Born with a Tooth

My friend had her daughter last night and she was born with a full grown tooth. The doctor seems to think everything is okay. Just a little worried. So if anyone knows about this happening please let me know so I can reassure her. Thanks

I have read about this in baby books. It's rare, but perfectly normal. Tell your friend not to worry at all.

I read about this in the "What to Expect the First Year" book and it says that it is normal, but they will have to pull the tooth. Hope this helps.

ITs all ok my husband was born with one

Congrats to your friend tell her to enjoy these times because they go by so quickly, I say better an extra tooth than a missing limb right? There could be so many more things wrong with her be glad she is as healthy as she is! But getting back to the tooth I just found out from a friend that she has had 4 sets of teeth they had to pull out two entire set of teeth! I guess she just had extras, she's a friend that I have met online, so I haven't poked too much into it, but from her pictures her teeth look wonderful, and I would have never guessed until she said something. So I'm sure it will all turn out well, I'm sure the only person who might be able to tell you the best plan of action would be a dentist not a doctor in the hosp. though. She may have to have a little work done eventually, but I'm sure it will all turn out just fine. OR may be it's just that an earily growing tooth, not an extra one, only time will tell again, count your blessings she's a healthy baby! Breathe.
~C.~

hey i am a mom of a 2 yr old little boy..my friend had a daughter born with a tooth, everyone said it was fine..she never had problems with it..all her teeth came is earlier then my son's did, but no probs...
My name is S. i live in weaverville nc..

my cousin has had TWO kids born with teeth. one had a top eye tooth and the other child had a bottom front tooth. they just told her that this was uncommon but not to worry. their other teeth came in at a normal rate. i also have a friend who's father was born with a tooth. sooo, i know 3 people who were born with teeth - not so strange afterall!

Hi- congrats to your friend!! Although I have heard of this, I don't know of anyone who this has happened to.

I just googled this and found this website http://www.atlantadentist.com/baby_born_with_tooth.html.

Here's a quote:

A baby born with tooth is uncommon. Since it is so rare parents often worry a great deal about the tooth. A tooth that exists when a baby is born is called a neonatal tooth. Baby teeth begin forming when the baby is still in the womb. Sometimes the teeth just develop faster. Unless the tooth is loose it is not something you should really worry about too much although it is still a good idea to see a dentist to help determine what course of action should be taken.

In rare instances a baby born with tooth can actually have a spare tooth. That tooth that has already erupted, that the baby is born with, actually formed over the baby teeth that have yet to come in. The tooth is most often a bottom front tooth. If the tooth is an extra tooth it will fall out eventually when the real baby tooth is coming in but in some cases it may need to be removed. This will especially help with breast feeding the child.

I also just found a statistic that said one in 2,000 babies is born with one or more teeth.

Good luck to your friend!

1 / 3