Breakfast Ideas for a Self Feeding 9 Month Old

Hi ladies... I need some help with what to feed my 9 month old for breakfast. She is very independent and won't let me feed her. She is experimenting with the spoon, but not very good at it yet. So far we give her ripe fruit(melons, kiwi, blueberries, etc), kashi's version of cheerios, and egg yolks. I am running out of finger food ideas for breakfast. We don't eat processed foods and try to keep an organic kitchen. Thanks in advance!

chunks of avocado. also toasted whole grain bread with hummus (my daughter's favorite is lemon). She'll lick the hummus off and gum the toast.

My daughter is only 7 months so we have not tried too much stuff yet but she likes Tofu, Kashi waffles (the blueberry ones are YUMMY), frozen whole grain/multigrain bagels (these seem to help teething issues too).
We also seriously limit processed foods and refined sugar, and eat a mostly organic diet.
Are you a veggie too? I'm trying to find good meat-free protein ideas for her.

I second the Trader Joe's French Toast - my son loves it and it's so easy. I spread a thin layer of apricot jam on it for him. But do you consider that processed? You could make your own French Toast, I'm sure.

And, this is also sort of processed and maybe your daughter isn't ready for it yet, but Earth's Best makes strawberry and apple snack bars (like Nutra Grain bars) that are really soft. You can cut them into small pieces. And Whole Foods' brand (365) of cereal bars are even softer. The blueberry ones are great.

And if you're interested when your little one's ready, I recommend Natural Ovens bagels - they're much softer than regular bagels and all have a lot of Omega 3. My son has been mooching mine each morning for the last few days!

My daughter loves frozen fruit. I opt for the generic brand but I think Cascadian Farms is a good organic brand. It's easy and you don't always have to have fresh fruit on hand. Yo Baby yogurt is delicious and you can get that with cereal mixed it. My daughter also loves Earth's Best oatmeal although I just switched her to regular oatmeal now (she's 13 months now). Cheese is always good. You can even get it pre-packaged in little pieces which is great for the diaper bag. Also, someone else mentioned it, she doesn't care if she eats "lunch" food at breakfast. Whatever works.....

I just tried french toast this morning. Made with just egg yolk and whole milk, cooked with butter. It wasn't sweet, so maybe crushed banana in the mixture would make it extra yummy. She played with it a lot, but did manage to eat some.

Lots of good ideas here... my 10 month old is starting to refuse too. I'm gonna make healthy pancakes and freeze them!

M.,
It's hard to keep things varied! Some of my son's favorites were cubed avacado, tofu (buy the firm kind that's refrigerated) whole grain bread with peanut butter. You might want to pick up "Simply Natural Baby Food" or "Super Baby Food" which have some instant cereal:
Put 1/2 cup raw, hulled sunflower seeds or almonds, 2 cups rolled oats (I use bob's red mill 5 grain cereal) 1 1/2 tbs. dried parsley. Grind nuts to a powder in food processor, add remaining ingred. and grind to a coarse powder. Simply measure out the amount you'd like and add boiling water. (a usually toss some flax seeds in and grind and then add fruit to the finished product.)

You might also want to think outside of 'breakfast foods' beans and veggies, are just as good for breakfast as any other time.

Hope this helps!

I run out of ideas of what to feed too. But when you think about it, babies aren't conditioned to expect breakfast food in the morning, so you could offer your baby anything you have around the house - pasta, meat/poultry, veggies, etc. Good luck :)

My son stopped letting me feed him around 8 months. I give him banana slices with cheerios almost every day. When I'm out of bananas, I substitute canned pineapple tidbits or mandarin oranges--both are soft enough and break down easily and are available packed in natural juices (not syrup).

1 / 3