Board Games for a 2 Year Old??

My little one turned two recently and I am hoping that we can soon play some board games to break up the day a bit. I imagine 2 is a little too young for most games, but does anyone have any suggestions on something that your 2-year old liked and was able to play? He knows numbers to 10 and some colors, animals, etc. Much thanks in advance for any help you can give. I bought the Lucky Ducks game---wow, was that a mistake...I can only take about two minutes of that quacking and back to the toy graveyard.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful ideas and taking the time to write. I really appreciate it. I am going to try some of these--did not realize there are so many games for a child of his age. You gave me some great ideas and a trip to Target is in order this week and no more Lucky Ducks! Thanks again, K.

Candyland...you can make it as simple as you want it to be!! I haven't met a child yet that hasn't loved it!

I am a mother of three and I can tell you that all three of my children loved the game of memory. You could start off with maybe a few, then as he starts learning how it works, maybe add a few more.
But you're right, not a whole lot of games without small pieces.
Books are a good choice to break up the day and this will help him learn so much more.

sorry, I don't have anything for board games, but I'd like to suggest playing cards, and pass a ball back and forth to each other. This may keep his interest a little longer!

All of these games have been mentiond, but I just wanted to second the recommendations of Elefun, Candyland Castle, and Hi-Ho Cherry-O. My daughter is just over 2 and she loves these games. We have memory, but we play it differently...we call it the buddy game and we set the cards up face-up and then we give her the other stack with the matching cards and have her find "the buddies". She can play over and over again for hours. We also have a Melissa and Doug set of opposites cards. She really likes matching those too!

Good luck. 2 is definitely not too young for games!

Hi Ho Cherry-o is a big hit with my 2 year old, they now have instructions that make it a cooperative game where you're not competing, which I think is easier for one that age to understand. He also really likes Go Fish (the one that comes with the fishing pole). Candyland he either didn't get or was bored by, not sure which.

Hi-Ho Cherry-O. It's basically a counting game. It should be fairly easy for him. Our littlest one loved that game when she was 2.

Zingo, its like Bingo but with pictures. My kids loved it when they were younger.

We play Tic Tac Tony with my 2 year old. It's not a board game, but a game none the less.

Candy Land is a good start.

Try hitting up an educational toy store. We have one near us called Educational and Fun, it is like a resource store for teachers. There we found a matching game with larger sized cards that were just the right size for our 2 year old. He won't really sit there and play the game though. I know he COULD, he just will not sit long enough.

1 / 3