Birthday Present for 4 Yo Girl

I'm in the midst of trying to find a present for my friend's daughter who will be turning 4 years old this summer. Her daughter loves dresses, princesses, barbies, etc. The hard part about buying her a present is that she seems to have so many toys already (e.g. princess dress up clothes, barbie dolls, purses, barbie cash register, toy laptop, barbie tricycle/scooter, tea party set, books, DVDs). Any ideas?

Two of my nieces wanted for nothing. It was a challenge to think of anything to give them as gifts. At about 4 years old, I gave them each a charm bracelet (the link kind). For each holiday, my husband and I have picked charms for the bracelet. The oldest one just graduated from high school. The bracelet is meaningful and special to them both.

Arts/crafts supplies or a beginning Klutz book--something creative always succeeds with 4s, even a new set of Play-Doh (you can never have enough brand-new Play-Doh!)

I have found the books, "A Princess Primer" and "Fairyopolis" are great books for young girls who are into the princess, etc stuff. These books are along the same lines as "Egyptology", "Dragonology", etc. Good luck!

I'm partial to gifts with some educational value to them - and since kids love to get stuff in the mail, how about a subscription to a kid's magazine like Highlights or National Wildlife Federation's "Your Big Backyard" (I know, not princessy, but perhaps the fact that it's something in the mail with her name on it will make it interesting)

Books are always great. You may find Fancy Nancy books or Princess books. I've even found a Fancy Nancy board game that is ages for 5 years old. I'm planning to give this is a little girl who is turning 6 and loves princesses and dressing up. She also has a ton of dolls.

If she gets to play on the computer, you could give her a Reader Rabbit computer game. My daughter has had the preschool version for several years and loves it! My daughter will be turning 5 in July and I'm looking for the Kindergartern version.

Another thing you could try is a gift certificate to a open play at a bounce house company or other activity place. That way it is less clutter around the house.

Hope you find some great ideas!

I like to give art supplies, such as paints and play dough, big pads of paper and sparkle markers, sidewalk chalk, etc. They have some great children's easels at Ikea, and there are lots of wonderful craft materials at Michael's. Art and craft supplies are so much better for their imaginations than most toys, and help develop concentration and fine motor skills.

My sons used to give their best friends homemade "gift certificates," that would say "This entitles the bearer to one playdate at the zoo, with lunch, on a Saturday to be arranged." Or, "this entitles the bearer to a day at Waterworld, with lunch and inner tubes provided, on a date to be arranged." Needless to say, these were really popular gifts!

Find out if she enjoys going to the movies. If so, you could give her a movie pass and Ice Age book or coloring book with it. The newest Ice Age Movie is coming out in July and they could take her to see it. The book or color book is the tangible item since 4 yo usually still does not really understand the concept of "gift cards". Most parents welcome book or art supplies no matter how many they already have on hand.

My 4 yo daughter, who loves barbies, princesses, etc. really loves doing art and playing with playdoh...check with the mom, but maybe you could get something like that with an apron to protect her clothes. Another great gift this time of year is sand toys to take to the park...those tend to break down in the sun and need to be replaced. We gave our friends daughte a "beach kit"...bucket and shovel with a cute character towel (we gave Dora) and some other small items. You could add in flip flops, sunglasses and sunscree to complete it. I let me daughter decorate the bucket with Dora stickers and a ribbon to make it fancier.

My daughter also really, really loves the Fancy Nancy books, so if you want to do books, they are fantastic. My friend who is a Kindergarten teacher also recommended the books Pinkalicious and Purplicious...I think there is a new one coming out or it recently came out too.

Email me if you want more ideas...good luck!

Gymboree Play and Music sells poster kits - one is a princess poster and the other is a pirate poster. They are big posters that you can put on the wall and they come with crayons. I don't remember the exact price but I think they sell for around $18 including tax. If you're interested, you can email me at ____@____.com. I'm not sure where you're located - my sites are in the East Bay (Lafayette, Oakland, El Cerrito).

1 / 3