Bottles That Don't Leak

hello moms,

I used Avent bottles for my first baby, am now expecting my 2nd. Even with their "changes", I find the fact that they sometimes leak very, very, very annoying. Can anyone recommend good bottles that DON'T leak and help with burping issues? I know Dr. Brown's has alot of extra pieces to it to clean but a friend of mine said she loves those bottles. Someone else loves Born Free.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Well, I don't think there is a bottle that will not leak. (even if they claim not to leak) All I did for my little one, I would fill the bottle with milk, and then use seran wrap (plastic wrap) and put that over the bottle before putting the lid on. Vualla! When it tips, no milk leakage. And, if you don't want to deal with plastic wrap, just get ziplock bags, put the bottle top in, then put the lid on. But that would cost a whole lot more than plastic wrap.
Hope that is helpful. I was just tired of getting everything wet with milk and being paranoid when my bag tipped.

Both Dr. Brown's and Born Free have worked well for us--no leaks. I hated the leaky Avent ones. Born Free is a little easier to clean but a bit more expensive. They have about the same number of pieces but the Dr. Brown's parts are smaller and can get gunk stuck in them if not cleaned promptly.

I used the playtex disposable liners. You sqeeze the air out so baby gets very little air. I tried everything but always came back to these. I used to mix the formula in a separate rubbermaid container and then pour it in.

Love the Born Free! I extensively researched bottles(about 18mos ago)when the BPA problem was really in the spotlight. I found that the drop-in bottles still had the potential for BPA exposure. This exposure was supposed to be EXTREMELY minimal and not a potential health hazard, but wasn't willing to take the chance when a BPA-free product existed.

The Born Free has a few extra pieces but have been great as far as leaks and burps for me and my sisters. I had used Avent previously.

I have a lot of Dr. Brown's which don't usually leak, however if you shake them up a lot they will leak out the side, if you just swish it around its fine. They really help keep burps to a minimum and are the best I've used so far. It is really annoying how many pieces they have, but you can throw everything in a basket in the dishwasher, so its not terrible.

I used Dr. Brown's with my second and they leaked bad, I just hated them. So I switched to Playtex drop-ins which is what I had used with my first and we both love them. No leaking, hardly anything to clean, easy, easy, easy.

I also liked Playtex drop-ins. My daughter could also hold the bottle herself at a very young age b/c she didn't need it to be tipped upward. It also made it easy to switch to sippy straw cups. I squeezed out the air and let her hold it while she sat up in a chair or stroller. Only down side is a lot of plastic, but I found out you can recycle them with your other plastic bags if you rinse them out. A hassle, but we really like to recycle whenever we can. I started with these after a nursing consultant at a seminar recommended them. She thinks they are closest to nursing too.

We used Playtex drop-ins and never had any problems.

I use the playtex ventaires- they're supposed to be very good for venting air out and avoiding gas. My girl had very bad gas issues and these seem to have helped. My friend loved Born Free bottles too.

I hated my Avent bottles too - nothing like getting expressed BM or formula dumped all over yourself in the middle of the night.

We switched to Dr. Browns and had no problems. I totally love them. Like the other poster said, yes, if you shake them they may leak a little BUT the way to avoid that is to either just swirl them or use the little 'disc' cover that comes with the bottles.

I used Avent with my daughter (she was born in 2007) and am currently using them with my son (born Sept 2009) because they both took right to them. I figured out the trick this time with the Avents...you have to twist them to the left 3 or 4 times so they get engaged on the track then turn them to the right to secure. I had no more leaks. Hopefully that makes sense!

Dr Browns are the best by far. They do leak when you shake up formula in them if you put them together before you do that. I discovered however that you can buy separately flat caps that you screw on and so you avoid this situation. I never do anything more with them for cleaning than put the parts in a bottle basket in the dishwasher so they are really no extra hassle.

Our family has a love/hate relationship with Dr. Brown's bottles. As you mentioned, there are a lot of extra pieces to clean -- a fact that my husband especially hated since he was usually the one to wash them. So, we literally tried almost all of the bottles on the market - playtex, avent, etc. Most of them leaked for us (avent was the worst!) and playtex fill-ins for some reason did not seem to give a fast enough flow for my baby. He would have to suck extra hard (even tho we had the most advanced nipple) to the point where he would just give up after a bit. So time and time again, we kept coming back to Dr. Brown's b/c it didn't leak and it provided the right flow for my son. We just weaned him to sippy cups so my hubby is very happy ;)

I hate Dr. Browns. All the little parts are annoying, and a pain in the butt. I will however tell you, mine never did leak, and my baby never had gas issues (I am not sure if its from using Dr. B's simply because we started using that system when she was about a week old). If you have a dishwasher it wil be easy for you, buy the dr. brown's basket and you can throw them in.

We loved the Playtex drop-ins. For us, with twins this was the easiest. We really only had to wash the nipples and rings since you could just throw out the insert. All you have to do is rinse the bottle part and since they never leak no milk gets on them. They also worked really well with my daughter who had reflux...you can squeeze all the air out of them. We loved them

Haven't had any leaking problems with Born Free Bottles. Same # of pieces as most other bottles & the lettering on the bottles doesn't come off like with some other bottles I've found.

I used Dr. Browns with my 1st daughter. They were good for her gassy tummy, but had lots of pieces. Also, they leak if you mix formula in them. I usually just threw them in the dishwasher. (You just need a basket that they wont slip out if!) With my second I used Playtex drop ins. Oh how I loved them! I wish they had had them when I had my 1st! I would have used them. You squeeze all the air out so there is no extra for the baby to ingest. I put them in the dish washer too. Hope that helps! Oh, and they NEVER leaked! :)

I figured out the solution for leaky Avent bottles. With the nipple and ring put together, fill the whole thing with water. Pour the water out and shake out the excess. The little bit of moisture left in the channel of the nipple is what you need to help the top of the bottle slide into that channel without much friction. I usually twist the top on a couple of times to make sure it's on right. This trick works 99% of the time, which is good enough for me. Hope this helps!

I had the same problem with the avent bottles. I changed to the Sassy/MAM bottles for my 2nd son and there were lots of parts. For my third son, I just started using the new Tommee Tipee bottle that they have at babysrus. They are similar to the avent and only have a few parts(like avent). They are nice to hold and my son took to them pretty quickly. Good luck.

Soothie, First Year. Bottles