Braces for 8 Year Old?

Any of you mommas have young kiddos in braces? I'm wondering cause they want to start my 7 year old with a palatial expander and braces within the next 6 months. When I was a kid we always got them so much later - closer to junior high - but I've heard things are changing.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Not a scam. It helps kids have braces for shorter periods (though yes, it may be split into two periods--it's just silly for the dad referred to in one post to say "I'm not paying for it twice" because he will probably end up paying the same total if he insists on waiting and doing it only once--later, when the palate is harder and the teeth more set).

Expanding the palate while it is still soft enough to move is very wise. If you wait until it has hardened, it is MUCH more difficult and painful to do the whole deal with braces etc. I had braces in junior high/high school and I know that if I'd had them the way my daughter is doing it, in probably two sets with the first ones including a palate expander, my life would have been much easier and my time in braces a whole lot less.

My granddaughter, who will be eight next week, just started all that. But then she has inherited ALL the wrong teeth/mouth genes, poor girl, and has already had to have some extractions.

If you're uncertain about it, go ahead and get a second opinion.

I went through my braces business in junior high school, too, and so did my children, but now I know ten-year-olds who are almost *finished* with their teeth-straightening. Changes indeed!

We started with one child when she was 8. Palate expander and then braces to move teeth around after that. It was the best thing! It's easier to move teeth when they're young. And if she needs a palate expander, that shows that her jaw is too small.... and the way to fix that back when we were kids was to pull permanent teeth. Our daughter was finished with braces in 8th grade. It was the best thing. If you aren't sure, get a second opinion.

Added: My husband had the same issues as my daughter did, but he had to have 8 permanent teeth pulled way back when. Thank goodness we didn't have to do that with her. Yes there are crooked dentists in the world, but just because they can put braces on kids earlier doesn't mean they're doing something wrong. We were thankful to be able to take care of our daughter this way.

YES!!!!

I would do it now...in fact we did it when my oldest son was 8. It does NOT mean he won't need them again later - however - it has helped him TREMENDOUSLY now!!!

The palate expander now - helps because his head is still growing and it will help during the natural growth period instead of later when it's more "solid"...

GO FOR IT!!! Just go in knowing that it might not be a permanent fix - but will help him to get a healthy mouth NOW.

When I was growing up, I had braces for 7 years and 8 adult teeth pulled in order to get the remaining teeth the be able to fit in my jaws.
From 5th grade to 11th grade - it was never ending misery.
My son started an expander when he was 9 and has just now finished braces at 12 yrs old.
He has 2 year of middle school and all of high school to enjoy straight teeth and be braces free.
He didn't need any teeth pulled - the expander made sure there was enough room.
And the expander is less painful to use when the bones are still growing.
Get it done early as you can and get it over with.

My 9 yr old just say an orthodontist this summer and he said he wanted to wait until she had her adult teeth in , because things do change when they come in. He will see her again next year to evaluate again.

Get a second opinion if you are uncomfortable. I imagine it depends on the situation. My BIL is our dentist. He is planning on an expander for my son once he gets his 6 year molars, followed by braces. My son has a cross bite that needs to be addressed. He also has drooling and slight speech issues that are attributed to his jaw setting.

I think it depends on what needs to be done. My daughter will need braces but they want to wait because only teeth need to be moved, nothing such as your daughter is going through with the palatial expander. It seems like this and bite corrections are done sooner since it involves growing tissue and bone. This is my understanding so if you have quesitons I'd ask your dentist and orthodontist. They should be able to tell you why and if there are other options.

1 / 3