Blue, Purple Feet in My 7 Month Old Son Please Help ASAP

over the past couple of week we have began to really notice that my sons feet are constantly purple or blue. they are always freezing. his hands have start to become the same way but not as often. i mean everyday all day his feet are purple or blue. no matter if he is bundled in clothes and nice and warm his feet are still freezing and the same color. i can push on them and they turn white for about 10-15 seconds then return to the blue color.

should this be something that i need to see a physician about ASAP or is it something normal

also i forgot to add that his legs have become swollen over the past couple of week also.

PLEASE see a pediatrician IMMEDIATELY!! Take him to the hospital NOW if you cannot get in to one. Seriously.....go now!!! Stop reading and GO!!!

Take him to the Doctor.
This week.
Tomorrow.
Take photos even, to show the Doctor, if it comes and goes.

It could be a circulatory issue that he'll grow out of. BUT, it could also be an indication of a heart problem. It's very very important that you get him to the doctor right away. This isn't something you want to wait on. If it's no big deal, than at least you'll know. However, if it's something serious you want to find out NOW.

I've always been told this may indicate a heart condition. See a doctor.

Yep, I'd go to the doc asap, sounds like a circulatory problem.

I would take him to a pediatrician right away. My nephew who is also 7 months, has had this problem since birth. They found he had a major heart defect and he had surgery recently.

Take him to the Doctor.
This week.
Tomorrow.

Take him to the doctor / ER / Urgent care ASAP!!!! NOW!

Could be a sign of a heart problem. (Coarctation of the aorta comes to mind) Please do not wait!! GO now!!

Why are you still reading this?!! Go NOW!!

Yes, I would schedule an appointment sooner than later. Sounds like there's some circulation issues going on. Good luck!

Doctor.

It could be nothing. It could be serious.

Call the 24/7 nurses line through your hospital if your ped office is closed and tell THEM the symptoms and they will be able to tell you if you need to come into the ER right now, wait until tomorrow to see your doctor on an emergency basis ("The hospital told me I needed to have him seen today on an emergency basis"... peds always leave slots open for 'emergency basis' appointments for just this reason), or can schedule a regular appointment.

Call now.

I will say from experience that my 3 year old had this problem as a newborn and infant both. He grew out of it, he was just a cold child. My daughter has this problem as well, she was diagnosed with 2 congenital heart defects at birth. She is 19 months now and no longer turns blue or purple. I would take him in for a good check up, mention to the doctor what is going on and ask him to take a good long listen to his heart to see if he hears a heart murmur, that is the first sign of a heart problem. Don't think the worst though. Some babies just need bundled up more than others.

Why not at least call the doctor and see what they say? It can't help to ask. Cold extremeties can be a sign of anemia, but that much discoloration isn't normal and the swelling would have sent me to the ER by now :(
Good Luck :)

my daughter is like that but instead they will turn bright red to purple i talked to her pedi about it and she said it was normal and to just keep socks on her a few times i put gloveson her hands to warm them up. she gets it from me because my feet and hands get cold very easily.

Er! Go now, don't delay!

My 19 month old son had the same thing happen, but only once, and his lips also turned blue. We took him to the cardiologist and nuerologist, went through numerous tests and blood work... everything came out normal. I will say if you think its serious to write asap, take him to the ER... may be a waste of time or not, but always better to be safe than sorry.

My daughter is 8 months old and she is the same way. Her hands and feet stay freezing and her little feet are blue/purple. We did take her to the doctor and he said it is nothing to worry about. It just has to do with their inner core temperature and circulation. According to my doctor it is common in babies.

If it is after hours now, I would definitely call
The nurse on call!!

Maybe Raynaud's Syndrome? It would be rare in a child this young, but worth mentioning to your son's ped.

Get him to your ped tomorrow! In the mean time take pictures so that he/she can see what you are talking abou incase they aren't discolored when you go.

Edited: now that you added hi legs are swollen I hope you get off the computer and g him to the er!

Please go to the ER now!!!

ASAP - to the pediatrician! That is a major circulation issue and probably more.

I hope you've already been to a dr or ER. This sounds like a circulation problem. It's NOT normal--whatever it is!

go to the doctor. My aunt had purple feet and needed double bypass surgery because of blocked arteries. She was an adult, but I cant imagine that it's better in babies.

I am a certified posture alignement and pain management specialist and what I've repeatedly experienced is that when I see feet that are purple, the problem lies in a circulatory restriction from the HIPS. I've seen people go from purple to pink in a matter of minutes once I get the hips aligned and repositioned so that blood flow can go to the feet and legs properly.

This is NOT chiropractic. I use a series of e-cises/exercises to re-educate muscles to get them to do what they were meant to. There are over 600 muscles. If ONE doesn't do it's job, something else takes over. Bones are attached to muscles so if you re-educated a muscle, then it will reposition/move the bones where you want them to go. i.e. If someone is rotated in the hips and their back hurts, I get the right muscle anterior/posterior to work so that it takes out the rotation AND the back pain. Not rocket science, just a matter of really understanding the human body.

Might go to the EGOSCUE website and e-mail a therapist. Clearly, at 7 months, YOU'LL have to do the movement. There should be someone who can give you some help AND/OR call in to Pete Egoscue's radio show, if you can get it in your area. I'm in Fishers, IN.

Go to the doctor, now.

my daughter had this to around the same age her feet and hands would do it and they would be ice cold. I thought it could be a heart or circular problem so i called her doctor and he said that its normal and some kids do it and wasnt to concerned about it. She is now 2 and hasnt had anymore problems with it.