Birthday Goodie bags..ideas Anyone?

Planning a birthday party for my daughter who will be 7 in Dec. Not crazy about doing a goodie bag but feel obligated. We just moved to this area and have already been to a party where of course we brought home a goodie bag. Honestly those little plastic toys that come in these bags are entertaining for about an hour after the party. I am looking for some ideas to put in these bags if anyone has any and would like to pass it along, it would be appreciated. The only thing I have in mind right now is a book for each child with a book marker....

I'd like to thank everyone for their honest input. Although I'm still thinking about not doing them but my one option is that I may order packs of books from Scholastics (my daughter's school gets credit for it), break up the packs and (more cost effective than plastic toys in a bag) give each child a book and marker and hope I helped them improve their reading with a cute book.

I am not big on the whole goodie bag thing either but like you felt obligated. I usually try to have them do a craft and that is what they take home. I have also decorated with helium balloons and attached them to a pack of gum and then sent them home with the kids. This kind of thing always killed two birds with one stone. Either gave them something to do or decorated for the party and then sent it home with the kids at the end. The kids loved both of these and I never heard any of them ask for goodie bags. My daughter went to one party and it was a superhero party and they all made superhero capes and then that was what they came home with. It lasted way longer that those doller store toys and she loved it. I hope this helps.

I've been ditching the goody bag idea and doing one large candy bar with a wrapper printed on the computer that says "Thanks fro coming..." You could also do a bag of microwave popcorn like that (Thanks for popping by..."?
If my son does get a goody bag--he likes pencils, markers.
Really, wouldn't the book and bookmark be enough? Tie them up with some cute raffia maybe?

A Lego pack for boys and a small craft for girls (a braclet or necklace craft). That and some candy and a Japanese eraser will do and will cost about $5 per bag.

One year, instead of goodie bags, we made cd's of my daughter's favorite music and put a picture of her on the cd (at any of the Office Supply stores you can get CD labels that you can print a picture on by running it through a color printer). Parents and kids loved it and still listen to the music.

How about just snacks in there, instead of toys? Goldfish crackers, trail mix, etc...

What is the party theme? My son turned 4 in August and I did personalized aprons b/c he had a cooking party. I personally hate party bags but love the idea of something the party goers can use. How about a gift certificate for a snow cone or ice cream shop in your area?

I'd suggest checking your local Michaels or JoAnn craft store - they often have cute calendars in their dollar bins and some have different pictures to color each month. One year I bought a bunch of "kids art calendars" at Michaels for $1/each and packaged them with a small box of markers (50 cents each at a post-back-to-school clearance).

Didn't read the other responses, but we started giving $2 gift certificates to Baskin Robbins instead and those have gone over really, really well!

1 / 3