Blighted Ovum and D&C

I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum (I'm about 9 weeks). I was given 2 options: One, have a D&C and get it over with sooner. Or, wait it out and let my body take care of it natuarlly. I was told waiting it out usually works out fine without problems but in some cases a D&C is needed anyhow, and this after usually weeks of waiting. So I chose to do a D&C (set for Monday afternoon). I am not going to be put all the way out (at least that is what I was told). My question is what should I expect just before, during and after. I haven't had a chance to talk to the doc. that will be doing it (I have seen her before but only for regular ob/gyn stuff). I will be talking to her for the pre-op stuff on Monday and I kinda want to know what to expect before that and have any questions ready for her.
Thank You SOOO Much
_Angelique

I would like to say thank you to eveyone for sharing your experiences. But I miscarried the sack a few hours ago. The cramping hasn't been very bad at all, at first there was a lot more blood that I thought there would be but it has gotten lighter. I spoke to the doctor that was going to be doing the D&C on monday and she said that as long as the bleeding isn't excesive (sp?) that I should be fine. But if things get bad I will go to the ER in which case they may have to do a D&C if not everything miscarried on its own. Otherwise, I'm going to see her on monday so that she can look at the sack and make sure everything is ok and go from there.
Thank You Again
-A.

I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. I have never had a D & C so I can't offer advice on that, but I wanted to write and let you know that after having two boys my husband and I conceived twins and around ten weeks discovered that one was a blighted ovum and the other baby wasn't viable. It was a painful, emotional time for all of us.
I chose not to have a D&C, but understand why someone would want to. It is a very personal decision. I just wanted to let you know that a few months after our loss we were able to conceive again and had a normal healthy pregnancy and had our daughter at home. Please know that I am thinking about you and sending loving energy your way. Feel free to write me if you need to talk.

April

Hi A.,I am actually going in for a d c on thurs. My little ones heartbeat was not found. After talking with friends who experienced this, they say they that they were given valium thru an iv and then it felt like having a pap done. They said they numb your lower abdomen with a shot. One friend said they were put all the way under and one wasn't. I would love to hear what responses you get since I'm in the same boat. Hang in there!! This all seems so surreal to me! C.

I had a D&C while miscarrying twins at 11 weeks. I was not given any anesthesia or pain medication because it an emergency. I was in A LOT of pain, but because I was bleeding so heavily, I wasn't able to get any morphine until it was over. Once it was over, the pain stopped. I continued to bleed for a couple of weeks (just like after you have a baby). I was given a prescription for pain meds, but I didn't even get the prescription filled. I guess it depends on your pain tolerance, but I survived. =) Good luck with everything, and I am sorry you have to experience this. I have had three miscarriages, one of which was a blighted ovum, so I've been there and know how much it sucks!

A. =)

My heart goes out to you. I've had 2 miscarriages. The first one I did the wait it out option, and it was horrible (won't go into details). After the 2nd one (at about the stage you are now) I opted for the D&C. My OB was WONDERFUL. His own wife had gone through the same thing, & he was as upset about the situation as I was. We did vicodin and valium (enough to make me so loopy I could not remember much). I still felt the pain and the sucking, & the noise from the machine they used was like a high power dental suction sound (I'd advise you ask to be knocked out enough to not really hear it). I was very crampy for the next couple of days, and the bleeding you'll have afterwards is similar to a period in intensity and duration. Again, my heart goes out to you - others may try to minimize the situation with kind attempts at trying to say things to make you feel better about what has happened. Try not to get too upset with them. They really want to make you feel better, but often just don't know what to say.

Hi A.
I'm sorry about your situation. I had a M/C at 10 weeks and had an unplanned D & C the same morning we realized we had lost the baby. If I remember correctly, the Dr. gave me a valium about 1/2 hour before the procedure so I was good and relaxed. The procedure itself lasted less than 5 minutes and was as painful as menstrual cramps. I had cramping for a few days and bleeding for perhaps a week or two. I would suggest bringing an ipod or something so you can listen to music during the procedure.
N

First let me say I am sorry you are having to go through this! I too had a blighted ovum and my dr suggested waiting for the miscarriage to happen naturally, but it never did and I starting looking pregnant. It was not pleasant and very emotionally difficult to deal with. I have had ultiple miscarriages, but never a blighted ovum, so this was difficult. Please be sure that you will not be awake for the procedure. I was in what they called twilight. My first D&C I was awake and the noise and pain was excrutiating. I would ask the dr if you will be aware at all. For my blighted ovum D&C I was not aware of anything and it helped with the emotional part a lot. If it is twilight that you will be under you will not know what is happening and then it will be over and you will be in a recovery room and then go home. Before hand you will have the anesthesiaologist (sorry I can't spell the technical terms) talk with you as to what to expect. You will get an IV put in and a nurse will talk with you. Then the dr will come to say he/she is ready and you will be wheeled into the op room. I remember starting to go to the op room, but the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery. You can e-mail with any other questions any time at ____@____.com luck with everything on Monday!
P.

I had a D&C in 2005 because I started not to feel well due to the non-viable pregnancy. I went to my doctor's office the morning of and he put a piece of seaweed on my cervex to dialate me ahead of time, which caused some cramping a few hours afterward. I had general anesthesia, which could or could not have put me out, but I ended up sleeping during the entire procedure. Afterward I felt fine and had very little bleeding. I did feel like I had a bladder infection because of the cathedor (sp?), but that feeling went away.
My friend, though, was dialated after she was in the operating room and had a decent amount of bleeding afterward.
I'm sorry you have to go through this. If it helps, I now have a very wonderful daughter who was well worth the wait.

The D&C gives you like a sharp menstral cramp during the process. You get menstrual type bleeding and a little cramping for about a week afterward.

1 / 3