Border for Around Swing Set

I need opinions on what type of border to put around our swingset wood, plastic, composite wood or any other suggestions you may have. Also what has everyone put under their swing sets I am going to be doing daycare and would like to do something easy yet safe. I like the idea of pea rock because at least when it rains it does not turn to mud. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For under the swingset, I have a Rainbow Playset with woodchips under it. As it rains and gets packed down they are nice and spongy and soft.

Check this link out. My sister's in - laws bought this for her play area.
Best part about this stuff is that it is recyycled and no need to worry about splinters or puncture wounds.
http://www.homestead.com/prosites-closetheloop/tirechips....

Pea rock is a nice idea in therory, but kids throw it. It can be a pain to get out of the lawn and if kids fall it is still a rock. I went to a park not too long ago that used some rubber chips, almost like a recycled tire type rubber. It was real soft and probably easier to rake up, or mow over. Don't know where to find it but it would be my first choice. Second wood chips. Then rock. :)

We are going to be doing an outdoor play area also and are going to just use sand with the landscape fabric under. We are going to dig it down about 8" so we shouldn't need any border except for the grass. That way with the sand if they get bored with the play equipment they can always play in the sand. I think we might also put the play tower part in the sand and the swingset arm out into the grass. That way the little ones won't be playing around the swings and the kids won't be throwing sand with their feet when they swing.
Another downer with pea rock is that the babies like to eat it. I have had a tough time keeping the landscape rocks out of my 1 year old's mouth - yummy :o( And then just about the time I get the baby away from them the older kids will fill their bucket full and dump it in the sandbox so then I'm picking rocks. I think we are going to change to the red mulch in the landscaping and the sand in the play area.
I'll be interested to see what your other replies are.

We did wood chips and they have worked out fine. The rubber ones probably work well too, they cost a little more.

We have a wood border with rubber mulch inside. The mulch cushions their fall and doesn't get stuck in their socks or pants. You can buy the mulch at home depot and Menards. I highly recommend it.

I watched on the HGTV or TLC a home improvement whent they did a swing set and they used rubber chips that you can buy at Home Depot. Not sure how spendy they are but it would be a fun surface.

After reading the other messages I just wanted to say that I used to work for a mulch business. We sold alot of wood chips, they are a little more expensive than regular mulch, but the cost really is not as bad because they do not break down nearly as fast as the mulch. With the chips you only really have to put a top coat on every year after the initial application. You would have to check with the local laws for daycares to see how deep you hace to put it. In the area that I worked in the chips had to be at least 8 inches deep. The way that you figure out how much you need is that 1 cubic yard at 3 -4 inches deep is 100 square feet. Also to the response with the red mulch in or around the play area, the only problem is that it can stain skin and clothes. Also when it rains it can become a big staining problem. Just a note from a mulch person.

I find that the shredded rubber is the most forgiving with injuries and is eco friendly

1 / 3