Book for Mystery Reader -2Nd

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good picture book for Mystery Reader for 2nd grade?

we always enjoyed the magic tree house books. as well as the box car kids. I can't remember any specific mystery books. I will have to ask my son..hopefully, he will remember some..but he is going to be 15.

How about The Cheese by Margie Palatini, Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst, Mind your Manner B.B. Wolf by Judy Sierra, Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook by Michael Garland, Miss Nelson is Missing by James Marshall & Harry Allard. All of these have wonderful illustrations and are perfect for a quick read. I'm going to read The Cheese and Alexander books to my daughters 1st grade class.

A bad case if the stripes is one I read to my second graders. The other books people here have mentioned aren't really picture books-more like chapter books! They'd be long for mystery reader. Go ask your local librarian they know all sorts of books thar kids this age love!

My daughter is a 2nd grader and a mystery buff. She loves A to Z mysteries, Goosebumps (which I've never read and she swears aren't scary), American Girl mysteries, Cam Jansen, Choose-Your-Own Adventures and I believe they are now making Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys for that age group.

Like another suggested, the Goosebumps books are good for this age. My kids were totally afraid to read them but one day in 3rd grade one of them picked one up and now they all try to read them as much as possible. They thought they were scary but say they aren't. Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys are out there again, as are books called The Boxcar Kids, these were out when I was younger as well. I think Nancy Drew is the only one that has changed (she's gotten younger and simpler mysteries) Encyclopedia Brown was a favorite of mine when I was in 2nd grade and I have found those at the bookstores recently. If you work or live near the Loop, the BAMM bookstore at Dearborn and Adams has a great selection of books at clearance prices. That is where I get Nancy Drew books for one of my girls.

I would go to your library and look at the newest Award winning picture books. Most of the books that people listed are longer chapter books. I would assume the teacher wants you to take between 10-20 min. You could even get 2 books and let the children vote on which book they would like to read.

How about some cute Halloween books. Ira Sleeps Over, Avacado Baby and If you Give a Mouse a Cookie are all cute books.

My 5th grader recommends:

Cam Jansen, Juranimo Stilton (series name), some Junie B. Jones books.

1 / 3