Both Children Randomly Vomiting and Having Diarrhea

I have a 4 year old and a 21 month old. We went to the doctor over this a few days ago, and she said with a virus like this, it can take as many as several weeks to get out of their systems. We are on the second week of intermittent vomiting and diarrhea with the 21m old. As of yesterday the diarrhea seems to be over, but he had it for 10 straight days. He would also throw up at night -sometimes more than once -every couple of days. He acts just fine during the daytime and eats and plays -and the vomiting didn't happen every day. Now my 4 year old has had diarrhea two days ago and then again this morning. Last week he vomited a few times at night, but was then fine. Last night he threw up several times, but says he feels fine today (although he had diarrhea this morning). This is so odd to me because I'm used to the 24-48 hour stomach bugs where there's a lot of puking and pooping -and then it's gone. This seems so random and drawn out! I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and if there could possibly be something else wrong? I love our doctor, but I always believe in doing my own research! ***There are no food allergies and the youngest has NO dairy (his choice) in his diet, but the oldest hasn't always had these symptoms after having any dairy products (I read about indicators of lactose intolerence).

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions! The pool water idea has really stuck in my head. Both boys go to our public community pool regularly, and my oldest has recently started swimming under water. The youngest will take a "sip" anytime he sneaks the chance! They installed a new filtration system last year, but heavily-trafficked public pool = who knows? I will also try an actual probiotic supplement. Both boys eat tons of yogurt, but I know the probiotic supplements give large dosages. I love the probiotic idea because at least it can't hurt! Thanks again!

My daughter always got 24-48 hour bugs until she got the Rotavirus last year. She was doing what your children are doing for about 10 days. It's a much more pesky virus than a regular stomach bug and if things persist longer than 3-4 weeks, then ask your ped. to test the kids for Giardia. That's a parasite that can be passed through water.

When my daughter brought this home, I stayed up that first night and Clorex-wiped every surface and every toy in the house. All the stuffed animals went into the laundry and all furniture and carpets got sprayed with Lisol. After that, I kept her in her room and bathroom, away from the rest of the house until her bug passed 2 days later.

Virus warfare is definately a battle! Keep to the BRAT diet until done for optimal stomach/sickness comfort. (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast).

Make sure you keep spraying the surfaces of the whole house with Lysol (or some equivalent). I have been doing that and it's really helped keep the cooties away.

Also, have you tried the BRAT diet for the kids for a couple days? Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. It lets the body get back to normal.

There's nothing wrong with doing your own research - as long as it's from credible sources. Unfortunately, there's a LOT of bad health information out there. One recent study suggested as much as 40% of health information online is from poor sources and is inaccurate.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of viruses out there that have really knocked kids down this year. Our kids are 4 and 2, both in day care full time, and they're always having something or another.

Overuse of antibiotics the past 20 years has really increased issues with ineffective antibiotics. So, when a virus is suspected, pediatricians do the right thing by not prescribing an antibiotic. There are a few antivirals on the market (Tamiflu being the most notable), but you have to use them within the first 48 hours of infection, and they're only FDA approved for certain flu virus strains.

Chances are, your kids are either just getting over the hump, or they're getting reinfested with a strong viral strain. It's so hard to watch them go through it and to be helpless.

Not sure if this will help, but I'm a HUGE fan of HealthyChildren.org, the American Academy of Pediatrics' parenting website:
http://www.healthychildren.org/english/search/pages/resul...

We experienced this with our little one and it was so frustrating and you feel so helpless. We finally used a probiotic and it cleared up the vomiting. Our doctor recommended Lactinex and we used it for about 2-3 weeks. You should try it (or any other probiotic) and see if it helps.

That is odd, and since the dr. said it was a virus I'd think it was the case. The only thing I'd do (other than keep them hydrated) is to make their diets a bit more "bland" so to not upset the stomachs... and I would give them so probiotics so their bowel can get the good bacterial levels back up. Hang in there - it's no fun for anyone!

My friend's children did this exact same thing for nearly a month. Dr. kept saying it was a virus, blah blah blah. She figure out on her own that her pool was making them sick! Her husband took a sample in and algae was lurking in there. Her son who swallows pool water was the sickest. If you have a pool or swim somewhere regularly, check your water!

I could have written this same post. In fact, I found this by googling "random vomiting and diarrhea in children"! My boys are 4 and 17 months and have had the exact same symptoms. We also talked to the doctor who said it was most likely just a prolonged stomach virus. We're trying probiotics this weekend. Did that help your kiddos? Is everybody feeling better now? I hope so because I feel your pain!

:-) K.

1 / 3