Birthday Party Ideas for Christmastime Birthday

Hoping for some help... I have a fabulous and amazing daughter who will turn 2 years one week before Christmas. Planning a party is difficult because it seems everyone has Christmas parties and/or shopping and in this economy their pocketbooks are pretty tapped. I want to have a party nonetheless and I'm wondering if any of you great moms out there have any suggestions. I need help with the following:

* Should I state on the invitation "gifts not needed" or something like that to motivate more attendees?
* What theme ideas do you have?
* What money-saving ideas do you have?
* And finally, I've heard of some in this predicament to have summer "half-birthday" parties. Any ideas for the future?

Thank you so much all of your help!

May I suggest no birthday party this year, or just family? She's 2, so she won't remember it and probably doesn't even understand it. Wait until she's old enough to really understand what a birthday party is. When she does, try to keep it simple, an send out invitations to the party early in December so people can plan for it.

My daughters b-day is the 17th of December. We celebrate her birthday on her b-day or as close as possible to her b-day. Last year for her 2 yr b-day we only invited family. We just did a light lunch and cake and ice cream. We had tinker bell for the theme since she LOVED her last year. They don't need a big party with lots of people for their 2nd b-day. Good luck

I also have a son who will turn two the week before Christmas( Dec. 17). We gave him a big 1st birthday party 4 days before Xmas last year and it worked out great.

This year, since I am a SAHM and he doesnt go to daycare or preschool, we are going to have a small family only party in January, after the holidays. The no gifts is a great idea, but most people wont adhere to it. You might want to ask people to donate books or clothing that can be given to a womens shelter or something.

Since at 2 they still dont really understand what is going on, a large party may not be necessary. I gave my older ( a girl, 8 and son, 6) a big party when they turned 4 and it was fantastic! Instead of having lunch at your party, try just cake and ice cream or an ice cream bar- that goes over big with the kids!

I totally get where you are coming from.

I also understand that you are not just talking about her 2nd birthday, you are inquiring on birthdays forever.

My daughter was born on Christmas morning and though she will be three this year, I have tossed the idea around a lot.

Last year I bought her a little tree from Target, and decorated it with pink decorations. Hello Kitty and barbie, because she likes pink. All of her gifts were wrapped in Non-Christmas colors and set under the little tree. The tree is in the kids TV room and has small lights on it as well.

When Christmas morning rolls around no one opens gifts until she does. We all sing her happy birthday and then open our other gifts.

As for her parties when she grows up.. I've thought about *Leaving one room decorated in the theme of her party, that way she has ONE room that is only her birthday room. *Having 1/2 birthday parties *Planning something the weekend before (swimming party, etc) *Planning something the week after (a huge kids party on New years eve. Gives you something to do, and allows other parents to go out for the night!) (Or even better, a full day party with other kids and tell parents they can go shopping while you entertain the little ones)

Good luck with this, I know how hard it can be!

My little one's birthday is the week after Christmas. I got a lot of good advice when I asked about ideas for her 1 yr birthday. All of the comments basically came down to this. It really doesn't matter about the presents, or how many people are there, just make it special for her. Put up special decorations that are not christmas themed, and make sure to wrap any presents that she does recieve in birthday paper. When she is a little older ask her want she prefers, celebrate big on the day or do the half birthday. What ever she prefers make sure you celebrate the actual day.

My cousins are all born around Christmas. They do the “half birthday” thing. Mainly it just means that any parties and gifts are given at the half birthday, not the real one. It was especially great when they were little, because they could have their b-day in the summer and have the parties outside, at the pool etc. It was also nice for the adults as it is better to plan for that then have to come up with Christmas, and 3 children’s birthday gift money in one month. It was always exactly 6 month after (or before!) their real birthday, that way there was no grey area and they learned what day was “theirs.”

Their real birthday was not forgotten however. They received a card and everyone in the family would call to tell them happy “real” birthday. They all are now grown, the youngest a senior in high school. One of them even told me that if she had a baby close to Christmas, she would do the half birthday thing. I got lucky, my little guy was born June 25th. I didn’t even realize that it was exactly 6 months from Christmas until my nurse (who incidentally shares my son’s birthday) said, “well it’s perfect, he will get a party every 6 months, guaranteed.” Good luck!

Half birthdays are fine. I kinda wish they would have done something like that in school when I was going because my birthday is in June and we were never in school for it. I was never recognized. They seem to be a lot better about that nowadays. But if you want to do it on her birthday, maybe try a theme unrelated to Christmas. Like a "beach party" or "Hawaiian" theme in December. People can come dressed in a Hawaiian shirt, and you can decorate with little paper flip flops and beach balls. There's a really cute beach ball pinata project on familyfun.com where you can make it out of papier mache. If you do it, use very strong string so it doesn't get knocked off the string before the pinata actually breaks. We did that one for my daughter's birthday that was actually in June. You can get some of those cheap leis from a party store to hand out as favors, and let kids gather pinata candy to fill their gift bags instead of little toys and such that cost so much and just get thrown away after a few weeks. I think it might be a nice change for people to attend a summer party instead of a Christmas themed party at Christmastime. And your daughter will still have her day. But I agree, at two, a big to do is not as important. For my daughter that just turned two, we only had one family come over to celebrate, and it was really just to eat dinner and have cake. I decorated the island counter a little with a birthday table cloth, the cake, presents and plates/napkins. We ate outside. She opened her presents, which were minimal. Just a few things that she really likes, like a Sleeping beauty doll, a little dress up box that I made things for and put in a cute little pink furry box for her (it had a wand, princess hat, pink tu-tu type thing, feather boa, bracelets, lip gloss, necklaces and a small princess doll), a couple of books and a bubble machine. It was very inexpensive, yet just the right amount of presents for her to open without being overwhelmed. Anyway. Just some thoughts.

I'm a little late reading my emails, and see you've already gotten many good replies, but I wanted to throw in a couple of thoughts too.

First, my son went to a friend's birthday party last Christmas (the friend turned 5 on December 27th), and they held the party at a place called Amazing Jakes (like a Chuck E Cheese) and that worked really well because the play place wasn't decorated for Christmas at all so the boys all focused on the birthday party and not on the holiday.

Also, my sister's birthday is December 21st and growing up we always had parties at home around Christmas time. Granted not everyone made it, but we always had a few of her friends there. And as she got older she really like celebrating her birthday in December, rather than a 1/2 birthday party, because then she could ask people to combine her birthday and Christmas gifts into one larger gift that she wouldn't receive otherwise.

I have 4 kids and 3 ofthem are in the winter. If you want the party go to chuck e. Cheese ,or an indoor fun plex type of thing, a rec center usually has packages for gymnastics as well as swimming.
There is your bait. But it wouldn't hurt to do it in early november or late january. Your right it's not about the presents, but it makes all the more festive for a two year old. It is all your choice and if peopl don't come you might think about spending 2-3 days of doing all her favorite things ang going to eat at all her favorite places.
We gave up the big parties and spend all the time and $$ on them. Good luck and god bless

1 / 3