Boy Scout Popcorn Sales - Best Way to Do It?

My Cub Scout has sold popcorn in front of grocery stores a couple times during the "selling time period." It goes alright--nothing super spectacular. He is very polite, friendly and knows he is representing the BSA, thus his behavior is very good.

We are thinking of loading the popcorn in our "red" wagon and going door-to-door around our neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon. My husband thinks it would be a waste of time and that we should sign up for another time slot at the grocery store-again.

I disagreed. I told my husband that when people are going grocery shopping, often they are busy and running in, and often, just want to get it done asap. I was thinking if my son goes door-to-door, that people are more relaxed and can take a few minutes to look at the varieties and may purchase the same amount--or even more because they are more relaxed and maybe not so rushed.

What do you ladies think? Are you more likely to buy popcorn from the Cub Scout at the store, or at your home, when he comes knocking?

ETA: Should we accept checks?

I would be more likely to buy at my home. I am a sucker for the kids, even high school aged, that come to my door selling anything. I usually buy something. I did buy Boy Scout popcorn last year (my first time) and I just have to say it's pretty good but boy is it expensive! Wow! I know you have nothing to do with that, but to be honest, I might try and avoid my boy scout this year!

more likely to buy when I am at home. I definitely think he should go door to door. Also you can email out to everyone you know, put it on Facebook, etc to help him sell. have dad take the popcorn to work too.

we had pretty good luck going door to door as long as we got there before someone else. Make sure to get the money up front. We had one person move on us. You don't want to get stuck having to pay for some of it.

I would be more likely to buy at my home...where I have cash...something I rarely carry in my wallet!
And make sure to post that you are selling popcorn on FB--if you have an account.

I have a scout, and we skip the whole thing...we just write a check to the pack. I really hate the whole process!

We will buy from any Scout that comes to our door in uniform. However, since my son no longer is in cub Scouts, no one has come to our door.

Scouting has been great to my son!!

fascinating....in mid-MO, we pre-sell using order forms....ask for payment up front, & then deliver the popcorn within the month. Our sales period is one month long, including the ShowNSell. We did our dangedest to get the families to agree to public selling at our local grocery store....& no one was interested. 1/2 of the families were tied up with sports & the other 1/2 were tied up with H.S. Band. It's such a missed opportunity.

We also tried getting the Scouts to sell door-to-door.....& again, no takers. How sad.

We live in a small town & we accept checks. The reason why we pre-sell is because by turning in the checks to our Troop, we can be sure the checks clear prior to final count at the district level. It prevents our Scout families from having to cover those bad checks. :)

I think you'd have better luck at the store....it's really hard to catch people at home in today's busy world. My own son is struggling with that issue right now....he's tried selling to our neighborhood 3 times since sales opened on the 24th. He's made only a handful of sales....simply because nobody's been home!

I have been asking 5 times in the last 3 days to buy popcorn. I never carry cash or a checkbook. I would have loved to hear a boy say, "we have an Iphone app."

Go door to door. I have a checkbook at home.

Do not accept checks! Cash and offer to come back if they don't have it at the time.

We used to always sell GS cookies door to door, and at publix but d 2 d was always more profitable.

I think the BS popcorn is just way way way too overpriced, how do they expect the boys to make any money? We always donate (my husband is an Eagle Scout) but we don't buy the popcorn. I would do the same if they came to my door.

1 / 3