Birthday Cake with No Eggs or Milk in Recipe for 1 Yr Old?

Hello fellow Moms! My son is about to turn one in a few weeks and we are planning a birthday party for him this weekend. The pediatrician would like us to hold off on introducing milk and eggs (egg whites) until after my son's first birthday. So now I'm trying to find a recipe for an egg-less and milk-less cake. Any ideas?

I just wanted to say "Thank you!!" to all of the wonderful, thoughtful responses and advice about making a cake that's milk and egg free. Not sure which one I'm going to use yet - I have so many wonderful ones to pick from. Thanks again!

I made a regular cake for my son since he didn't show any signs of alergies prior to his birthday - even though I was kinda mindful about the egg white and milk thing. He had no problems and had a blast digging into his own cake... I actually added apple sause into the cake instead of oil (but I suppose you can use apple sause to substitute egg whites and just use the yoke) and you could probably use a lactate or almond or rice milk instead of cow milk...

www.pamelasproducts.com has the best chocolate cake and frosting. We did use butter fo rhte frsoting and NO one could tell it was wheat free, gluten free and dairy free.

here is a simple easy recipe..... take any cake mix (boxed) and one can of diet soda. If using white cake I use diet 7up or sprite and if using choc cake I use diet dr pepper, thats it mix the two and pour into baking dish as directed on the box.... bake as directed on the box (the last 10-15 min I start watching depending on what kind of pan and my oven is older so it varies).

I wish I could take credit for coming up with this but I got it from one of the leaders at my Weight Watchers meetings the best part is a piece of cake is about 1-2pts depending on how big the piece is and you can frost it with cool whip or fresh fruit...

I have a recipe for a cake from Weight Watchers for you. You take a chocolate cake mix (regular two layer size). Mix in a 12 oz can of Diet Coke (or other diet cola). Put in a 13 x 9 pan and bake according to the directions on the box. I know it sounds funny, but it turns out perfectly and looks like any other cake. If you want to use white or yellow cake or spice cake you can use a can of Diet 7up or Diet Sprite. You can top it with fruit, Cool Whip or powdered sugar, or regular frosting. It tastes just great. Hope this helps.

My daughter is vegan and we make dump cakes for her that taste wonderful and are so very easy to make. Any flavor cake mix will do, but read the ingredients when you make the selection. Some have milk in them and some don’t. Mix the cake mix in a bowl with ¼ cup vegetable oil and a can of pie filling. Don’t over mix. The batter will be lumpy because of the pie filling, but make sure the cake mix is completely moistened. Bake at 350 in a 10in square pan until the cake is firm. This makes a very moist cake with delicious pieces of fruit in it. You can frost with icing or dust with powdered sugar. Check the ingredients on frosting label to find one that doesn’t’ have milk. Some really good combinations are cherry pie filling with vanilla cake, or apple pie filling with spice cake. Enjoy!

Can you do cake for everyone else and a fancy juice jello mold for the baby? Fun and squishy...he'll love it!

Best wishes,

The Joy of Cooking cookbook has a great dairy free chocolate cake recipe that I have made - it was a hit!

I just googled "milk free egg free cake" and this is one recipe I found that looked good;
http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/mix-in-the-pan...

Henry's sells cake mixes that are dairy free. I just made one a couple of weeks ago for my daughters Birthday (one child has allergies) and they were a hit! The cake mix didn't have dairy (mainstream cake mixes will!) and then I used ground flaxseed as an egg replacement for baking rather than eggs (it tells you on the box how to do this). You can also find yummy dairy free frosting mixes.

Best wishes,

Look at the Cherrybrook mixes at Whole Foods and some grogrocery stores. I know Albertson's used to carry the line of products in their organic aisle and ralph's has that type of stuff next to the traditional baking mixes. The chocolate chip cookies are our favorite!!!

This is the Cherrybrook allergy statement:

ALL BAKING & FROSTING MIXES
All mixes are prepared in a peanut-free and tree-nut free facility. The mixes are produced on dedicated equipment that does not produce dairy or egg products. We have strict manufacturing protocols, and we test for the presence of peanuts, dairy, and eggs.

The GLUTEN FREE DREAMS mixes are also tested for the presence of gluten, in addition to all the other tests noted above.

ALL READY-TO-EAT COOKIES
All ready-to-eat cookies are prepared in a peanut-free and tree-nut free facility. The cookies share equipment with products containing dairy and egg. However, we have strict manufacturing and cleaning protocols and test for the presence of peanuts, dairy, and eggs.

The GLUTEN FREE DREAMS cookies are also tested for the presence of gluten, in addition to all the other tests noted above.

