Braxton Hicks at 20 Weeks

I'm 19, almost 20 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I believe I am having Braxton Hicks contractions. I was curious as to how many other women started having them this early on. I have 2 boys, ages 3 and 1 1/2. I never had any contractions with them until I went into full labor at 39 weeks with both. I'm mainly concerned because I was on Depo Provera up until 2 months before I got pregnant. I had some complications with Depo Provera and had many women tell me after they used the shot, their uterus weakened and they couldn't carry to full term. Many suffered miscarriages after the shot. I am currently out of town. 7 hours from home, and my next dr. appt. is Tuesday. I'm wondering if I should go to an Urgent Care or something similar to have this checked out or if it's totally normal to experience Braxton Hicks at 20 weeks.

I went thru them also at about 20 weeks until the day my daughter came out, almost 2 months later. It's really important that you go see someone and not wait. I was in and out of doctors offices because of them and you never can tell if their the real thing! Be safe and go just in case.
~K.~ Utah.

I had two miscarriages after coming off of shot. When I got pregnant every little pain I got I went to the doctors because I was unsure. The birthing center got to know me very well. Its not something that I liked doing, but I felt much better when they told me that everything was just fine. I would go get checked, this way it will ease your mind.

It isn't considered normal but I did with both of my kids and ended up on bedrest with both, carried until 38 and 37 weeks no complications. If they are painful, regular, and/or you feel pressure definately call the doctor and head to urgent care or ER to be checked. If you are nervous anyway, give your doc a call. Better safe than sorry and the doctor on call will understand, it's their job to answer your questions when the office is closed. Drink a big glass of water, go to the bathroom, lay down on your side with your feet up. If they continue, then it might be more than BH.

If you are having more than 4 contractions in an hour - you need to go to the hospital - regardless of where you are!

With that said - get a huge glass of water and eat. Dehydration, change in altitude and flying can all cause some contractions.

Feel better soon,

I don't know anything about the shot, but I do know about preemie babies. And I guess that my main questions to you would be: Do they hurt? Are you uncomfortable during them, or are they just annoying? Can you feel them in your back, in your pubic area, or in your stomach? If you can feel them in your back or genitals, then I would definitely say to go see someone at Urgent Care, just to be sure. I was 28 weeks with twins, and thought that I was having Braxton Hicks, but it turned out that I was in labor because my son had gotten a complete knot tied in his umbilical cord, and he was in distress. By the time I finally woke my mom up and asked her to take me to the hospital, it was 4:30 when we got there, and my babies were born at 5:00 and 5:08am. I remember telling my mom "I just feel like I have to poop. I'm sure I would be fine if I could just poop." (Gross, I know, but that's how they felt.) So don't wait as long as I did. It is better to go get checked out and have it be nothing, than to wait too long and have your baby this early. My babies were 12 weeks early and spent all 12 weeks in the NICU. If your baby were to be born now, I don't think that you would be so lucky. I don't mean to scare you, but I know that when I look back, I wish that I had been a little more paranoid and gotten checked out when I first thought that I was having Braxton Hicks.

I really do wish you the best of luck, and I hope that everything turns out okay for you. Please keep us updated as I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

A. Rae

Hello Missus, I just had my second child 8months ago and I felt braxton hicks around 20 weeks also. They just get stronger and harder the further you go in the pregnancy. My doc told me that your body remembers and starts right away faster with each pregnancy. Good Luck, J.

I had the hicks at the end of 5 months pregnancy, so around the same time as you. Nothing happened, but i had them frequently till it was time. She was born 1 month early at 6 lbs and 2 oz. We were both doing well, no problems.

I didnt have Braxton Hicks that early on in my pregnancy but when I went into labor with my son Daymian who is now 4yrs....I was in full blown labor at 26weeks!!! This was my second pregnancy with my first ending in a miscarraige. I had my son 14weeks early & he weighed only 2lbs 8oz at birth & had to spand 2months in the hospital. My advice to you would be to get checked out even if your not sure. I waited to long with my son & he was born preemie.

After I had my son I ended up having a tubel pregnancy & then my second child Shyloh who is 2yrs now. I was in & out of the hospital in preterm labor with her starting at 25weeks. Im not sure whether that helps any but feel free to ask me anything??

H. Danner

Missus,
I stated with Baxton Hicks with one of my kids at 6 months and she was 3 weeks late. I would however, time the contractions and make sure they are irregular. Then if you are still unsure call your Dr. and ask what to do. If still paniced go to the clinic to make sure you are not dialateing early. Relax, take a deep breathe, have a small glass of wine. I have two children in the Military and it is not easy. The stress might be the cause of the Baxton Hicks.
C. B

1 / 3