Bottle Feeding for a One Year Old

Hi, I have a son who will be 1yr in 3 weeks. I've been told they do not need formula past one year, so my question is do I just replace the bottles of formula with milk? I'm just wondering because when he gets up at 6am he gets formula, then cereal and fruit at about 8am. It seems too early to give him breakfast a 6, so should I just offer milk? Also, he will be starting daycare at 7:30, so I don't know if I have to split the difference and feed him breakfast at 7. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Start by mixing his formula with milk instead of water. You can mix 1/2 and 1/2 to get his belly used to it. Then gradually it will become all milk. Do start feeding him at 7am so his belly is full for daycare. You can cut his 6am bottle back to 1/2 bottle if you think he may not be hungry by 7:00 or you can feed him the cereal first at 6:00 and then give him the 1/2 bottle to rinse it down. :o)

W. M

I'm a mom of 2 sons (now 19 and 21 years old) I'm also a physician's daughter. I took my sons off the formula and the bottle at 1 year old. I changed the formula an ounce at a time every 3 days, and I changed the bottle to a sip cup the day they became 1 year old. It wasn't a problem at all, and they loved it.

I have been cutting back on the formula little by little. My son had a 6 oz bottle so I gave him half formula half milk for a couple of days and cut back more each day until the bottle is just milk.

Yes, you can start giving him whole milk at age 1. If it were me, I would just offer him a bowl of cereal with whole milk and some fruit for breakfast around 7ish. At age 2 is when they should begin 2% is what I've been told by the Pediatrician.
Hope this helps!

W. M

at one he should be off the bottle anyway... has he used a sippy at all??? nows the time to start replacing bottle feedings with table food or baby food what ever he can handle. most day cares serve breakfast... check with them on that. as for getting him off the bottle i have one thing to say i wasnt ready at one to do it with my daughter and man i regret it!! it took her til 2 1/2 to get off of it with my youngest i said nope your done and there were no problems. just start giving him whole milk in a sippy each time he eats. it may take some getting used to esp if your just now giving him a sippy (but at a year im sure hes already using one). have fun!!

Hi K.~
This is a question for his pediatrician. They need to check his weight and all that and they'll let you know how to transition. Good luck!

Bottle and when and how you feed your baby is totally up to you and your doctor. If there are any food allergies in the family then wean him off the formula. The first week do 3/4 formula to 1/4 whole milk, 2nd week 1/2 & 1/2, 3rd week 1/4 formula 3/4 whole milk, 4th week totally whole milk. If you are wondering about the bottle situation do what you and the baby are comfortable with. I started with my first at 9mths weaning him off bottle onto cup but with the 2nd I let him figure it out and it wasnt very long after he was 1 that he gave it up. Offer the cup and once you see they are totally comfortable then start taking bottle away. My kids were pretty easy to get off the bottle though cause they were never allowed to just have the bottle at all times so they didnt carry it around everywhere they went.

I started doing the half milk/ half formula switch when my son was about 10 1/2 mos old. At that age, he start refusing formula altogether. He was fully on milk by one year when we switch to sippy cups. When my son wakes up now, he gets his milk and works on that until he gets to daycare when he is fed breakfast. My son never seems that hungry after waking up, so just ready your son's signs. If he seems like he can't wait, then feed him. If not, just wait and let him eat breakfast when gets to daycare. Milk is pretty filling so he may be ok with waiting. Regardless, he will let you know! :)

Here's what my dr. told me: finish the formula can that you are on and start giving milk in a sippy cup in lieu of the bottle in the morning. of course it takes time to adjust for the little guy. ITs a different drink so in a different cup. I didn't completely listen, my 1 year and 2 week old daughter gets a formula (similac grow and go) bottle in the morning and in about 45 min to and hour gets breakfast, then snack, lunch, nap, snack, dinner, and another bottle before bed. she is not addicted to her bottle like some children can be so I am not worried about weaning her. But during the day I do offer milk in a sippy cup. She doesn't like it much yet so i am not off the nutrition filled formula. The transition needs to be gradual, like all things with kids. And with my son, who is 3 now, he needed a snack before bed once the bottles were done (about 15 months), so we mixed dry rice cereal with yo'baby yogurt. The stuff is yummy so it wasn't hard to give. And if your little one can chew try cheerios with milk and some fruit at the 7 am, after just a few ounces of formula....try it for a few days before daycare, it will fill him up and get him used to milk.

Hi, yep WHOLE milk after age 1 until age 2. BUT, you should get him off the bottle. All four of my kids were weaned of the bottle by 11 months. Start introducing the cup and get him off that thing!!

1 / 3