Bloodshot Eyes in My Toddler

has anyone ever had a toddler with bloodshot eyes? my husband thinks i'm crazy, but here's the deal - for the last week my son has: had diarrhea, leading to horrible diaper rash which we just got cleared up. then wednesday he had his 18 month check up where he got a shot (of course). the nurse said it's similar to a tetanus shot for us, which can get VERY sore (i remember!). i also think he has gone through a growth spurt since all of a sudden all of his pants are too small...a kid at his daycare has had pinworms AND head lice in the last two weeks...he has woken up several nights this week which is REALLY unusual for him - i did the "flashlight" test several times and have not seen any pinworms, and he's not scratching down there. no head lice either, and the ped. gave him a clean bill of health (from the whole 5 minutes he looked at him wednesday). but today, on top of everything (OH he has also been in a horrible mood for most of the last week or two, including today) his eyes have been bloodshot. i noticed it earlier today and it's now 3:30 and they're still all red. i hope this isn't too confusing...there's just a lot going on with this kid and i have no idea whether to worry or not. i've done all i can to rule out as much as i can, but the red eyes, i have no clue about. we did take him outside a bit this morning and it was pretty chilly so maybe he got wind in his eyes, but that was like 6 hours ago! i am just SO feeling that "something" is off with him...and i miss my happy kid! he has had symptoms of the "terrible twos" but this has been more like he really doesn't feel good. i don't know how to explain it...i might just be being paranoid but any ideas would be great...thanks!

thanks again for everyone's advice. well the long and short of it is, my son is much better. he spent the night with my mom sunday night, and came back to me monday acting like his old self. he was doing pretty good sunday before i took him over there, but yesterday his eyes were cleared up and he was back to normal, i'd say 100%. yay! i still say i was right that something was "not right" with him, but thankfully i do think it was just a combination of lots of "stuff" going on, and he's over it. i got my sweet boy back! hope everyone has a great week, thanks again!

I am a mother of 4 wonderful children and have been through times of not know what is wrong with my child too. If this is a recent symptom within the past few weeks, you wonderful child could be experiencing allergy related illness. Keep in mind, it is now Spring and everything is beginning to bloom. I know my eyes have been very itchy and I have been quite crabby myself. Might I suggest giving him some Benedryl and see if that helps clear things up.

Hi! Maybe his blood shot eyes are a result of allergies. It's getting to be that time of year. Or maybe he's just tired, since you said he hasn't been sleeping well. I don't want to say you're being "paranoid" because sometimes that motherly instinct is right, but try not to worry so much. Just keep a watchful eye on him and relax!

It sounds like he's had a pretty busy week! With him getting up more than usual at night, and being sore and achy, I'm betting he's just extra tired, and he's probably rubbing his eyes more than normal, and that is what is making them bloodshot.

Wow, that IS alot going on! Poor little guy!
First thing that came to my mind is the bloodshot eyes could simply be from loss of sleep. You mentioned he's been waking up at night. Yes, the wind could have blown some dust in his eyes but eyes usually resolve that on their own within a day or 2 max.

His mood: yeah it does sound like he's a little sick. Doctors look for clear, full-blown problems. The subtle things we notice about our own bodies or our children may not reach a threshold where a doctor will call it a problem, but that doesn't mean everything's perfect. There is a lot about our bodies & illnesses etc that the mainstream medical professionals just don't know yet. And some doctors will admit this. He's been exposed to a couple of things at day care, and with the shot he got recently that's just one more thing he was exposed to. He might have several low-grade infections he's trying to fight off (that's the way most vaccines work - they give you a very weak version of the actual germ so your body will fight it off - after you're exposed to it & fight it off, then you have the immunity). So none of these are reaching a level where he's obviously sick, but fighting off a couple of different things under the surface would be enough to make a guy a little grumpy.

There could be something more serious going on but your doctor couldn't find it so probably not. Just keep an eye on him. If it gets noticably worse take him back to the doctor. Otherwise, just nurture, pamper, and love him (be patient with his sour mood - assume it's because he's a little sick), and give him time. It's most likely not anything serious but just keep a close eye on him for any changes.

My children were always irritable during growth spurts so maybe that's it. As far as blood shot eyes, could he have allergitis which is allergies in the eyes? One of my children has this and gives her blood shot eyes, Only certain days and only certain times. It could be many things at one time and not just one thing causing all the things.

he may be severely dehydrated. this can happen after a bout of diarrhea, where the fluid does not get completely replaced. Winter will also make it worse because the air gets dry from all of the heating sources.... drys out your eyes and they can be bloodshot. Check to see if his lips are chapped or if he has any signs of dry skin or dry mouth. Dehydration will also give you major headaches and stomach aches and make you irratable. I would give him pedialyte and try to push fluids and see if it makes a difference. Also make sure you use a humidifier in his room at night. If it doesn't help then I would take him back to the pediatrician and have him look at him again with the new symptoms.

Have you recently switched daycares? I would take him to the doctor immediately! He could have a head injury that you are unaware of or it could be something else. I would definitely have the doctor check it out. Write down all of the things that you just listed in your question so that you are prepared. I hope everything is well. Good luck!

Trust your instincts. You know your son better than the doctors do, and if you feel there's something really not right don't let it go. Have him looked at again, and bring him to another dr. if yours isn't giving him any time. It may be nothing, but you need to trust yourself and have him looked at just to be sure, doctors don't know everything. Good luck!

I'd suggest taking him to an eye doctor. It may be pink eye or possibly allergies. It also could be exhaustion. Try putting him to bed one hour earlier each night. Good Luck. Kati

Do you have a doctor's exchange to call on a Sunday? I would call, just to be safe. I'm sure everything's fine. If he had a shot, he's probably still pretty sore. Red eyes could be anything. It could be the wind outside. Maybe he has allergies that are showing up from the wind blowing the pollen. It's really hard to say.

1 / 3