt eaters.

If they have an outlet, you're in luck. Egg bake in the crockpot. Worked great for me.

8-12 hours
low
Dz eggs/cup of milk
Bag of hashbrowns
ham/bacon/sausage (your choice)
cheese (shredded colby) (your choice)

-cresco the crock pot (the sides will stick is not correctly done)
-layer of hash
-layer of meat
-layer of cheese
repeat
When finished put the entire batch of eggs over it. Top with cheese (DONE)

If you can, stir every few hours. If you start it and stay up late and play with the other adults :), this would be a good time to do so. Good luck!

FYI: I feed 14 adults with the above recipe

You already have great ideas - I would bring that premade pancake mix... it doesn't have to be refrigerated so there will be extra room for the delicious fresh fruit! :)

I got all excited when I read your heading....I have an AWSOME breakfast cassarole...but sadly, it has to be baked in an oven :(
So, I thought, what can she do?
How about breakfast tacos? as long as you make scrambed eggs, have all the "fixin's" IE; bacon, sausage, onion, bell pepper, etc...everyone can "custom" their own likes!
Also, you can have packaged muffins, cresants (sp?) and bagels. They too, can be accompinied with cream cheese, tomato and breakfast fixin's.
Good Luck...no oven and micro? you're a braver woman than me!!!
M:)

1 / 3