BMX Bike for 11 Year-old Boy?

After two frustrating hours looking for bikes for my son this morning, I realize I'm clueless. Does anyone know anything about BMX bikes vs. any other kind? Are they good for general riding around? Any particular brand or type of BMX bike you'd recommend?
My head is spinning! Thanks.

My 15 year old son is into biking and he says, "for an 11 year-old, about the top of the line would be a Haro BMX. It's just a good all-around strong bike for riding and jumping and dirt riding. The cost is around $250. But if you're not looking to spend that much, Target or Walmart carry cheaper BMX bikes that just aren't as well-built, but still fine for dirt riding and general use."
He says you don't need anything "fancy or expensive" unless he's planning on getting involved in the sport.
Good luck and have fun!
M. C

It's Bicycle Motocross, AKA BMX. This is a fun sport including riding on dirt & performing tricks which is perfect for their age group. The bikes are very heavy and have pegs on the wheel sides for standing. These bikes are only recommended if your sons will be practicing tricks or joining a BMX team (Y BMX Orange ###-###-####) but not ideal for general street riding. A light-weight bike is better for long distance riding such as organized family rides or following the river bed to the beach.

I agree with Jean B. Go to a small bike shop and take your son. He needs to have a bike that fits him now and maybe can grow with him a bit. Make sure that he can operate it safely. Some children have difficulty with hand brakes when younger so he might still need coaster brakes. I had a real neat bike that was a three speed with both coaster brakes and hand brakes. Make sure it is well made. Did you know that they also have lojack for bikes now? Also invest in a good helmet and locks. Teach your children how to use those also. You want locks that are tuff but easy enough for the kids to use all the time. Good luck.

Good luck and have fun!
M. C

BMX Bikes aren't for general riding around; they're for racing, expensive and extremely sought after by thieves. While riding with a friend, my son was surrounded by a group of men in their late teens/early twenties that pointed a gun at him and told him to get off of his bike. He refused and raced away. Thank God they both got away and returned home safely. He was an expert rider and had alot of experience racing and jumping. Buy an inexpensive bike and keep your son safe.

I have 2 boys 10 & 14. We have always bought them Haro bikes. They can use these to ride around town, play and even race BMX tracks! They are durable & reliable. Good luck & have fun!

Depends on what kind of riding your son wants to do. If it's riding around with friends, do tricks, etc., get a BMX (Bicycle Motor Cross). If he's going to ride on mountain/dirt trails, get a mountain bike. If he plans on riding on beach bike trails, get an all around commuter or even a cruiser bike. Either way, go to a bike shop. They will help you and also fit your son properly on the bike. Performance Bicycles is a good all around bike shop with plenty of choices. You can find them on-line. Our family rides bikes together. If you'd like to correspond more, feel free to send me a message. good luck.

Go to craigslist.com they always have a lot of bikes at great prices. I just bought my son who is 14 a bike from there it is great. Take your son with you to see a few and try them out what ever he likes he will use. Good luck.

When I was a kid all I wanted more than anything in the world was a BMX bike (I was a tomboy). So YES BMX bikes are great for dirt bike riding and just playing around the neighborhood. Good luck!

1 / 3