Birthday Party but No Friends :(

My son is turning 3 in November and we are having a really cool birthday party for him at the Texas Transportation Museum. We rented the Caboose for the party room and everyone gets to go on train rides. I just know that he will love it. The only problem is that we just relocated to SA in August so my little boy doesn't have alot of friends. The only kids his knows are in MDO. Here's my question: Although I have never met the parents, should I invite the kids in his MDO room to the party? If we do not invite them then the only people that will be at his party will be family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins) and I would like for him to have a good time at his birthday party with kids his own age. By the way, it's NOT about presents--he has plenty of toys!

I always have this problem since we are military...now that my son is in school we invite the entire class...yes...we don't know them all especially since his bday is in Sep (the beginning of the school year). So invite them...this is a good way to meet them and their mommies.

Good luck...and I do know how you feel...you feel bad for you son...and this will change and before you know it will have a network of friends for you and him.

Hi L....
I would certainly invite the kids from MDO as those are his friends and I know I would let my little one go. Also, have you thought about joining a moms group or anything to find friends for you and your kiddos? I belong to one and we love it.

I would invite them. Those are the kids he hangs out with and hopefully has fun with.
I would also look into a mommies group for you. I moved here last November and that's how I met all of my friends here. It's so hard when you're not working to meet other people and when you're home all day with the kiddos, you need a break.
Good luck and let me know if you want some info about our mommies group.
-A., mom to Zack (1/31/05) and Zoe (6/18/07)

My son had his b-day party there 2 yrs in a row! He loved it! The room only fits about 20 or 30 people or so but it's so much fun. I invited the kids from his MDO group and they absolutely loved it! My son is 6 now and he still talks about his parties there when he turned 2 and 3. Invite them, the more the merrier! (It's also a good way for you to meet the parents of the kiddos your son is playing with). HAVE FUN!

I have a 4 year old daughter who just started her pre-school a month ago and one of the moms gave out invitations to all the 20 kids in the class for her son's b-day party at an "Art Works" place the first month of school. Since we are new to San Antonio as well, I was happy to attend the party and get to know some people and the place itself was great as well. It is an art studio for children and they do fun parties. Anyway, I think it is a good way to get to know people and your son will have much more fun having his friends there.

You should defenitly invite them. Most people in SA are military or have moved here for job reasons. And we all feel the same way as you. I am in a mommy group that is great. Just go to meetup.com and find the closest group to you. It was the best thing I did for my kids and me. By the time you have another birthday party you will have plenty of friends.

I don't know what an MDO is, but it never hurts to invite people, just don't be discouraged if not many come because they don't know you. For most parents, just make a note that they are welcome to come with their child and have them rsvp so you know how much food etc. to have.

Depending on your budget and how many kids in class...this might be a GOOD way for him and maybe yourself, to make some new friends. ( you also get to met the kids parents ...I like to know the parents of kiddos mine talk to you know?!) Anyways have fun!

since you are new to the area this is actually the best way to meet new people. This is a win win situation because your son wil have kids there his own age and you will get to meet new people.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am always hesitant to invite people to my son's birthday in October because he hasn't been in school in his new classroom very long and we don't really know the kids.

But, I have learned from other parents who invited us to parties that we do not know well to just invite them. My son has gotten countless invitations from kids that he barely knows and we go to the parties and he has a blast. In fact, one of my best friends is the mother of one of those parties.

All mommies expect to buy someone a present when they go to a birthday party and they don't feel bad about it, because when their kid's birthday comes up everyone will be buying for their child.

So don't worry, invite the MDO class and have fun.

Yes, invite the MDO friends!! If you feel self concious, you can even put something on the invite that says - please no gifts (however, I've done this, but everyone brings one). An alternative would be to ask for guests to bring a new copy of their child's favorite book. So, it doesn't cost much and if you get duplicates you could donate them back to your MDO program. This is a perfect way for your son to have a fun time with more friends and for you to meet potential new friends, too. One of my kids has a birthday in August, so it's been hard in the past, too, to think of people to invite. Just invite anyone you have met that has children - even if you've only met them once. Again, they know you are new, so what better way to meet new adults & children. Have fun!

L.,
don't hesitate to invite the children from MDO. This is not out of the ordinary. I own an hourly drop-in center and a lot of times at my center is the only place the child is around kids his age so parents will ask me to pass out invitations for them. Go anhead, it will also give you a chance to make friends.