Blood Thinners During Pregnancy

I am starting my 9th week and my cardiologist wants me to go on blood thinner medication due to the fact that I have arythmias (sp?). I am now officially "high risk" and my ob/gyn has referred me to another group who specializes in high risk. I wonder, has anyone had this or a similar problem?

Hi! I do not know if this helps but I had a miscarriage before my first pregancy. Then my doctor tested me for cardio lipid protein antigen - the tendency for the blood to clot . He was very conserative and recommended I take an baby aspirin evry other day. My 3 pregancies went fine and I no longer have the antigen. Good luck!

hello and congrats on the pregnancy! i am the mother of three as well as an ER nurse so i hope what i share can set your mind at ease. during both of my pregnancies (the second one was with twins) i had an arrythmia which i still have now. the reason behind the blood thinners (coumadin? heparin?) is because with an arrythmia, you have an increase in the possiblility of forming a blood clot. unfortunately, pregnancy in itself is also a risk factor for forming a blood clot, so the double risk is why your doctor wants you on blood thinners. where as the above may sound scary, it is quite common and the blood thinners are just a precaution. what you need to remember is to take care of yourself, follow your doctor's instructions and ENJOY this special time in your life. it will all be worth it! and as for being "high risk", i was with my second pregnancy and it actually was great because i had frequent ultrasounds and saw the doctor quite often (which is always reassuring). so again, take care and enjoy. holler back if you have any questions! good luck!

Hi R.,

I'll be 9 weeks tomorrow. I am also on Blood thinners due to a blood clotting disorder that was discovered after my first miscarriage. Not fun - I have to ingect myself daily for the durantion of my pregnancy and 6 weeks after birth. How long do you have to be on it? A little about me: I've been married for a little over a year and this is our first baby. we're vey excited. It's been a long stressful journey but we're here and very happy. This is my 3rd try with in-vetro fertilization and thank goodness it was successful. So far so good - I already saw the heartbeat - that's what make those shots bearable. Hang in there. This is my personal email incase you ever want to chat or just vent ____@____.com. Congrats on your pregnancy. L.

R., I don't have any advice for you, but just wanted to wish you Good Luck! I had my first, and only child, at your age - it's such a blessing!

Hi rebeca!

Well my youngest sister after having a miscarriage of twins 4 yrs ago and then another miscarriage a yr 1/2 afterwoods she had several test done they told her she develops blood clots and needed to take blood thinners and also her uterus was to soft and that those were the reasons for her miscarriages.
Finally got pregnant after trying and trying, well she went to a high risk doctor here in miami his name is dr. Burkette excelent dr. He gave her blood thinners she needed to onject every day and also a med. To strengthen her uterus, well she has a lovely boy of 6 months now and as weird as it may sound she is almost 4 months pregnant again we say its a miracle baby because she had 4 yrs trying to get pregnat and now she is taking blood thinners again and the other med.

So dont be scared if thats what u need to do, just think positive and dont stress yourself its not good for u or the baby, good luck and god bless.

My daughter in law took blood thinners --heparin shots during her pregancy and all worked out with carrying and delivering healthy babies. She also went to a high rish doctors. Arrythmias need coumadin or other blood thinner to make the heart resume a proper rhythm and prevent blood clots. You can find out more on the med help .org and most of all ask your doctor questions until he gives you and explains your medical condition. Write down your questions before you visit him so you can clarify things .

I have a blood condition, Factor V Linden, which casued a miscarriage. So, I had to give myself blood thinner injections throughout my entire pregnancy. I was very nervous about having to give myself the injections everyday. But I can tell you I have a Beautiful and HEALTH 1o month old baby girl.

I am 36, this is my first child.

Dear R., I was with similar problem in my three gestations, and the arythmias are typical of this condition of blood thinner. Don,t fear, relax.The doctor will give, Iron to up the blood, because you are begginin your pregnancy, and you will need too, to eat food source of Iron like: beans, lentel, spinac, grape juice, prunes, etc, plus your medic. Be carefully yourself, think in you and your baby.God bless you. M..

1 / 3