Birthday Party Ideas for 3 Year Old

I am looking for some inexpensive ideas for a 3 year old birthday party. My son is turning 3 and wants to go to Chuck E Cheese -- that can be expensive. Our house is pretty small, especially for several 3 year olds and their parents...We are struggling like most everyone else financially and are looking for some ideas on doing an inexpensive but fun birthday party for our soon to be 3 year old.

A huge THANK YOU to all of you for your suggestions! I am not sure what we are going to do yet, but thank you so much for all your ideas and support!!! I will let you know how it goes.

I have learned, the hard way, to keep birthday parties for a 3 year old small and simple. They are easily over stimulated with all the attention and usually melt down in the middle of what is supposed to be a happy celebration.
Trust me. I've been there, seen it, done it.
lb

Personally, I don't think a 3 year old really needs a party. Buy some balloons, make or get a small cake and maybe some party decorations and just have his favorite meal, a couple of presents and cake at home.

If you start having "events' this young, how will you top it every year? What will you have to do when he's 16? 18? prom, graduation? that's why so many of these events are getting out of hand.

Do something together that he will really enjoy, that will be "special" and that's it. My son is going to be 18 in a few weeks, like you, soon after Christmas. We'll be lucky to talk him into letting us take him out to dinner. He doesn't think being born merits a big to do.

I don't know how you feel about faith based things, but for my son's birthday this year we are doing a Noah's ark theme. I also have a VERY small house. We're doing his entire party (cake and decorations included) for about $35!
I found a GREAT cake recipie for a cake that looks like Noah's ark. If you don't want to make a cake, just make some cupcakes and put animal crackers on the top of them as decorations. Then serve Rainbow Sherbert with it.
For the decorations, I am using primary colored balloons that I blow up myself and hang from the ceiling with fishing line so that they look like little floating clouds with little blue raindrops hanging from them, and we are putting a rainbow up next to the food table in balloons. The table cloth is just one of the $1 ones in blue and all the plates and napkins the same.
Favors for the kids are little snack ziplock bags full of animal crackers with a tag printed from my computer with their name on it.
For an activity, we are watching a small 8 minute video that we have about Noah's ark (but you could read a book if you have one, or check a book or video out from the library) and we will sing a song about Noah's ark. I also found a really cute simple coloring book online: http://www.auntietrees.com/ark.html that I printed off and the kids will color it and we will put it together. That is another "favor" they get to take home with them.
We aren't going to have any extra snacks since the party is only 2 hrs long and the adults don't really care anyway. But the house looks great and the kids will have lots of fun! And best of all...it was totally cheap!
If you need any more help, or want my noah's ark cake recipie, let me know and I'll send it to you. It is so cute and looks like a little boat and everything!

Hope that helps!

You can do Chuck E Cheese cheaper than their birthday packages. We use two coupons, from the sunday paper and online. My husband order one pizza and I order the other and just bought a few extra drinks. My only suggestion is if you go there only do so on a weekday evening. Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays are so busy even at off peak times that you can barely find your kids.

PS. We spent less than $70 dollars and have a ton of tokens left over.

A three year old doesn't need many guests so the size of the house doesn't really matter. Play games like Pin the Tail on the Donkey, Drop the Clothespin in the Bottle, Toss the Beanbag into a Target (or whatever you draw on poster board) Get prizes, for everyone, at a dollar store, such as Dollar Tree. Make your own cake or cupcakes. Buy frozen pizza's to serve, if the pizza thing is a big deal. I did party's for three sons, always on a budget. Try looking on-line for party games, snacks, etc. If the weather is nice, go outside, play Red Rover, Follow the Leader, etc. It is all about having fun at this age! Peaceful wishes!

darn, I was hoping to scam an idea off your post. My daughter turns 3 in Feb. and hasn't stopped talking about her birthday party since Christmas. They have all out birthday parties at daycare (the daycare will transport them where ever the party is at). We have other friends we'd like to invite so we are hoping to play something on the weekend and maybe have a kid or two drop out of the daycare crowd. One of the kiddos recently had a b-day party at Monkey Bizness in Olathe...I checked it out b/c it was awesome...$200!!!!!!!!! I hate Chuck-e-cheese with a passion and don't want to have a whole bunch of people at my house.

Moral of the story...I guess I don't have one except that you aren't alone, b-day parties are rediculous but you totally can't skip them...if your kiddo is anything like mine, it is thier own speical day and they know it!

Hi! I'm pretty sure it was my daughter's 3rd bday that we did Chuck E Cheese. I did not, however go through them. I went as a public person and did one of those coupon deals with so many pizzas, drinks and tokens (there's one with like 100 tokens!) for like $40. Then depending on how many kids show up you can buy additional cups or pizza. Also, 3 yr olds dont tend to eat a lot, so you could ask them to cut the pizza in squares for less waste. We baked little cupcakes and brought them and supplied all our own plates etc. If you choose to do this, just mention somewhere that it's not a party through ChuckECheese so if they ask for that party, the facility won't have record of it and just to look for the ___ red balloon or whatnot.
Good luck and just have fun :)

Check our company at www.mobileteddybearparties.com. We are Johnny's Animaland. We travel to your house party and bring a make your own stuffed animal store right to your party. THis is a great idea! Call us at ###-###-####. We are in Southern California!

Good Morning P., What we did for our 3 yr old gr son's birthday is went to Mickie D's the one with all the play stuff. Everyone bought their own hppy meals etc.. and I let them eat when they wanted to. We took cup cakes. You could take Big cookies instead.
I had called about having a party there first and they have a Charge and they supply very little.

This way we just walked in and had our little get together.
They actually made more money this way.

Thats what we did and everyone seemed to have a blast.

God Bless and Hope everything turns out Great!!
Happy Birthday Little Man
K. Nana of 5

1 / 3