Boys Sizes - What Comes Next After 5 or 5T?

My son is 5 and 1/2 years old, weighs about 45 lbs and is about 45 inches tall. I cannot seem to find shirts that will fit him. Size 5 or 5T is too short, yet a size 5/6 or 6 is far too large. Am I missing something? What size should he be in for shirts?! What comes after size 5?

Try out different brands until you find the right fit, take him with you. Different stores sizes vary

AHHH we have that problem. 6 SLIMS....half the size in the waist and perfect length. It's the ONLY thing that fits my son. For MANY stores you have to order online to get them though. For some reason stores don't carry them in store all the time. Children's Place, Old Navy, Kids Gap, Sears, JCPenny. (OOPS sorry! I thought it was about pants!) lol
I don't have issue with shirts. We went right into 6's or Youth XS to S. Most shirts are a little big on him but that's how we get more than one year out of them! :) They aren't so large that he can't do what he wants to do.

I have the same thing going on with my 6 year old son. 5/6 works ok some times but are kinda small and size 7 is BIG,he swims in that size. so,I just have to stick with brands that fit him well.
good luck,you not missing anything:)

Also - Many brands run very different... I have some 5's that are huge for my 4 year old and some that fit perfect... You just have to keep shopping around! Also - Sears is an awesome place to shop for the inbetween sizes, or at least it was when my older son was younger, have not been there lately due to lack of job and funds...

I have a 4 year old that I have had this problem with for the last couple years. If you will watch different brands some 5's are larger than other brands. You will just have to search until you find a brand that fits him. Your not missing anything and the next size is 5-6 or 6. It really hard when they get to the stage of being inbetween sizes. I hope this helps you and good luck!!

Toddler clothes, bought in the baby department, tend to be wider and shorter than other clothes. It's so they will fit over diapers and pull ups comfortably. He may fit just fine into regular boys size 4 or 5 jeans. Go to the store and take a variety of sizes into the dressing room with you and just try them on. I bet if he's too tall for a 5t then a regular 4 or 5 (from the boys department not babies) will fit him closer than a 6. But just go try them on him to be sure.

S.-
It seems your son is similar to mine. Even today, I still have to buy him slim pants and oversized cotton shirts and shrink them. Wait til you get to a size 6-8 underwear and then have to go to a 10-12. My son still wears 6-8 because the 10-12 (brief) hangs off of him and the legs are for much bigger boys. He wears boxer briefs, because it is less of an issue. As for pants, I regularly buy pants/jeans with adjustable waists. I know Target has them and I'm certain other places do to. When my son was your son's age, I just bought elastic waist pants, as he didn't care about the style. Now, at 11, it is a much bigger deal.

Sorry, I know you asked about shirts. I just buy too big and shrink in hot water and hot dryer. Most synthetic (polyester/rayon/acrylic) blends will not shrink, or at least as dramatically, as 100% cotton.

My five year old is very tall. He wears a size 7 jean and size 6/7, sometimes large shirt. There is a 4/5 size in boys. Sometimes they are hard to find. I don't know if it's because they don't make alot or because the size is snatched up.

1 / 3