Boosting a 2 Year Olds Immune System PLEASE HELP

Hi moms! my 2 1/2 year old keeps getting sick... i just want to see her get healthy. i know kids get sick but she is sicker than most and NOT in daycare. from 7-11months she's had an ear infection, kidney infection, pneumonia and colds all in between. she was put on so many antiboitics and by 12 months i left our MD pediatrician and seeked help from a naturopathic doctor who changed her whole diet, took her off dairy and stopped immunizations. since then weve gotten thru colds and fevers without tylenol and let her body do its job. now from june til now weve had 1 ear infection that needed antibiotics, the next month a pylinitol cyst that needed to be lanced open, again on antibiotics, the next month a infection in her skin which came out as MRSA, again antibiotics, and just last month another small infection with MRSA and antibiotics again. now she has a upper respritory infection which is viral. I am in desperate need of help to any moms out there who know natural ways of boosting immunity. she eats her veggies and protien. please help. also she was breastfed for 10 months and supplemented with formula (i now know the effects of formula unfortunately). THANKS so much moms!!!

I would talk to an MD pediatrician about whether she is really having an unusual number of infections. If so, he/she may recommend consulting and immunologist as there are a number of immune deficiencies that she should be tested for. Most are rare and most likely it's just an unlucky run of infections but I would certainly find out. Discontinuing immunizations may not be the best thing if she is truly predisposed to infection.

take vitamin D3 supplements. I give my daughter an extra 500iu over what is in her mulitvitamin. Kids should get 1000iu for every 25lbs. Also try some probiotics. The antibiotics have killed all the good bacteria in her body, and need replenished. You can get florastor for kids at any pharmacy. You probably have to ask for it though.
http://www.easy-immune-health.com/Vitamin-D-Requirements....

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.j...
that one (above) is the probiotic i give my daughter. It is cheaper than florastor but a very good name brand.
My daughter used to get colds all the time. Once I started the vitamin D3 she hasn't gotten any.

Taking her off milk and stopping immunizations helped which is great. Milk is very mucous forming and the number one allergen. You didn't say but does she have any developmental delays? There are so many things that could be going on here. Did she have reactions to any vaccine? Never mind with her being sick so often and vaccinating so often it is likely. She is little so you'll want to work closely with your ND on using naturals. Through your MD you might consider IgE food allergy testing IgE, through your ND IgG food sensitivity testing. Alletess has a test kit for $85. Kirkman sells liquid colostrum for the immune system which can be helpful but you'll likely need more than that. A comprehensive diagnostic stool analysis by Genova may be helpful too. It will show you the bacteria you are dealing with and the agents, scripts and naturals that are sensitive or resistant. Have the MD check her ASO and DNASE titers to see if she has a chronic strep infection and look into PANDAS too.

Please do not blame this on formula. I formula fed my two boys and they are extremely healthy. Much more healthy than MANY of the breastfed children that I know.

Can't your naturopath advise you on how to boost hte immune system-I was under the impression that is what they specialized in.

I would make sure she is taking a daily multi-vitamin with extra Vitamin C and other antioxidants. I would not be so quick to blame the formula you gave her as an infant - my DD was fed only formula (I had to stop breastfeeding after 2 weeks because of medication I was put on for blood clots) and she is now 3 and hardly ever gets sick at all. Plus you were still giving breastfeeding her so it's not like the formula was going to negate the benefits of the breastfeeding.

As much as people don't want to give their kids so much juice, 3 yo DD gets a fair amount (watered down 50/50, but sometimes 3 or 4 cups a day) and it's the Minute Maid Kids O.J. with added Vitamin E and D and calcium - she also gets her teeth brushed twice a day so I am not as worried about cavities (and she doesn't continually sip on it all day either). Sometimes I wonder if that's what is helping with her immunity. She eats a lot of yogurt too.

We have been giving our 2 yr old a 4 oz cup of OJ every day since the beginning of cold and flu season...it definitely helps! He also eats 1 yogurt every day on a "normal" basis; 2 yogurts when he's on on antibiotics.

Another thing to keep in mind, all these little bugs they get now is building thier immune system for when they're older. I don't shelter my son from getting colds and other minor illnesses because ultimately it means he will miss less school because he will have already built up immunities to common viruses.

up her antioxidant and vitamin C intake.

Probiotics! I saw another mom posted that as well. We have my son on Cutrelle for Kids he is 3. Not only is it good for thier immune system but also for their digestive health. I started my son on it after he was very sick and had diarrhea for almost a month. Since, he hasn't gotten sick and he is in preschool 2days a week. so he's around kids all the time. You can get it at the pharmacy or at the grocery store in the pharmacy section. It's worth a shot. And there aren't any bad things that could come from trying, hopefully just a healthier baby!

1 / 3