Books for Kindergartener

My son is not yet reading, but he loves to have chapter books read aloud to him (my husband is currently reading Prince Caspian). I heard the Mercy Watson books are good (is that a boy or a girl pig?...Does that matter?). I want to start getting books that we can read together, but eventually he can read by himself. All we have are the big picture books like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Bear Snores On. Does anyone know of any good books for this next level? Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice! We did go to the library to look at all the different choices. He picked out a few he liked to bring home. I have always liked to have books on hand in my house just in case moment strikes to read, so we also went to the bookstore. I did check out just about every suggestion here, and though some aren't right for us at this time, they look like good ideas for the future.

These are his favorites so far:
Nate the Great
Hi! Fly Guy (Tedd Arnold)
Magic Tree House #16 Hour of the Olympics (he's obsessed w/ China and the Olympics right now)
Flat Stanley
Stink The Incredible Shrinking kid
Mercy Watson
Mighty Robot (Ricky Ricotta)

My mom also found a stack of my old Berenstain Bears and I Can Read books in her basement. I must say, there was a comment about him being able to sit while he is read chapter books...It doesn't last long. He'll sit for about 5 pages, depending on the book, and then quietly play with his brother on the floor. A while back I read that it was still good for kids to hear the words being said aloud even if they weren't sitting still. He is still listening. Also, just to let you all know...Buy your books online! Every book we looked at was cheapest on Amazon or Overstock.com. Amazon even does a buy 3 get 1 free for most of these books.
Thanks again!

Well, when he starts to read he wont be reading chapter books.

Some good beginner books are Berenstein Bears, Mercer Meyer, and Dr. Seauss. My kids loved those and both learned to read with them--then in first grade they began reading simple chapter books like Junnie B Jones,captain Underpants and Magic Tree house.

A nice series for you to read to him now or him to read later is Michigan and American Chillers.

My son, who is going into Kindergarten in the fall, love having the Magic Tree House books read to him. It is a series of chapter books (10 chapters per book) where a brother/sister team travel all over the world and in different times. They are great books and I even enjoy them. We are book 15 - Viking Ships at Sunrise.

My son loves
Junie B Jones books,
Mr Putter and Tabby
Magic Treehouse
Magic school bus
Mercy Watson
Nate the Great
Baily School kids adventures

Non chatper he loves loves loves
Skippy Jon Jones and it has even motivated him to want to learn to read

We love Mo Williams books, "Today I will Fly"., "My Friend is Sad", "Pigeon finds a Hotdog".....They are repetitive and very funny. Both my kids have loved these books. Today I will Fly, and My Friend is Sad is geared towards the younger kids too. LOVE THESE BOOKs

Hi S.!

I am a consultant for Barefoot Books, an independent children's book publisher. We have lovely, inspiring, creative books for 5-year-old boys!! Take a look at my website www.mybarefootbooks.com/LoriHachenski and see what you think. Send me an e-mail or call (info on my website) for specific recommendations. Each of the books has a recommeded age range -- both a "Read Together" age and a "Read Alone" age. They are fantastic!! For a 5-year-old, I'd recommend "The Prince's Bedtime," or if he's into Pirates, "The Barefoot Book of Pirates," an anthology of stories. So many to recommend and choose from -- I'd be happy to speak with you live. Let me know what you think!

Thanks so much!! I'm ALWAYS interested in talking about books for kids! So I love this post!

Good luck -

I am not sure where you live but the west bloomfield libuary have a great collection of books called the 100 books. They are the 100 books every kindergartener should read. If you go there they will give you a cool poster that lists all the books and a sticker to place on it once the book is read. It is very motivating for my kids. They also have a great summer reading club for young children. They log the hours they read (or are read to) and they get stickers and a prize book at the end of 12 hours.

Happy reading

the very hungry catepillar
one fish, two fish (Dr. Suess)
Good night moon

encourage your son to "read" to you from his picture books. It sparks his imagination and gives him a great understanding of "how" books work, like the progression of a story.
it could end up being a new story every night based on what he is seeing in the pictures!

At your local library they have a whole set of books for young children set up by levels of reading. Ask the librarian to show you and enjoy!

1 / 3