Books for a 6 Year Old Boy

My son is 6 years old and is just finishing Kindergarten. He is really good at reading and we are in the middle of reading the Boxcar Children Series and have read the Magic Tree House Series to him. Tonight he read the first chapter of one of the Boxcar Children books to us. I am looking for a series for him to read to us this summer. He's kind of sensitive so he wouldn't like the goosebumps or anything scary. He does like trains and trucks etc. Any suggestions for some books he might like? I'm trying to encourage his reading but not make him think I made him spend the summer reading. We will continue to read to him since he's only 6 but I just want to keep him interested.

My son is also 6 and will be starting first grade in the fall. One of his favorite books is The Twits by the same guy who wrote James and the Giant Peach, the name has left me.

Enjoy!

Andrew Lost series by J. C. Greenburg. This was one of my son's favorite series, we found all but the newest books at our local library. My son prefers humor and science to scary, (these books include science like Magic Tree House includes history) and at age 8 we still get the new books when they come out. The books "build" on each other, (at least 4 in a mini series I think), so make sure you read them in order.

He also liked Ready Freddy books by Abby Klein, these books are great beginning chapter books with humor.

Enjoy!

Junie B. Jones by Barbara Parks are really funny books. nothing scary

My seven-year-old son who was also an early and enthusiastic reader enjoys the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, Captain Underpants series (and others by Dave Pilkey, if you can stand it), and the Magic Treehouse books. He also likes reading books with random facts, like the Scholastic Book of World Records, and short historical biographies -- Ben Franklin, Harriet Tubman, etc. The library seems to be loaded with this sort of thing, which is good because I save money by not buying things he might not be interested in. Some of the biographies (and other kids books and series) really click with his current interests, and some are a total miss, so I wait and see which library books he gravitates toward and then look for opportunities to get more in the same vein.

K.,
Talk to your school or township libratian for suggestions. Most schools have a summer required reading and suggested book list that is grade/age appropriate. It's great that he is a good reader. My kids love to read as well!
Have a great summer!

My son loved Jigsaw Jones and Horrible Harry. He also liked some of the more girlie series like Junie B. Jones and Nancy Drew Clue Crew (not to be confused with the regular Nancy Drew Books). You can also try Pee Wee Scouts and the Berenstein Bears have a chapter book series that my son devoured.

Make books available to him and you may be surprised how quickly reading catches on for him. My son couldn't handle scary things either and didn't even like the Magic Tree House books at first.

Here are a few series that we have read but they don't fit under the truck and trains theme (I only have girls)

Junie B Jones (can be a tad annoying), Cam Jansen, Katie Kazoo Switcheroo, Horrible Harry, Roscoe Riley Rules, Ready Freddy, My Weird School, Geronimo Stilton and Rainbow Magic (could be too girly).

I don't think you should see reading as punishment over the summer. We incorporate it into every day all year long. You might also want to join the library's summer reading program and that will indirectly encourage reading over the summer.

Have fun!

I haven't re read them in a while but what about the Ramona Quimby books, beezus and ramona, etc

There is a series of three books called, My father the dragon that is kinda cute and more boy-ish.

Charlottes Web? might be a bit sad/scary

We just read the beatrice potter collection benjamin bunny, peter rabbit etc.
I"ll keep thinking but the suggestion to ask a teacher or the librarian is a good one.
Hooray for BOOKS!! And boys that love to read them!!

Just thought of a few more,
The littles or the borrowers the little guys with tails that live in the walls of the "biggs' House"
Stuart little who i think is different right?
Ralph and the motorcycle a riding rodent

have fun

1 / 3