ALL READY-TO-SPREAD FROSTING
All ready-to-spread frostings are prepared in a peanut-free and tree-nut free facility. The frostings are prepared on dedicated equipment that does not produce dairy, egg, or gluten products. We have strict manufacturing protocols, and we test for the presence of peanuts, dairy, eggs, and gluten.

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com

My DD had a milk/soy/egg allergy as an infant, but she outgrew it at 9 months. I think when the doctor say to wait..it is to avoid that allergen until their immune system is strong enough. His first birthday should be plenty of time as usually most babies with dairy intollerance/alleries outgrow it by a year. If you have breastfed him and ate milk/ eggs yourself, he probably doesn't have a problem. This is how we discovered my DD allergy...and when I was BF I had to cut these allergens out of my diet.
Just my personal opinion...but I would give him the real deal cake and let him enjoy!

I used a recipe from my 'Simply Natural Baby Food' book.
It's called Pineapple-Carrot Cake, and it's really yummy.
2 eggs (or egg replacer in your case)
1/3 c. maple syrup, honey or brn rice syrup
1/3 c. plain yogurt
1/4 c. canola or safflower oil
1 3/4 cups crushed pineapple, drained
1 1/2 c. grated carrots (about 3 carrots)
2/3 c. minced walnuts, almonds or pecans (optional)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 300. Oil a 9-inch springform pan(i'm sure it could be any pan. Beat together egg replacer, syrup, yogurt, and oil until smooth. Stir in pineapple, carrots, and nuts. In seperate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and spices. Stir flour misture gengly into carrot batter. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 60-70 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and frost with Pineapple Yogurt frosting- Line a collinder with cheesecloth. Place a dish underneath to catch drippings. Pour 16 ounces plain yogurt into coloander. Let drain in refrigerator overnight. Place yogurt cheese in bowl and gently mix in 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained. Spread over cooled cake. YUMMY!

Hi E.~

Sprouts, and other natural food stores sell milk-free, egg-free cake mixes. There is also an egg replacer product called Ener-G (comes in a box, it's a powder)that you can sub for eggs. The cake will have a very diffedrent consitency and taste, but for a 1 year old, it should be just fine. If you need help, let me know, I make children's cakes as my say-at-home mommy business- www.sdcakelady.com. I also make a dairy-free buttercream frosting that my clients swear by : )

Sincerely,
N. Barone
The Cake Lady

E., check out www.greencups.com, I am pretty sure they are egg and dairy free. If you live around south orange county you can try them at the Gloria Jeans coffee place in the mall. If you don't I have tried them and so have my kids and they are great. Good luck and Happy Birthday to your little guy!

How about an apple pie, or something?

I think that your doctor meant to wait until he's one to try milk and eggs, but a couple of weeks before won't make a big difference. If he's allergic to milk or eggs now, he still will be in a couple of weeks. I would try a little bit before you make the cake to see if he reacts (hives, trouble breathing, redness around eyes and mouth: all with eggs), and go from there. If he does have a reaction like this, get help immediately. If not, go ahead and make the cake like you normally would. Have fun at his party! :)

Check out this website:

http://www.egglesscooking.com/2008/08/25/eggless-chocolat...
It's a vegan chocolate cake. It LOOKs good.

Maybe instead of a cake...use his favorite dessert as a "birthday cake" or make/buy an apple pie.

Hi E.,

Check out www.sweetalexis.com for baked goods that do not contain eggs, nuts or dairy. A friend of mine started the company a few months ago and makes the most wonderful loaf cakes (which you could cut into shapes and construct a fab birthday cake), cookies, etc. You will not be disappointed, and neither will your son. Good luck!

Very tough!!!

My son is lactose intolerant. I get his cakes at Porto's Bakery in Glendale and Burbank...they do specialty cakes. They did one that was dairy free and whipped frosting, that was amazing and great for my lactose intolerant family. I'm not sure about the eggs though...my son's pedi said it was okay, as cake it such a small amount of eggs. But, you can shop around to different bakeries and ask for help on that one. I couldn't manage to find one, so I wish you good luck!

Hi..don't know if this will help, but through Weight Watchers they have a "recipe" for cake that you just take any-type cake mix...like Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines, ANY flavor, mix it in a mixer bowl with 1 can of diet soda, any flavor and bake according to box instructions. You add NO eggs, NO oil, NO milk....we, at Weight watchers add fat-free Cool Whip on top for the "frosting" once it is cooled to room temperature and keep in the refrigerator...my family likes this BETTER than the 'normal' way. It turns out just as good as if you added the eggs, oil, etc. It's simple, cheap and another option for cake.

Mix in one can of soda with the mix, nothing else. Bake as directed! Yum! (You can add diet soda if you're watching calories, but probably not necessary for a 1 year old!)

pumpkin or apple sauce
turns out more like a muffin, my son loved it
flaxseed meal also helps