Bleeding Before My Period Is Due, Dark Brown, Maybe Pregnant?

Okay. I started spotting (it was light pink) on the 16th of October, 4 days before my period was due. It is now the 18th, and it has become an almost-normal flow, but it's very dark, slightly reddish brown. My period still isn't due, till the 20th. I've had mild cramps, and my lower abdomen feels tired, as if I've been working out (which I haven't). I've been very moody and forgetful, and I've been having trouble sleeping. My breasts feel slightly tender and kind of heavier than usual, too, and I've been going to the bathroom more often than usual. I also can't stand the thought of macaroni and cheese, which always used to be one of my favorite foods. I have also been experiencing slight headaches randomly, and my lower back has been very stiff and sore lately.

I went off birth control at the beginning of June, shortly before I got married, so that shouldn't be a factor. And the thing is, my cycles have been 29 days long, like clockwork, for the last 4 months. I want to be pregnant (my husband and I are TTC), but I don't want to get my hopes up. I took a HPT when I realized I was spotting, but it was negative. That didn't surprise me though, since I know it's really too early to tell. I just wanted to know if this sounds like it could be pregnancy, or if I'm simply seeing something that isn't there. Thanks so much for any advice you might have!

Well, I took the HPT this morning, and it was negative :-(

I figure it was probably just my period coming early, though that has never happened before, even before I went on BC. Oh well! Here's hoping for next cycle!!

Thank you, everyone, for your comments, and your advice ^_^

You might be pregnant. There is something called implantation bleeding that happens in some women. I don't know how heavy the flow can get. Also I have been pregnant twice and both times around the time that I would have been a week or so pregnant I got massive headaches. They kept happening up until the 3rd month or so. I feel like that was my bodies response to all the hormones. Good luck if you're not it's okay there is always next month.

You don't say what your periods were like before you went on the pill. It can take several months for your body to readjust after going off the pill. This may very well be what is going on. Having had a miscarriage, it does not sound like you are having one. I had severe cramping and very heavy flow when I miscarried. If you want to be sure, teh best thing is to make an appointment with your doctor.

I think you should take the guess work out and see a doctor.

Actually you going off your birth control in June could be a factor most types can affect your monthlies afterwards up to a year after ending. Good luck conceiving . Also as you get older your monthly can change. I would give it a few more days and just keep track of things

it sounds like you could be stressed. That can throw out your entire system. best bet, check with you doctor. Good luck and God bless.

I used to get brown spotting several days before my 'real period' started and someone told me it could be due to lover than average levels of progesterone. I never had this confirmed with a doc...may be similar to what you are experiencng.

I'd suggest a check up, especially if you are trying to conceive.

Good luck!!

It sounds like a period to me; perhaps you conceived but it didn't "take" and this is a very very early miscarriage. Perhaps your doctor could be able to tell but perhaps not -- very likely if you're bleeding like this, it will just be dismissed as your normal period only earlier than normal. With you going off of b/c, your hormones may not be totally adjusted. I've never been on birth control and am usually very regular at 29 days, but every so often, I go 31 days and sometimes 27 days.

Some of your other symptoms do sound like very early pregnancy symptoms, but that does not necessarily mean you're pregnant. Wish I could be of more help than this, but for now I would just chalk it up as an early cycle.

Go to your doctor. This could be may things. You could be pregnant and experiencing implantation bleeding. It could be an early miscarriage. It could be an tubal pregnancy. Or just an early period. You need to find out because a tubal pregnancy can burst and do a lot of damage if you don't bleed to death. If it is an early miscarriage then you can ask to have your progesterone checked and if it is too low take supplements the next time. I hope for you that it is implantation bleeding because that means you will have a little one in 9 months. But definitely see your doctor, you don't want to take any chances with your future fertility.

If you have recently stopped taking birth control pills then your cycle can change, and will often change over time. If you think you are pregnant, try an at home test, again. See your doctor. Good luck!

1 / 3