Black Stains on Bibs

My daughter recently began eating rice cereal and oatmeal. Of course the majority of the food ends up on her face or on her bib. I always rinse her bibs out after she eats but many of them now have black stains on them. It seems to happen mostly after she has eaten oatmeal. We wash her clothes every couple of days so I don't think it could be mold. It usually comes out in the laundry but not always. Any idea what these stains could be and how I can prevent them?

Yes, this is very normal and yes, there is definitely a way to get the stains out completely! Just soak them in a hot bucket of Oxi Clean for a day (or TWO!). This will get out just about every organic stain imaginable. I have NEVER had an organic stain that I couldn't remove with Oxiclean. In fact, I still have cloth bibs that I used with my first-born over 8 years ago and they still look great. Whenever they get really skanky looking with stains all over, I just give em a good soak for a day or two (along with any onesies or outfits that have stains). And, voila! Good as new. Not a stain in sight.

I get these on washcloths all the time, and I think it's from putting them into the laundry chute wet. It looks like there are good suggestions below...

It's mildew. Once it's there you can't get it out. Soak bibs in a bucket of water with a little laundry soap until you can get to them, if you can't do the wash every day.

SAHM of seven

L., these are called stains, and you cant get rid of them, this is why you never find any bibs at yard sales, after a while no one wants them, if you have a favorite bib you like use it more for spits than food, plastic will help get rid of the stains, and keeps it right off the bib, ive had three children, spit happens, D. s

I noticed them on our bibs too...mostly on the ones that had the plastic fabric stuff on the back. I think it actually might be mold because the moisture sits inbetween the layer of cloth and the plastic. But, not sure. I used them anyway...but soaked them in bleach every few weeks for just a few minutes mostly for piece of mind. I always washed bibs seperately from all the other clothes...cause of the bleach thing, and because of all the ishy dried-on food being processed through the washing machine.

the BEST stain remover I have ever tried is from Melaleuca - I buy it online and LOVE the stuff... It's called prespot and I've gotten out stuff I never dreamed would come out - even stuff that had been washed and dried a few times previously....
I haven't had nearly the success with anything I've tried from anywhere else - and I've tried them all - (we seem to be a "dirty" family!:)

Hi L.
With twins- bibs were usually an issue at about 12/day when they started teething.......
My inlaws taught me a true secret not to be kept quiet- any stained items, soak overnight in Biz- we had a bucket in our laundry tub.
Wash and all the stains come out. Make sure dark colors are colorfast.

Don't know what the black is from - sorry.

About me- 47yo mom of twins, med. prof., wellness coach

B. J

L., Is their any chance it could be banana? Mushed banana looks like little dark brown streaks after a while. Just a thought.

Try rinsing the bibs out with cold water as soon as you take them off. I feed my 7-month-old granddaughter oatmeal cereal, but always put a little applesauce in it and I don't seem to have a problem with stains.

1 / 3