Bleeding in First Trimester?

I'm 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby and I noticed yesterday evening that when I went to the restroom there was a bit of "dark" blood when I wiped. I called the doctors office immediatley and the nurse said it was normal and was nothing to be alarmed about but I've been up all night worrying about it. I didn't experience this at all with my first child and I'm scared to death something is wrong. Since last night, every time I get up to use the restroom there is a little bit of blood when I wipe (still dark) but there is nothing on the panty liner (possibly because I've been lying down since this started?) I'm hoping to get into see the doctor today because I'm really freaking out about this. Anyone out there experience vaginal bleeding for no apparent reason? The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is sex but it has been more than 24 hours or that I've started to drink cherry pomogranate juice. Although I doubt either would have caused bleeding?! Any advice appreciated. Thanks so much!

Thanks everyone for all your advice and kind words :)
I went to the doctor yesterday and while she couldn't tell me why I was bleeding or from where, she did say it didnt look like it was coming from my cervix. I was able to see the baby on the ultrasound and to see the heartbeat (which the dr said was strong!)
Again, thanks again to everyone! I really appreciate all the support and advice. :)

I had the same problem in my 5th pregnancy. I don't know what caused it - probably sex because that is something I didn't have much of in my frist 4 pregnancies. It went on for two days and then stopped.

As long as it's dark you are okay - I worried myself sick - even had contractions, but just tried to get off my feet and lay down.

I am 32 weeks now and everything is fine!

Try not to worry, I had a lot of spotting with both my pregnancies and everything was fine. A lot of times you get implantation bleed which is normal. I still have spotting and I am 21 weeks pregnant and I am an ultrasound tech so I know everything is ok. I hope this helps. S.

If you're really concerned make an appointment to see your doctor. I have had 3 babies and never bled during pregnancy, however I have heard of people that have. SOmetimes it can indicate a problem and without seeing you there's no way the doctor could know (or the nurse). ON the other hand it may be normal. Putting your mind at ease would be worth a trip to the doctor though.

sorry didn't see what happened til after i posted my response. But GLAD everything went okay. I'm glad you went in to the doctor. Always go in if you're worried. Better safe than not safe.

Hey T.,
Really, don't worry about it. I bleed a little in my first couple of months, even a little spotting in my fourth or fifth month. The dark blood is good, because it just means that it is old blood trying to make it's way out. Really the only time you should be concerned is when you have bright, fresh blood and enought to put a pad on. I'm sure you know this... but never where a tampoon while you're pregnant!

Good luck with your new addition soon arriving!

when i was pregnant with my daughter the some thing happened to me, and i was terrified. my midwife assured me that it was just (this might sound gross) old menstrual blood that is coming out because the uterus is stretching and shifting. this is why its so dark in color and why there isnt much of it. she had me come in and she examined me and we listened to the baby's heartbeat, and she assured me that unless i started bleeding heavily, everything would be fine. take a deep breath and relax, dont stress out, go in, hear the heartbeat. everything will be fine! congratulations!

This happened to me. I was told it was basically a period I was having. It is normal to not have a period during your pregnancy but some woman still have some sort of one.. and when I thought about it, it was right about the time I would have had my period, had I not been pregnant. but they said as long as it wasn't ALOT of blood.. that it was ok.

Hope this helped! Congrats on the pregnancy! =)
~J.

Dear T.,

I am a women's health nurse practitioner and a mom. Though this is a scary experience, many women (about 10-15%) will experience some bleeding in their pregnancy and still have a healthy baby. You're right to want to see your doctor right away, for reassurance. Please do whatever you can to insist upon an appointment today and be seen, Your peace of mind is important.

I hope that the ultrasound they will do, will show that the baby is fine. Sex can cause a little bit of spotting, the pomegrante juice didn't have any effect. If your doctor is concernd, they can do a culture to check for infection.

Good luck today with yor appointment. I hope that it goes well.

Barb

This happened to me with my first son, now 10. I thought I was having a miscarriage, I was also having sharp pains. I had to wait the whole weekend before seeing my doctor. My husband rented videos and we stayed in bed all weekend - he was great! I was at 8 weeks. I had an ultra-sound on Monday and everything was fine. She said my uterus was stretching the the spotting was normal. Just think positive and to ease your worries visit your doctor.

I have 4 beautiful children, all of whom I spotted and bled into my second trimester. It's hard but relax- dark blood means old blood. Go see DR immediately if it gets bright red- that means the bleed is fresh. I'm no expert but I did bleed with all 4 babies. The worst thing that happend in my pregnancies was that 2 of them were 4 weeks early and those 2 are my healthiest! I have 2 that have severe GERD but that has nothing to do with my pregnancies, it's genetic! Hope this helps you..... But still drink lots of water and don't over do it, your body sometimes tells you in strange ways that you should rest!

1 / 3