Birthday Party Goodie Bags for 2 Year Old Party

My daughter will be 2 right after Christmas and we are having a party for her the Saturday after Christmas. In the past for fer first birthday and my 4.5 y.o. son's birthday I always did little goodie bags with candy and some little toys from Oriental Trading or the dollar store. As you know, they can get expensive. Honestly, I don't know where it became customary to go and buy cheapie gifts to give to party goers. Basically the only people attending are family and the only kids that I will have are my daughter and son, their 3 y.o. cousin, 12 y.o. cousin and 9 y.o. cousin and possibly another young cousin. I need to do the party inexpensively. I am having a Minnie Mouse theme, but will print out images online and use them as decorations (I am an artist so it's pretty easy to go and make up stuff) and I always make my own cake (I am into cake decorating). I also plan on having a piniata and filling it with candy. Do kids really need a goodie bag of useless junky things? I know kids kinda like this stuff but is it necessary? I thought I could just do party hats, decorate some colored gift bags from the craft store and write the kids names on them to use to gather the candy from the piniata and maybe I could include a full size candy bar (and decorate the wrapper) or make up cookie pops. don't have a plan for games or crafts (any ideas??). I need some ideas. Last year my sister in law included a small toy AND a $5 gift card for Target plus candy in the gift bags for my kids little cousin (which I thought was WAY overboard for goodie bags, and his birthday is a week earlier than my daughter). I just don't want to come across as cheap but just something different. Also... I am a caricature artist too, so I 'could' do a caricature of the kids as a gift. I always do them at other parties so maybe I do them at my own party. Thoughts and ideas please....

You said: "Honestly, I don't know where it became customary to go and buy cheapie gifts to give to party goers." I don't know when it became expected that GUESTS at a birthday party would receive gifts at all.
I didn't do goodie bags, theme parties, and pay-by-the-head venues when my daughter was little. Kids came over to my house, they played games, ate cake and ice cream, my daughter opened presents, kids ran around and played in the yard until their parents took them home.

www.birthdayinabox.com

The personalized luggage/bag tags are GREAT.
Got some from my friend's kid's party... years ago.
We still use it, it is not junk, it is useful and very nice quality.
Their personalized things from Birthday In A Box, is great.

Trinket cheapie toys/candies will be thrown away.
Waste of money.

If you're doing a piñata--the bag o' candy from that IS the goody bag!
Honestly, no need to do any more than that.

I hate gift bags. I really, really, really wish they weren't "the norm." And I really don't think they're necessary for a family party. Particularly for a 2yo.

I like your idea of doing a caricature of the kiddos.

Just don't do them. Just don't. Kids don't need a present for attending a party, the party is the present.

www.birthdayinabox.com

Waste of money.

If you're doing a piñata-that is really a prize for all the kids. The caricature for each child AND parent would appreciate.
For my daughters first we had an artsy party. We had rolls of paper and different mediums-crayon, paint, markers,etc. This was outdoor do we had close line hung for the creations to dry. For goodie bags I made edible jewelry kits-o shaped cereal and gummy candy with shoelace licorice and elastic included. Easy and they were a huge hit.
Just trust your own judgement. Simple is usually better-and all that matters is that the kiddies all enjoy themselves. Mine still LOVE musical chairs.

I think giving a gift for attending the party is ridiculous too. No, it is not necessary. If you feel you must give a parting gift however, how about just a bag of M&Ms?

I think the pinata candy is plenty, but if you want to include something else, how about a Minnie mouse sugar cookie, you can make them and a small cup of frosting and sprinkles to decorate it. Or decorate cookies during the party as an activity. I did princess cookies for my dds 3rd birthday party, they were a big hit with the kids, and then the decorated cookies were their take home goodie. It cost me almost nothing.

1 / 3