Birthday Party Gift Bags

Im starting to plan a party and im curious about the 'gift bag' for guests. We never had this when growing up. I know its normal to do nowadays but is it odd to anyone else to give gifts to the people attending the party. What happened to just coming to have a good time?

Im strapped too... last year doing snacks with drinks and cake was close to $100. That is not even the gifts for my kid! Its horrible to think that I cant give a party because the gift bags take it over budget. I know its not what other people think, but Im curious what other parents thoughts of attending a party without getting a gift bag?? When we get one its useless stuff anyway.

I loathe gift bags!! Don't worry about it. Maybe they can make a little foamie craft or something as part of teh party activity, and that can be their take home thank you gift.

Last year, I bought mini playdoughs, there was like a package of 10 for $2. I tied them individually in cute ribbon and handed them out as a thank you favor. Party favors for 10 kids was less than 3 bucks, and they loved it. You could even do that with those mini bubbles, or just like a little baggie with a cookie or some popped popcorn in it.

Gift bags are a racket and not needed. But if you want to do something the past couple years in the gift bags we have put big chocolate chip cookie and a note saying thanks for coming. that's it. not junk from the dollar store, nothing to go in the landfills. the only other items we have done is sidewalk chalk which you can get a package of like 20 pc for a couple bucks. but we like the cookies best.

I think gift bags are ridiculous! But I have done so just because I wasn't strong enough to say no. The older the kids got, the less I did them. Instead I would do other things....crafts they take home, helium balloons I decorated with sent home with each child, etc. I wish I had been strong enough when when my kids were younger to just say no as I was strapped for cash! I finally did when my son turned 11, is diabetic and I was not buying candy or "junk". Not one child noticed!!!!! Good Luck

Honestly, I'd be THRILLED if our kids didn't get goody bags. They're always filled with cheap toys that break right away or candy I don't want them to have.

I agree with CAWriterMom completely. I hate goodies bags. Skip it and have no regrets!

Let them take home the party hat, or decorate something and let that be their take-home (ie - decorate the construction tool belt, take that home. Or decorate the cookies with icing and take home the extras).

I don't expect a bag. I don't want a bag. I think it's all b/c the kids expect one? Let the kids take a balloon home and they'll be happy. Save your money.

I've responded to many of these types of posts. You may want to do a search for more responses.

HATE HATE HATE goodie bags. We didn't have them when we were growing up.

You offer your guests food, entertainment, and a social environment for their enjoyment and in return they give you a gift. Then you send a thank you note. That should be enough.

If you feel you must give something then skip the "goodie bag" and give something that doesn't get thrown in the garbage. You can usually find something at the dollar store. Other suggestions...
bubbles
coloring book w/crayons
book
beach ball
sidewalk chalk

Maybe something from the dollar store, like a colorful ball, a pack of stickers or even a pack of crayons(at Target they are like $.69 now). It can be something they can use for school like a decorated pencil or something.

1 / 3