Birthday Party Goodie Bag

Does anyone know what the rule is for giving out goodie bags to invited guests who can not attend the birthday party? I was always under the assumption that goodie bags were given to guests who attended the birthday parties.

Yes, goodie bags are for guests who come to the party. When my kids were small, if someone rsvp'ed "yes" but then at the last minute the kid got sick and could not come, I still gave them one next time I saw them, the poor kid was always so disappointed to miss the party, that made them feel better. I also think of the goodie bag or party favor as a "thank you" for a gift. If someone who didn't come gave a gift, I would pobably give them the goodie bag too, but someone who just rsvp's "No" wouldn't get one.

I have three children and the oldest one is 12. We have seen a TON of birthday parties!! I have never received a goodie bag from a party we couldn't attend, nor have I given one to a child who didn't attend one of my kids' parties. To be completely honest, 99% of the goodie bags we receive go to the trash within a couple of weeks anyway. It's either a bunch of candy (they get a few pieces and the rest gets tossed) or cheap little trinkets. The only ones we kept longer than a couple of weeks was a small pot w/ seeds, and a foam door hanger with a bag of stickers.

If they can't be there but send a gift I think you should give them a goodie bag.

I'd also give one to any kid that sends a gift, even if he/she's not there...

I used to make enough goodie bags for all the invited guests. However, if someone was unable to attend and sent a gift, I'll follow up with a thank you note and a goodie bag.

I would only give to the guests that attend.

Only to those at the party UNLESS there was a child that RSVP and got sick and could not attend. Then I always get the goody bag to them so they don't miss out on everything! Also if there are siblings that are attending and 1 can not come for somereason I always send a goody bag home to the child that couldn't attend!

General rule of thumb - if they give you a present, they get a goody bag.

1 / 3