Block Out Light

Hi There,
Now that summer is nearly here the blinds in our kids room is not nearly dark enough. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good blind that will block out all light?

We use roller shades with pully's on the side to roll the shades up and down. They're a heavy vinyl that we had custom ordered from a window covering shop. They were pricey but worth every cent.

Just to give you a warning. At my Dads house my dughters bedroom faces the morning sun. So what we did was take a shower rod and a black bed sheet and stuck it up. It worked great except for that it metled the blinds. Thankfully they were new blinds and still under warrenty. After that we learned to put the sheet in between the blinds and the window.

We love our baa baa blinds. They are blackout blinds that you stick directly to the window with suction cups so you get absolutely no light in. They are totally portable so can be taken with you on vacation, to grandmas, or anywhere they may sleep. I am currently writing this from a hotel in Scotland and my little boy is tucked up in his room with the blind on the window so he won't be awakened by the morning sun at 4.30. Instead he'll sleep until 8.30. Result.

I think baa baa blinds is a UK company but they will ship to the US. I just checked on their website. Good luck. If you have trouble getting ahold of one let me know. I know it's possible because one of my friends ordered hers online and she lives in Redwood City.

Take care. D.

Blinds.com has a double cell blackout shade that we purchased almost a year ago for both of my kids rooms and they have been great. Make a huge difference.

Easy to order and install...not cheap though...but worth it for us. We had tried cheaper ones without a lot of success.

Try this link http://www.blinds.com/control/product/productID,8761

I just happen to be a sales rep for Hunter Douglas...
also an interior designer...lcky girl! Just kidding.
If the existing blinds are in good condition and you like them you could add draperies with a black-out or thermal lining. it would dress up the window a little, add softness and probably be less expensive than replacing the blinds. JC Penney has a good selection of drapes with thermal (blocks alot of light) or blackout - makes it totally black.
If they are vertical blinds - it's time to replace them for something cuter and more functional.
Hunter douglas makes some really nice pleated blinds and Silhouettes that can come with a room darkening lining. They are more of an investment - but give you UV protection as well asl ight control and thermal insulation. SO - don't consider them if you aren't going to stay in that home for long.
Feel free to ask questions. I'd check out good old JC Penney first if I were you.
:)
Happy Mother's Day

velvet curtain...they work great!

I just bought the Bali brand blackout shades at Home Depot. They are really good. The honeycomb is lined with mylar. So, although the shades are a bright white color, they block the sun totally. Home Depot contracts with an installer that comes and measures and then comes back to do the install. It was a very smooth process.

you need a black-out shade to put behind the blinds or a thermal lined curtain to place in front of them.

HI There,

Check out IKEA. If they still carry them they are super easy to install and work great. And you can't beat the price!

http://www.aboutcustomshutters.com/damner-custom-shutters

I swear by them for the whole house...but especially for children's bedrooms!

1 / 3