Boy's Name Meaning "Second Son"

Hi Mamas!

Does anyone know of a boy's name meaning "second son"? My husband and I lost our first son the day before Valentine's day when I delivered him at only 22 weeks. His name was John-Robert, and we have recently decided to start trying to get pregnant again. We have a 16 month old daughter named Bella who is an absolute joy and blessing to us. We would like to have another child soon so that they can be close in age. I read on a name finder sight that the name "Brodie" means second son, but now everywhere I look says that Brodie actually means "ditch" or "muddy place". Please help!

What happened? I'll just say that I've chosen not to post anymore questions due to the negative feedback I've received. (Thanks, Allison!) John-Robert was named after my Father (and his father) and husband. His middle name, Howe, is also a family name. Our thoughts of naming a possible brother for he and Bella has nothing to do with him living in someone else's shadow. It's more of a tribute to his brother so that he will always know that he does have an older brother who also is an important part of our family. It has nothing to do with the fact that he i s "second-best" or has anything whatsoever to live up to. Thank you for taking something important and sentimental and turmning it into something negative. Thank you to all of the moms with positive, constructive feedback- it is very much appreciated.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/

Jiro ... "Second son."

Kenji ... "Intelligent second son; strong and vigorous." Kenjiro (ken-jee-ROH) means "second son who sees with insight".

Abel ... the second son of Adam and Eve ...

Simeon ... Biblical: the second-born of Jacob's 12 sons ...

I did a search and found Brodie also. Here's a site where you can put in the meaning and it gives names.

http://www.babyhold.com/list/AdvSearch/

Why do you want to name him something that means second... it's kind of like you second.. not first.... ... Why don't you just name him something you love... If you like Brodie or Brody.. just name him it because you like it.. not because it will mean 2nd son.. what if you have a daughter.... will you name her something that means 2nd and not first... i think you should think about it.. i know you probably just are doing it because you like 2nd son... but he may feel like 2nd best... or less than the first... think about it.. would you like to be 2nd anything.. good luck... i hope you have a wonderful healthy baby... and that baby will be #1 in your book.. like you daughter will be #1 too..

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/

Jiro ... "Second son."

I believe Abel means 'the second son.' I'm going to google this and see what I can come up with. I think that's a beautiful way to remember and acknowledge your first son.

http://www.babyhold.com/list/AdvSearch/

Japanese has a lot of names for "second son," as well as "first son," and "third son." However, if you are looking for an Anglo-Saxon sort of name, I'm not sure. What about making John (or John-Robert) the child's middle name, in commemoration of your first-born? I know some people think this is a bit morbid, from reading responses, but I don't. I think it's very sweet, actually. I had a friend whose son died 3 weeks after he was born, and they gave his name to their second son as his middle name. It is a special tribute to hope - hope that this time, things will turn out better. Good luck.

I am not sure on meanings but what about picking names that would allow your second son could have the same initials as a tribute like maybe: James, Justin, Joel, Jackson for first names and Robert, Russell, Roger, Richard

I think it is a great idea and I hope you find a name that means second son that you really love. I know it is hard when we have gone through the pain of loosing a child but never think of those siblings that have lost and don't even know it yet. Family is so very important and we always try and teach our kids that friends may come and go but your brother/sister are always going to be there for you. Again, I think it a lovely tribute and I don't think your son will ever feel inferior to the brother he lost. I think he will feel honored that you and your husband felt the son lost was an important part of the family even for the short time he was here. God Bless!

I think it's a lovely tribute to the baby you lost to commemorate him in your second son's name. I'm sure you will love him for who he is, but the fact that your children will never know their brother will always be part of your family. Good luck for a healthy pregnancy and baby, and try this site:
http://www.20000-names.com/number_names.htm

(Scroll down about a third of the page for names that mean "second.")

1 / 3