Breakfast and Snacks to Bring Through Airport Security

We're getting ready for a vacation. Our flight leaves really early which means we'll have to wake the kids (2 and 4) and go in a hurry, before they'll have time for breakfast. (We can't feed them at home- breakfast takes forever!) I haven't been on a plane with my kids, and I don't know what foods I can take through security. Yogurt? Applesauce?Bananas? Neither is a fan of granola bars. I plan on having a ton of snacks for them, but I need to include something that will fill them up. I have heard that, in moderation, you can get through almost anything for kids, but I don't want to bring ten things that are all restricted.
Suggestions? Thanks!!

Can you get some of those little boxes of cereal and they can have them dry? Or maybe some cereal bars, but I know they are kinda like granola bars but softer. Maybe dried fruit too. This is so embarassing, we went on a plane a few months back, and my son brought a big bag of cheese puffs in his backpack, and I didn't know it. He was sitting in front of me, with my husband, and next thing i know he stands up with his really messy orange fingers, and asks where's the bathroom I need to wash my hands!! I about died!! I bet you can take cheese puffs!!!! Have fun!!

no liquids. so NO yogurt, NO danimals. no applesauce. No juice boxes.
i had an apple juice juice box from the McDs right outside security, unopened. I had to trash it.
Milk, OJ, etc. even breakfast itself can be purchased at the airport once you are past the security checkpoint. You can then take THOSE drinks onto the plane. You just can't bring liquids from outside security through security.

The are very strict. There was a college girl with a ton of high end lotions, makeup, shampoo, etc. in her bag. In containers over 3oz. Security told her to buy a bag and check it or toss it all in the trash right there. She was stunned! She ended up just tossing most of it because she was in a hurry. Heard about it most of the flight...

OK items: bananas, mini donuts, dry cereal, cheese/crackers

You can bring any foods, well solid foods through the security. Some will allow toddler meals as long as they are small and sealed like Gerber Graduates. I would just pack some fruit and dry cereal, small pancakes and/or a sandwich. You can get drinks past the security check point. Also most of the little stores near the gates have a variety of healthy foods, not just junk food.

Cereal and paper cups. Instant oatmeal and styrofoam cups. You can buy milk or hot water at Starbucks or McDonald's after security. French toast sticks (no syrup), Nutrigrain cereal bars, ham and egg sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, raisin bread, apples, mini quiches....pretty much anything as long as you store them in a container that won't get squished. Good luck!

It might be best to call the airport to verify, but I don't think you can bring yogurt or applesauce unless they are in individual packets less than 3 oz. each. They would be considered "liquids." I know they make exceptions for bottles for infants, but I don't know about toddlers. I think I would call the particular airport. Have a good trip.

You may not bring any drinks through security. Bottles and sippy cups will be emptied prior to going through security.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/holiday.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

I would give myself a lot of time, go through security and feed them on the other end. You can't take liquids and dep. on the scanner, you might not be able to take applesauce, yogurt, etc. They gave me a hard time for diaper cream.

I've done bagels and cream cheese (already made and put together) and had no problems. I've had to toss juice boxes. I bring empty water bottles and fill them up on the other side of security.

I've brought fruit (grapes, bananas, apples). I've even brought carrot sticks and a very small tupperware container of hummus.

Happy flying!

1 / 3