December 02, 2010,
A.R. asks from Madison, WI on December 09, 2009
Blotchy Redness Around Toddler's Mouth After Eating
My son will be 21 months old this month. Since he has been just a little over 1 year old I've occasionally noticed that his face, right around his mouth, breaks out in these red blotches during/after he eats. I first noticed it when he was about 13 months old and eating hummus (the hummus was all over his face). When I wiped it away, it left a red "stain-like" marking all around his mouth. It went away on its own after about 30 minutes. Per doctor's recommendation I stopped feeding him hummus. However, in the past few months I've definitely noticed that almost every time he eats, he gets a more "blotchy-like" redness around his mouth which is also dry patches at times. It is slightly different than the hummus reaction. Once again it typically goes away within about 30 minutes or so, but some of the dryness remains. The dryness could be unrelated to this?? He has never been bothered by any of this and does not exhibit any other symptoms. The first thing that comes to mind is some type of sensitivity or allergy to a food, but since it happens almost all the time he eats I'm not sure how to determine what it would be??? One common thing at every meal is milk but that doesn't touch his skin. Just wondering if anyone has seen this in their children and what it might possibly be??? THANKS!
A.B. answers from Fargo on December 10, 2009
My son gets that, too, sometimes after eating. It's usually after we've had spaghetti or something similar. I think it's just a little reaction to the tomatoes, but not an allergy. We had allergy tests done on him last year and he was not allergic to any of them.
M.S. answers from Omaha on December 10, 2009
Glad you posted that question! Cause my daughter has the same issue. I never said anything it's just something I noticed. I put aquaphore on it and it goes away but always comes back. She does lick her lips while she's eating. Must be something in the spit.
Moms recommend the following deals from Mamapedia:
K.T. answers from Milwaukee on December 10, 2009
Both my children have very fair skin and therefore is sensetive. My daughter had the same issuse from when she was 12-14 months. Generally with tomato based sauces; it seemed anythings with a hint a acidity in it. My daughter also has excema (sp) and the doc felt it was a topical allergy and may impove with age. It did we still watch he very carefully to make she her face is alway cleaned right away and now that she is 3 today she has had minimal problems. Good luck!
M.S. answers from Milwaukee on December 09, 2009
Common items causing this:
Seeds in and on: fruit,jams and jellies, breads and spices
Milk and dairy, dairy "parts" as in box mac and cheese
Beans, peas, nuts and legumes (Hummis is in this catigory)
There are so many to list but the allergist will check them out for you.
M. in Wisconsin
A.C. answers from Madison on December 10, 2009
If it's a general blotchy redness around his lips, it very well could be an allergy to milk (either the casein or the whey protein). Milk allergies don't just have to affect the digestive system; they can also cause skin problems. If it happens every time he eats--and he usually always has milk with the food he eats--then he should be checked for milk allergy. Since he's still a baby/toddler, his pediatrician "might" test him for it. If she refuses, then find a naturopathic or an Integration doctor, who has the test. It costs about $25-$30 and is a saliva test.
Do the corners of his mouth crack? That can signify that he either isn't getting enough of the B-Vitamins or is low on iron. My 9-year-old daughter gets the cracks at the sides of her mouth quite a bit, and it's worse in the winter. She takes a B-Complex vitamin all year round, so when it starts up in the winter, I know she's low on iron and I give her an iron pill.
Remember that food intolerances are different from an allergy. Food allergies usually show up instantly--hives, swelling, can't breathe/swallow. (well, not usually with the milk allergies--I didn't find out I had a casein allergy until I was 40 years old) But food intolerances often have a delayed reaction that can show up a day, two days, four days, even a week later. Which makes it very hard to find out which food your son might be intolerant to.
I know. Been there, done that. My Integration Doctor did what's called an ELISA ALCAT test, which tested me for 100 foods. It's not perfect, but it looks at the most common 100 foods most people eat. That test costs about $199.
I know it's out of your own pocket (but you might be reimbursement through your medical flex plan), but conventional doctors don't test for food problems unless you're in the Emergency Room suffering from a really bad allergic reaction. It's just not something they do.
However, naturopathic and Integration doctors DO test for food and nutrition problems. If I hadn't gotten so horribly sick in Feb 2008 and my doctor of 10-years kicked me out of the clinic (he couldn't find out what was wrong with me and told me to go find someone else who could help me) I would have never found out the TRUE CAUSE of my problems/
sicknesses. We now know the root cause(s) and are working on fixing a lot of nutrient deficiencies and food intolerances.
I SO WISH my parents had discovered my casein allergy when I was little; a lot of the food intolerances I suffer from today might never have occurred. You have the ability and the chance to discover what, if anything, your son is allergic or intolerant to. Good luck as you look into it.
A.L. answers from Minneapolis on December 10, 2009
Quick question - Do you notice it while he eats or after you wipe him up? My daughter sometimes gets red, dry patches around her mouth when I wipe her face, especially if I use a wet wipe. Could that be the problem or do you think it is directly related to the food? Just a thought to ponder.
N.G. answers from Los Angeles on July 30, 2010
thanks so much for this question and all the answers - I have been wondering about a rash myself. I think u should take him to the docs - better to overreact than underreact - and even if it's not serious - it might be nice to know what it is so u can minimise the amount it occurs..
My youngest son (15 months) gets a simlar sounding rash but, I suspect it is a sensitivity or slight reaction to an additive or something. I have noticed it only occurs when I give him dodgey processed foods. e.g.
I first noticed it after giving him a crispbread with bacon and onion flavoured dip on it.
Then with bbq sauce.
and the other day I gave him half a jam doughnut and the same thing happened.
It's not raised, just red, sort of blotchy and seems to disappear within an hr or so. It looks a bit like sunburn - very red and comes out wherever the product touches his skin & around mouth.. It is not from wiping his face, as it is often in the shape of where the food comes info contace with his skin. I.e if he smears sauce on his cheek, then he will develop a patch of red directly under it in the same shape.
T.N. answers from Minneapolis on December 10, 2009
A., when our son was little, he use to get what sounds just the same, from syrup. For him, it seemed to be the corn syrup in the faux syrup we were eating. He would get syrup "stains" in the form of a red raised mark for about 1/2 hour, then it would go away. Needless to say, we switched to real syrup after that! So, check to see if there are any common ingredients in the foods that cause a problem and try to avoid them. That's really all you can do. No, as an 8 year old, our son has been tested for any food allergies and has come up negative. Sometimes it's just an irritation.
A.V. answers from Duluth on December 10, 2009
My daughters both got that after eating hummus. It's from the acidity in the lemon. They can still eat it, just wipe it off the face. With everything else, I'm not sure. Sounds like a sensitivity to something?
A.K. answers from Milwaukee on December 10, 2009
I have also noticed the same thing and it started with hummus! How interesting. I have been noticing it again recently around my daughter's mouth, but it's not every time and she doesn't seem bothered by it. So, I haven't done anything about it. I assumed it was a sensitivity to something as well, and I will have to pay more attention to see if I can determine what it is. Sorry, this isn't much help...good luck. Please, if you find out it's really bad, let me know, so I can act accordingly.