Boiled Water for Corn. Can I Use It for Something Else?

Basic corn on the cob. I add nothing to the water. When it cools, can I use it to water my garden or anything? What do you do with the water? It kills me to just dump it down the drain.

Thanks ladies.

absolutely, the garden would work, you could add spices and potato peels to it and make broth, then store it in ice cube form. Or you could make a soup,use it as a chili base.

I wrap the ears in wax paper and cook it in the microwave. Comes out delicious and there is no water.

Absolutely! I read somewhere this is great fertilizer for your garden. I steam my corn. Uses less water.

I steam the corn on the cob. Put just an inch or two of water in the pan, and use a steamer rack or vegetable steamer or heat-safe colander. Bring the water to a boil, lower the corn in and cook it for about 8 minutes or so (covered, so the steam doesn't all escape), or until the kernels are tender. That way you're not wasting much water.

Yes, but let it cool first!

Of course you can!! That's a great idea. If more people thought like you the world would be a better place. I use my "used" water all the time to water my houseplants (water form steamed veggies or hardboiled eggs - cool it and water plants). I even use the water from the fishtank (it has to be cleaned every month or so ) to water the plants or the garden. Absolutely! You go girl!

Yes I recycle for plants and garden

You could then add some chicken & do chicken soup I guess. After it cools, throw it in the garden. I never thought twice about that water. Did you know you can steam COTC with about 1/4 cup of water in the microwave instead of boiling it?

I've been processing tomatoes for the freezer... blanching them in boiling water, then cooling them in ice water.

When I was finished each time, I dumped the water (once it had cooled) in the garden...... why not? We are in such severe drought here in Texas that I try to utilize all that, even the few gallons that I used.

I cook my corn on the cob in the microwave. I shuck 2-3 layers and pull out as much of the silk as possible. Then I throw them in the microwave, about 5-7 minutes for 4 ears. Let it cool in the microwave for a minute and then shuck the rest of it. I do not use any water at all.

I use all the water from veggies and boiling eggs on my plants. It's good for them!

why not? I would!!

I keep our cut offs from veggies - you know the root ends and take them over to the compost pile...

Let it cool and water your flower garden - or your neighbor's. The flowers won't mind.

Yes..why not cool it & water the garden? Great idea!

Definitely. I do this all the time w/ anything that I boil or steam -- eggs, veggies, etc. Water is a precious resource here in So Cal :)

When I cook or steam vegetables I use the water for SOUPS! (I washed them throughly before cook them).

We soak the corn in the husks in water in the sink and then grill it.

As for boiled water and water in the sink, I just send it down the drain.

Do you have a pressure cooker? I just started cooking my corn in one, it's sooo fast and only needs a couple cups of water (that way you don't have to worry about what to do with it)LOL.

I have used that water to cook pasta or rice - it gives it another taste.