Boy Playing with Himself

I am a first time mom and I did not have any brothers. My son is going to be three in November and he has been playing with his peni a lot. When I go into his room to get him to school he is laying down on his bed with his hands on his pants.

I don't know how to approach the situation. I don't want to make a big deal out of it but I don't want him to think it is okay and do it in public neither.

Has anyone gone through this with their boys and how did you handle it.

You ladies are awesome!!! I have followed the ignore method and it has worked great. He no longer does it unless he has to go Pee.

Thank you so much!

Hey, I am with the rest of the ladies. I have 2 boys(14 and 10) and when they were small, they did the same thing. Teach him only in appropriate places. In public is not good. My 10 year old still plays with his, even in public. Then I have to tell him that that is not the time or place. He is autistic. Good Luck!!

My son did this as well. I just told him that it wasn't a toy and get his hand out of his pants. I didn't make a big deal, just told him no and he eventually stopped.

I have a 4 year old son that does the same. I think it is just a facination for boys (all boys). My son like to tell me when it is hard that his pee pee is big now. I don't make a big deal about it and change the subject. He hasn't done it out in public and I am hoping that day will never come. But for your case, I would just act like it isn't a big deal. You know kids, the more you make of a situation the more they strive for that attention.

If he is only doing it in the morning I wouldn't worry in any way, it is just his morning wood and that is pretty awesome for him. My two boys love to play with themselves, as long as no one else touches them and they don't do it inappropriately it is fine in our house. The more you accept it and make it okay, the less they do it in my opinion. Of course, never in public and if they are doing it inappropriately I just make them go to their room to do it. It works for us and is just a normal part of having boys:)

I don't think there's anything wrong with the act itself. Both boys and girls are just curious with their bodies. And for boys, playing with that sensitive area just feels good, in a completely non-sexual way. That's why they do it.
But I do think it's a good idea to discuss privacy and what things are okay to do in private and which things are okay to do in public. That's definitely a private activity.
I have twin boys who are only 18 months and they like to feel around that area as well. And their 5 year old half sister was very adamant that they not do that. I had to explain to her that it's not a bad thing, that it's completely natural to be curious about your body, but that it's something you want to do in private.

Sorry this is so late! I had a similar experiene with my daughter. The pediatrician checked her and she had a bladder infection causing irritation. She was treated and it stopped.
Give him cranberry juice.

I grew up with seven brothers. Just tell him that he is only to do it when he is in bed. That it is wrong to do it in front of other people. That way you are not telling him it's wrong. You are just letting him know when it is ok to do it. He will out grow this.

Hello T.,
You've gotten some great advice already but I wanted to add, dont be worried about it. Boys are gross lol. Just kidding. My son is also 3 and has gone threw that off and on, sometimes he plays more with it then other times. Luckly he isnt doing it as much, I think all little ones "explore" themselves. Just let him know to only do it at home, not at school or in public places because no one wants to see him playing with his pee pee. Thats what I tell mine, and he thinks its funny.

1 / 3