Book Recommendations - Minneapolis,MN

Hello! I am a second grade teacher and mom of 2 boys. My time spent reading for fun is limited at times, but I have Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks ahead and look forward to snuggling in with some good books. What have you read recently that you recommend? Any and all suggstions welcome. Thanks!

The Space Between Us - I forget the author. One of the best books I've ever read. It didn't "sound" good when I picked it up - it's about the difference between rich and poor in India - but wow, what a story. I fell in love with the poor woman living in the slums! She was so real. It's one of those books that makes you want to go out and do some good for people!

Ya know what I have done?
Well I have a 9 year old daughter.... so I have been reading HER books!
Its great!
Easy reading, interesting, of varied topics and genres. And my daughter gets a kick that I am reading 'her' books. THEN we talk about it! Fun!

And, my kids have TONS AND TONS of books at home... some they read, some they have not read .
So I read their chapter books.

Then that way, I am not spending money!
Or having to go anywhere to 'get' a book.

But anyway, my suggestions would be:
"Watership Down."
Loved that book as a kid. But it is not only a kid book. It is a real classic! And a big ol' thick book.
Nice to curl up to.

Have you read "The Help"?

where should I begin? LOL I've got a collection of around 1,200 print books at my house, and about 500 e-books.

I recommend the following (all are a little different),

Anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon (but especially her dark hunters ... vampires that DON'T sparkle)
Anything by Catherine Coulter - but I particularly like her FBI thriller series, a couple of them be careful when you read them, you might not sleep well
As someone else recommended anything by Janet Evanovich but especially her Stephanie Plum series (starts with one for the money and is numbered after that, 18 is coming out on tuesday)
Anything by Jayne Anne Krentz/Jayne Castle/Amanda Quick (all the same author LOL) Her arcane society novels are great, and the ones set on harmony (these are written under the castle name).
Anything by Douglas Adams - especially The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Series
The Secret Life of Bees ... I cried my eyes out, can't remember the author.
Anything by Marie Harte ... these are definitely erotic romance, so ignore if that's not your thing.
I personally really like Dan Brown's stuff too ... although if you're particularly religious you may not like some of it :)
State of Fear by Michael Crichton I thought was really good too.

That's all I can think of at the moment LOL but feel free to message me if you want other suggestions LOL Give me more ideas what you really like and I'm sure I can give you more ideas.

Also I write reviews for Night Owl Reviews (www.nightowlreviews.com) you can check there for ideas too :)

"S.'s Key" -wonderful but HEAVY and will haunt you!

"The Lonely Polygamist" -soooooo good!

These are young adult fiction, and I think a movie is about to come out, but "The Hunger Games" is FANTASTIC! I just finished it for a book club, and I am getting my hands on the 2nd in the series tomorrow! (There are three -"The Hunger Games" "Catching Fire" and I think "Mockingjay" is the title of the last one).

Another vote for "The Help". Excellent book.

Here are other suggestions:
"Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood
"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein
"How to Be Lost" by Amanda Eyre Ward
"Belong to Me" by Marisa de los Santos
Any book by Jennifer Weiner
Any book by Janet Evanovich
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith is great.

Happy reading!!

The Help, Still Alice, Water for Elephants, S.'s Key, Left Neglected, Before I Go To Sleep, A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Next Thing on my List, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (series of 3 books), Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, anything by Jennifer Weiner, anything by Jodi Picoult. Happy reading!

What do you like to read?

There are a lot of good books out there.

The Help.
A Girl with the Golden Tattoo
Any books from John Patterson
Any books from Grishom
Any books from Iris Johannson

If you love humor and drama - Janet Evanovich has a great series that will have you laughing and turning the pages - One for the money, two for the show!! Go to the library and browse!! you will be in heaven!!!

good luck!

1 / 3