Bleeding Eczema

My 3 year old son has eczema and he has scratched it so bad that he is bleeding. Is it safe to put something over it so he won't scratch it anymore and make it bleed worse. The medicine we use on him is Mupirocin ointment which is generic for Bactroban (that is to make sure he doesn't get a secondary infection. We also use Triamcinolone acetonide which is the ointment. We us the Triamcinolone cream too. We use Elidel every once in a while but not too often. He is crying that it hurts really bad and that he is tired of itching. I don't like to see him this way but I really don't know what else I can do to help him. Please help!!
BTW We have taken him to the dermatologist twice in OKC. She told us to use a certain type of lotion. We are rubbing him down every night.

My daughter is now 11 months old and has had eczema since she was around 3 months old. After trying many things and a trip to a dermatologist we have it pretty much under control. Her worst spots were her cheeks (which would bleed at times) and her back. Basically I use free & clear detergents for laundry and run her things through an extra rinse cycle. I bath nightly in luke warm water and pat her dry then get her lotioned up right away. I use Aveeno free & clear soap/shampoo and Aveeno lotion. I also put lotion on her in the morning when I get her dressed. On her cheeks I put aquaphor on before bed and then at each diaper change I put some vanicream (ordered online - its an awesome lotion) on them. The key is to keep them from getting dry. It can be a pain but it is worth it. If I notice any bumps starting to come back I put some cortizone on and they are gone right away. Hope this helps.

We dealt with that for a few years. My son would scratch in his sleep. We used the same products until he became immune and we switched to others. Hopefully he will grow out of it like my son did. He is now 8 and it rarely flares up.

When it flairs it might be a good time to give him an oral antihistimine like Benedryl, just to take the edge off.

We're using the same medications although my boy really doesn't have a firm diagnosis of eczema. My husband and I have something similar and when it flairs extra doses of antihistimine are the only thing that keep us sane.

I know you can't call your doctor about this today but maybe you could just give him motrin or tylenol for the weekend and see if that helps and call the nurse on monday to ask if it's safe. I would think it is because we're treating my own boy with it but some kids are different.

Both of mine, same problem, they are both in "remission" from it now, THANK GOODNESS. Here's how I did it.
We used the Elidel, I know there were some reports about it's safety, but that was if it was ingested, and not used as a topical. It's safer than using a steroid creme, but if he's itching so bad he's making it bleed, it may be better to use a steroid creme for a short time until it heals and before he scars himself.

During our really bad times, I found giving mine children's benadryl really helped stop the itching. You can call your ped for dosage amount according to his weight. Also, my doctor has them both on Zyrtec, and I found that if I slacked off and did not give it everyday (because maybe we were out of allergy season and I didn't see any running noses) the eczema would flare up within a week. Once I kept them on the schedule of their daily allergy meds, not one more flare up. My daughter is 2 1/2 and has stopped allergy meds and in 6 months the eczema hasn't returned. My son still gets his every day at night before bed.

Remember, baths dry us out. Use only sensitive soap for dry skin on him and as soon as he's out of the tub, lotion lotion lotion. If you can skip a day without a bath, the more oil he'll retain in his skin, the better off he'll be.
Good luck and if he's not already on a daily allergy med, put him on one, if he is, maybe it's time for the doctor to up his dosage. Good Luck and God Bless.

I know this sounds weird, but try Crisco. The solid kind used for baking. It's supposed to help, and lets the skin breathe more than other products. Just use it sparingly.

All of these ladies have really good ideas. You could go with anyone of them. Speaking from personal experience, I was a child with severe eczema ( I still have it), beyond what the doctor's and advice from these ladies there isn't much you can do. I used to scratch and scratch, bleed,scab, scratch again and bleed again and of course cry about it. I suffered alot. After awhile I just learned to live with it and tried not to scratch. My mom even tried putting socks on my hands so I wouldn't scratch in my sleep. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Just make sure he is constantly moisturized. I know it doesn't sound like much but after awhile it helps alot. The important thing is to make sure you are there for him emotionally, especially if he dooesn't grow out of it by the time he starts school. Kids can be ruthless. Well, hope I helped!

You can cover the spots just make sure you put some ointment on it so it won't dry out. Our doctor suggested Benedryl. Suppose to help with itching too.
My 3 year old daughter has eczema too. And we tried all the creams and ointments. What I found works for my daughter is using Dove bath soap, not the bar soap.
Those expensive lotions they always tell you to buy don't always work. You just have to use any lotion to keep moisture in their skin. I stopped buying expensive stuff, and buy just generic lotions. Personally we use Baby Oil Gel right after her bath everynight.
There is ways to tell what is causing eczema too. You find the cause you find the cure. For my daughter it was soy products because she had an allergy to all milk products so she ate and drank soy products, and she gets flare ups if she is exposed to pets and certain laundry soap. There is blood test to tell but until they reach 5 the test is not always accurate according to our doctor. The way we found out was for food: expose her to the product for 4 days. Then don't give for 4 days. Day 5 don't give at breakfast, but give at lunch. Wait 30-60 mins see if changes. If not give at dinner and wait and see. You have to do this with just about all food products one at a time. Usually after the first 4 days of not having the product you will notice a difference in the eczema.
As for other products like laundry soap, we use Baby All. Everything else makes hers flare up.
Hope this helps. Best of luck.

yes My daughter who is now 7 did and still has eczema real bad. Expecially in the creases of her arms and behind the leg. My other son had it bad when he was a baby only. I have tried everything you are trying. WE first started using Elidel. Then the Triamcinolone acetonide. It seems to burn her because the exzema itches very bad it cant heal, then when u apply medication it seems to hurt. The AVENO baby stuff works great. IT has the oatmeal in it which is best when soothing the sores. Also avoid baby lotions, scented lotions and soap, and anything water based. This does not help any because it sits on top of the skin only to irritate it more. The AVENO stuff mosturizes the skin without irritaing it. So REMEMBER when using lotion or soap, look at the ingredients on the label if it says water 1st I would try a different products. As for soaps i would stick with antibacterial/non scented so it can be properly cleased and keep out bacteria!!Or oatmeal bath if its unbearable and keeps itching..

1 / 3