Bleeding Sores on Baby's Bottom

I have a 10 month old daughter (I never had this problem with my son, who is now 3). She had a diaper rash that turned into these sores. They are not blisters (so i'm thinking there is no yeast/fungul infection). But they were bleeding, one has to be the size of a dime, maybe a little smaller. I usually used pinx sav and swore by it with my son, but it doesn't seem to work with her. I've been using desitine and aveeno baby rash cream, but nothing seems to be clearing it up. It's been about a week, they aren't bleeding anymore, but they are not getting any better. I thought an oatmeal bath may work, but i'm unsure. So is there any advise out there from you moms that have had baby girls with this prob?? I feel so bad for here and I haven't been letting her have any citrus drinks or red sauce food, b/c I'm afraid it will add more aggrevation to it. Please help if you moms out there have any hints or ideas that I can do to help cure this up a little faster. Thanks ladies..

Well the neosporin did clear the actual sores up.. but then the rash started to come back but bumpy.. so i did have to take her to the dr.'s (which sucks b/c I'm laid off w/ no insurance right now) and it did turn into a yeast infection. I had to get some of that special cream 3 x's a day for her bum. Thanks for all your advise.. I appreciate it. M.

You mentioned that you had stopped any citrus juice - if the baby is getting apple juice (any at all), stop that as well ans see if it helps. My dgd cannot tolerate any apple juice.

My daughter would literally shake in pain when I would try to wipe her bottom. I talked to a pharmacist and he told me to put her in a warm bath and then let her run around naked. That worked better than anything else. I finally realized she would develop this horrid rash when she drank juice, any juice, like juicey juice or orange juice. It could be the tiniest bit of juice and this would happen. She could have a bit of the cheaper flavored juices though, like Hi-C. I was also told to try the Lotrimin. Hope this helps.

My daughter would also get horrible diaper rashes that would turn ugly fast, and I swear by Triple Paste. It's a little more pricey but SO worth it! I hope you find something that works.

Hi, I didnt take the time to read all the other responses so Im sorry if this is a repeated answer!

My son did/had this and it turned out to be he was allergic to dairy products. Id def talk to your dr about this and see if its the formula or if its some sort of dairy allergy! good luck!

My daughter also used to get this. It took me a while but I finally figured it out that she got it every time she drank apple juice. Nothing seemed to work,until some one told me to try an antacid liquid. The sores are usuall caused by acid in her pee. I was sceptical then shocked when it worked. Just pour a little into your hand and gently rub it on to her every time you change her. An antacid is to neutralize acid and it does work. At the same time get her checked by a doctor and watch what she eats and drinks to see if there is a source that causes this to happen.

My daughter has had severe diaper rash as well. I have tried a couple of things to help. I use a squirt bottle with plain water to clean her up instead of using baby wipes that seem to sting. Also I let her run around without anything on her bottom to let her air out. That works the best- she would greatly improve in a day or so. Obviously you might have some accidents, but it is definitely worth it to avoid the screaming from being so sore at diaper changes. I would also see if you notice a pattern with the food she eats and the daiper rash, since food allergies can contribute to it. Good luck!

My son used to get terrible diaper rashes that also bled sometimes. His doctor always said to mix up a paste of Maalox and Aquafor. I know it sounds gross but it does usually work really well. It's a little hard to mix so the best way I found was to squirt some of the aquafor into a container and put it in the microwave for about 2-3 seconds, then add the Maalox. Mix up enough to keep on hand and just put a lid on the container. Put it on thickly every time you change her diapers. They also said don't use wipes, use a washcloth and warm water. If none of these methods work then she may have a bacterial infection and need a prescription to clear it up. I also found that he got the rashes more when he ate certain things like peaches. Best of luck to you!

My 19-month old son has the exact same problem this week with the raw, red and sometimes bleeding sores. Today I called his Dr.'s nurse because we've had to use warm washcloths to wipe his bottom because he cannot even tolerate the sensitive skin wipes at this point, poor baby! I've been using extra-strength Desitin but it is not helping this severe of a rash.

They called in a prescription for Bactrim. I assume it's just a lower concentration of antibiotic then Neosporin would have, although I've never used it yet.

I hoep she feels better- I know how awful it is to change a baby in such pain.

My son had a flash burn that bled. This came from the acid in his poo. The doctor said for me to create a barries between his bottom and wetness. I used Lansinoh Breatfeeding cream. It is a thick, tacky cream but it worked. Don't use it if your child is allergic to wool. It is a derivative. Also, let her go without a diaper as often as possible.

A.

1 / 3