Boy Dogs Vs. Girls Dogs

I am getting a dog for me & the kids and the obvious questions comes up, do you want a boy or girl? I had a boy growing up, but I had a girl when older, have had other boy dogs too, and dont really seem to notice a difference. Is there really a difference? I am female and all my kids are boys, does this make a difference in the decision?
So far in asking around I have gotten that girls dont stop and pee on walks as often, so ok that might be a factor if I really cared if they stop and tinkle but I don't, if I am going to take a walk I am doing a casual thing and it doesn't matter it me.
Are there any other differences?

Well I decided on the puggle breed, I didn't want anything to big because we live in a 3 brd (1400 sq ft) apartment, but they have a dog park very close to us and with 3 boys it will get lots of excerise. No way am I doing a puppy so I have looked at several shelters and have found one girl dog and one boy dog to look at and both are 1-2 year olds. We will be going to see them as a family this weekend and seeing if the dog chooses you theory works otherwise it will be up to my financies and a vote. Thanks for all the input!

I have had both and prefer female over male dogs. Females do seem more 'protective' than males no matter what breed I have had. Males (even after being 'fixed') seem to like to hump random objects they find laying around and when walking pee and mark 'everything' they come in contact with. The females just seem to want to sniff it then move on.

The breed of dog will matter more than the gender.
We have both, and just like kids it seems the girls are more gentle and do everything more lady like ( they do get old quickly and a bit head strong).
The males tend to be bigger, slower ( moving and thinking) but very loving and want to be in the action all the time... My large breed is a hazard to very small and weak elderly, when he bumps into with his clumsy love...
Wish ya Luck w/Pup
( Do look at the pound a few times....)
J

I think what matters most, is the personality of the specific dog you choose. Does the dog fit in with your lifestyle? Can you commit to taking it on a walk everyday and giving it lots of exercise? If not, go with a lower energy dog. Make sure the dog doesn't mind having it's paws, ears, and back end touched or tugged on. If your kids are young, these things will happen a lot. If you're looking at dogs and some seem very uncomfortable and scared around your children, I would look at a different dog. Herding dogs (I have two!) will likely try to corral your children or nip at their heels or other body parts as they run. Just remember, you can't take the instinct out of a dog. Pick one, that fits with your family's energy and activity level, it very comfortable being played with, and is easy to train. I really think that is WAY more important the the gender.

Side note: if you choose a boy getting them fixed as early as you can, will keep them from learning to lift their leg. (that is safe and allowed by the vet of course!!) It will also avoid any hormone related aggression

I own a doggy day care in Oswego and work with dogs every single day. There are females that mark and males that mark, there are females that are bossy and males that are bossy. What I've found in working with dogs is to look at their personality and energy level. Find a dog (and please rescue if you can) that suits your family's life style. If you are a sit at home, watch TV, play videos kind of family, then you want a dog with low energy level that wants to be a couch potato with you. If you are a family that is on the go, playing soccer, baseball, etc. in the backyard or wanting to go on long walks or hikes in the various parks around, then you want a dog with more energy that can go with you and have fun with you. Don't worry about breed, just watch personality, play style and energy level and spend quite a bit of time with any dog you are thinking of adopting so you can see what they are truly like.

Additionally, we are having an adoption and fundraiser event this Sunday (7/11) at our facility. Four rescue groups will be here with dogs available for adoption. The 4 groups are ADOPT, Fox Valley Animal Welfare League, Help Save Pets and Naperville Area Humane. We are doing a dog wash to raise money. For more info, check out the following link: http://www.centralbarkusa.com/locations/oswego/news-event...

Even if you're not quite ready to get the dog yet, it might be a nice event to come and check out because you can talk to people from each rescue group and see what they are all about and maybe one can help you find the right fit.

Good luck and let me know. I love hearing "Happy Tails".

It really does depend on the breed and the individual personality of the dog. Some breeds are more dominant. When we got our dog, we took her to training, and when the huskies would howl, the trainers would say, "It's not your fault, you're just being a Huskie". The rottweiler that slept through the class surprised me as much as the toy dogs being some of the more dominant.

Much will depend not only on the personality but also how soon you have the dog spayed or neutered. Female dogs tend to be smaller, but their urine is more concentrated and can burn grass more easily.

I'd personally choose based upon the personality of the dog most matching our desires, but I really do believe that a training class (even if you've had dogs before) is essential.

Good luck and enjoy the new addition to your family.

As long as the dog is fixed (neutered or spayed), you'll have fewer problems and either one will be fine. Unfixed males tend to mark their territory - every where (my Uncles German Shepard came over for a visit and lifted his leg and peed on our wall) and will wander looking for females in heat. I've seen some jump 6 ft fences to get to a female. Those who can't jump it will dig underneath. Unfixed females will go into heat and tend to draw a whole lot of attention from every unfixed male for miles around, and if they get pregnant, there will be puppies to deal with, find homes for, take to the pound, etc.

It depends on the breed, to some extent. In some breeds, such as Dobermans, the females tend to be the dominant personality, in others, like Bull Mastiffs, males. It can also be a matter of personality of each individual dog. I currently have two female dogs and one male. My female Collie-mix stops to pee a LOT more than my male Aussie - I think she's just a more dominant, territorial personality. My other female, a terrier, is the most gentle, lazy dog you could ever meet - really very opposite to my outgoing and active Collie. My male is just a happy-go-lucky guy. Instead of choosing a gender, I would look for a personality that you like.

But if I could add my two cents, please consider a rescue dog. You can still get a puppy if that is important to you, and while you might not have as much choice on gender, you'll be saving a life and creating a lifelong bond with an animal that truly NEEDS you. Please visit petfinder.com to find dogs in your area - you can search for a specific sex, breed, and age, or just put in your zip code and see what is out there. I am the proud mommy of three rescued dogs and two rescued cats after growing up with breeder dogs my entire childhood, and I have been working with animal rescues (both shelters and private rescues) for the last 10 years. Let me assure you that you'll never find a more loyal family member than one that has been saved. Good luck.

EDIT: One more thing I forgot to add! As long as you get the dog fixed, it shouldn't matter that you are female or your sons male. Fixing a dog will suppress those hormones.

Wish ya Luck w/Pup
( Do look at the pound a few times....)
J

Hands down I prefer female dogs. They tend to be calmer, more mature, gentler, etc. I would agree with others in that you need to pay close attention to the breed. Breeding can tell you about health issues, temperment, tendency towards dominance, energy level, etc. For example we've had pugs and they are so needy it can drive you crazy. Then again pugs are companion dogs so it is in their breeding. An interent search will help you find numerous websites for selecting different breeds based on your family and its needs. Consider training too - are you savy enough to handle training the dog on your own versus attending training classes. Some dogs are tough to train even for a savy dog person. Other dogs particularly small dogs tend towards dominance and need a firm hand. Finally I recommend getting some books on selecting puppies and rescue dogs and also on topics like pack behavior and understanding dogs. These books explain how environment can affect a dog's behavior in contrast to how the dog might behave once in your home. Also these books discuss how to determine alpha versus beta puppies/dogs (head strong v. submissive, harder to train v. easier to train) and that helped us match ourselves to a suitable puppy for our family. Overall take your time picking a dog since it will be in your family a long time and there really is no rush. A bad match is a misery for everyone. One last thought if you are against puppies due to work/effort consider rescue groups. There is a rescue group for nearly any breed you can think of and mostly they have adult dogs. Plus the dogs come with their shots and not all of them have health/behavioral issues. Many families get rid of good dogs when babies come. Good luck and happy dog finding.

1 / 3