Blue # 1, Red #40 and Yellow # 6 in My Prenatal?!!

I am looking at the list of ingredients in my prenatal, and FD&C blue #1, red #40 and yellow # 6 are among those listed. I am bothered by these ingredients being in a prenatal vitamin (for many reasons, one being cancer in rats). I was really excited about this prenatal at first as my doc described the DHA and other key vitamins and minerals in it. But I can't get past the other bad things.....

Suggestions?

I buy all my supplements at a health food store, where they aren't full of unnecessary ingredients to make them look pretty. High quality supplements cost a bit more but are better for you and better absorbed by the body. AND some of the brands carried at health food stores are also carried at discount stores.

I think people worry too much about everything. They didn't even have prenatal vitamins back in the day. My friend is always analyzing every little ingredient that something contains. Worrying so much cannot be good for you. I am glad to have been pregnant in this day and age with all the technology that we have. Mothers didn't have prenatal vitamins, ultrasounds with 4d or 3d or many more of the amenities that we enjoy today. I feel blessed with all the things that we have been granted. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy.

Your doctor wouldn't have prescribed this medicine if it was harmful to a fetus. Would he?

I'm with Jennifer C. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy. I mean, it wasn't long ago when doctors told pregnant women to have a cocktail every night to soothe their nerves! I'm thinking that if 9 months of martinis managed to produce one of the finest generations in American history, then a little red #40 shouldn't upset your apple cart. Don't get too worked up. Being a mommy is hard enough work without sweating the small stuff! =) Congrats on your baby-to-be!

Good for you for being informed. I came across this site recently which blurbs about the results of a number studies on mice/rat responses to various dyes (mainly red and yellow). They made my skin crawl.

http://www.feingold.org/Research/dye-studies.html

Do your research and go with organic/natural options especially during pregnancy and throughout their young lives (really through high-school) as much as you can, as these developmental stages are by far the most important.

An incredible amount and variety of chemicals additives have pervaded our modern lives, and we just now becoming aware (the public) of the potential costs. The amount that they are found in food is especially disturbing.

But there is hope! Don't stop reading and researching! You still get to decide what you put into body and mind as well as your child's. You'll have to do lots of the legwork yourself at first, but eventually you will start finding good sources/good people to get sound information from, etc.

Trader Joe's sells a prenatal without artificial colors. Check out some health food stores and see what they have to offer.

i agree try a health food store - or look online for natural prenatals

its ridiculous - why do you care if your pills look colorfull?! i had the hardest time this week finding dog food that had had no colors in it, i mean why should my dog care!!

The coloring is bad but that also tells you that the manufacturer is probably not being real healthy in other areas either. The wrong kind of vitamin can be more dangerous than not taking one. Lesser quality vitamins cause the development of free radicals and that's what causes major diseases. I agree you need to go more natural. I take an vitamin and mineral complex that is guaranteed to absorb. The company I use also has a prenatal vitamin as well as a prenatal pack that includes minerals and Omegas.

Let me know if you're interested and I can send you some information on them.

Congratulations on your little one!

1 / 3