Breakfast for 17 Month Old

Hello. I have a 17 month old daughter and I am wondering what to feed her for breakfast. Since she was a year, we have given her cheerios and then a Gerber 2nd Foods fruit with mixed cereal. I like to give her the fruit because I know that she is getting at least 5 fruits and vegetables a day, as well as a fruit and veggie with each meal. However, I feel that she is way too old for the 2nd fruits and would like to give her something else comparable in the morning. I thought of slicing bananas or oranges or giving her applesauce. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can continue to give her fruits with her breakfast? Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who gave me some ideas. She has been eating table food since before she was one (I should have mentioned that before I was told to give her "REAL" food), but I haven't been giving her "REAL" fruit in the mornings. I wanted to see what everyone else has been doing.

I give my kids sliced bananas or those little manderine oranges that are packed in those little cups. The kids love them because they are sweet and they are so easy for baby's to eat. I also give canned peaches. It seems like the canned fruit is a lot softer when they don't have many teeth. I give them an egg, cereal or pancake and then the fruit on the side.

Try grits, oatmeal, or cream of wheat mixed with fruit. Pancakes or waffles with fruit. Cottage cheese with fruit. Pancakes/waffles with a glass of juice. Eggs with cheese and sliced fruit on the side. There's tons of possibilities.

hello L.

my daughter is 14 months and for breakfast she likes to have sliced fruits like strawberries, apples, bananas, and grapes. She also likes kiwi but that I feed her the others she feeds herself.Usually she will eat 2 strawberries, 1/4 of an apple, and 5 grapes then I'll let her have 1/2 of a granola bar or whole wheat crackers.

my 16 month old loves oatmeal! there is a variety pack at Giant Eagle with different flavors it is easy to make. She loves strawberries.bananas and yogurt loves the reg adult dannon and yoplait whips

My son loves sliced bananas, mango, cantelope, blueberries (i cut them in half), ripe pears and peaches, pretty much any fruit that is a little soft. Since your daughter is over 1 year old, you could also try slices of strawberries and oranges. Have you ever given her scrambled eggs? My son loves pieces of scrambled egg (sometimes with a little shredded cheese mixed in), pieces of toast with butter, and plain whole fat yogurt (sometimes I'll mix in a stage 2 fruit to make sure he's getting enough fruit), too. He doesn't always like something the first few times I introduce it to him, but he usually gobbles it up after a few days!

Hope this helps!

Sliced bananas are great! You could even put them into oatmeal. Gerber also has cut fruit in their "Graduates" selection that I used with my son - he loved them. They had apples, peaches and pears (there may be more but that was all they had at the store I shopped at). All the fruit is soft and in bite sized cubes. It was great! You could also buy canned fruit - in juice if you want it healthier - and cut it up yourself.

I gave my son a lot of fresh bananas and canned peaches in pear juice when he was about 12 months as they are really soft and easy to chew.

At 17 months your daughter can eat just about anything that you do. My 17 month old loves scrambled eggs with cheese and a little bit of salsa. She can use a spoon or her fingers if she feels like it. She also eats lots of fruit. She has plenty of teeth, so I don't have to cut things up small for her anymore. She likes apple slices, strawberries, peaches and banannas the best. I also give her raisins and other dried fruits as well. They are really sweet; she eats them for snacks and thinks they are fruit candy! When I buy canned fruit I make sure that it is juice or water not syrup. I like something sweet for my breakfast, so I try to give her the same thing and fruit is definetly sweet.

My daughter is 13 months old and also eats cereal and fruit for breakfast most mornings. I have given her sliced bananas, peaches, pears, oranges, and applesauce. She loves them all, but bananas are her favorite.

Dear L.,

I assume that she has teeth, thus she can eat any fruit or veggie out there. I would at least slice the grapes in quarters or halves so that she does not choke on it, but my 20 month old has been eating every fruit since about 1 year. Expose her and let her try everything, she can chew it up. I would watch her as she handles the food since this is new for her, but there is watermelon, either chunks large enough for her to hold and bite or small enough to pop in. Stawberries, quartered or sliced, blue berries --one at a time, kiwi sliced (the seeds are small so no need to worry about that, etc. I hope this helps.

About me: I am a working mother of two (5 year old boy and 20 month old girl.) I've been married almost 15 years.)

A few suggestions I have are canned mandarin oranges, yogurt, real fruit-spread on toast, frozen waffles with fruit, & simply fruit juice.

1 / 3